Games that made you cry.

CMDR Zero C

Jan 12, 2009
I was recently playing Valkyria Chronicles (PS3), a great game with great story, and memorable characters. Not going to spoil what happens but i had gotten attached to one of the characters from the squad and she up and died (cutscene death i couldn't prevent) and i cryed a bit a the funeral for the character. Has anyone else had a game that made them feel like that.

the spud

May 2, 2011
OT: I have never cried over a video game, but the closest I have gotten was at the end of Terranigma. Anyone who likes RPG's with great stories should give it a shot.

Odyssey to the West

Nov 21, 2010
The ending of Fatal Frame two made me want to curl up in the corner and sob, not gonna lie. The only other games that have come close were Enslaved Odyssey to the West (mostly cause they ended so abruptly and there isn't going to be a sequel) and Bioshock. The first game was just so heartwarming, but the semi-good (and the normal one) ending in the second game... shameless tears.

fabrimuch

Sep 28, 2011
The ending of Metal Gear Solid 3 was the most depressing thing I´ve seen in any medium up to date.

R.I.P. Boss.

Edit: Now that I´ve seen the post above, I remembered the Fatal Frame series endings to be quite suiciadally depressive too, especially because those are the canon endings instead of the good ones.

Odyssey to the West

Nov 21, 2010
Gah, I know. There is no 'good ending'. Each one is defined when at least one main character dies.
Fuck FF4 though, I don't count that as part of the series, it was crap.

Shakomaru

May 18, 2011
Yup this deserves an "oh look it's this thread again" indeed. It still hasn't chang- Wait it has. Harley Quinn. Every single time she cries. :,(

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
The good ending to Bioshock 1 made me cry like a baby.
It was a beautiful ending. Just beautiful.

SoupCanX

Nov 7, 2011
I actually began to tear up a little bit in Battlefield 3 actually...

At some point you start as some guy in a tank, and he's just messing with a Dino Toy his son gave him, which is a little sad. Then normal shooting for quite some time... You have a last stand... Blah blah blah... And the guy is captured and about to be executed. The antagonist also explains how the toy reminds kids how they are loved, and how watching his father die will make him a man. The guy is executed and at that point, it's some really good character development, however I didn't know his name...

None the less, it was sad to think about.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I did tear up a little with joy tears near the end of Ghost Trick, such a fucken good story.

Blue Horn

May 16, 2010
I got a little teary eyed in Ico , when [spoiler/] Yorda saves Ico from falling of the bridge, only to have him slip and fall at the last minute [/spoiler]

Red Sky Morning

Jan 8, 2011
I got a manly tear at the end of "Homefront", do those count?

At the end of the final battle on the Golden Gate Bridge, air support cannot differentiate between friendly and enemy forces when you and the team are outnumbered by a large Korean convoy. Connor swears and lights a flare, charging into the convoy while ordering an airstrike on the colored flare he's carrying, all while you can only, helplessly, watch.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
Do trailers to video games count? No? Damn, I can't yank out "The Last Guardian".

Well, "Earthbound" did it for me. With the combination of the final battle and the end credits song "Smiles and Tears", I can always shed a tear for that.

I guess my first little sister I ended up saving in Bioshock does it for me too. I have a deep psychological issue about protecting things, so seeing a little Sister and having the option to save her or kill her never becomes an issue, and the result of seeing a little girl come out of it makes me emotional.

I can also relate this to Ico and King Kong: The official Game of the Movie. I do not know what it is about with me, but I'd save them every time and not have it feel like a chore to me.

Oh, and Splatterhouse. The Original Splatterhouse with that one boss fight...

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
Heavy Rain. Twice. First when
I lost Jayden in the trash compactor. He was my favorite character, and I felt like it was my fault that he died (well, that WAS my fault)
and then again when
Ethan got killed by the snipers, thanks to the asshole Blake. Come on! This went through Hell and back to save his son, and this is how he ends (not always of course. That's just one of the endings)?

Many people bashed this game, but F them. HR is awesome, and really moving if you'll just give it a try and not dismiss it as 'movie, not a game'...

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
(Oh look, it's this thread again etc etc.)

Never.

A few have kinda-sorta approached that stage but thus far, games lack that kind of emotional weight. Odd, since books and movies make me tear up all the time.