Games that were surprisingly moving.

Koganesaga

Feb 11, 2010
The original Samurai Warriors, Yukimura Sanada's ending. I Love it, he fights for what he believe in until the end, not even dieing by someone's hand but instead by pure exhaustion and the next Shogun's last words to him. It's just beautiful in it's own way.

Generally I love the moments were one person boldly sacrifices themselves for the greater good of everyone else. It's just a great act of nobility and courage that gets me.

For example, I forgot what game it was, but there was a town being attacked by an imperial army, and the main character actually jumped into the battle and started fighting all of the soldiers that were attacking the villagers, and as they all flee he stands at bridge, fighting them all, and even after he villagers leave his field of view he keeps fighting to be sure they get as great a chance to escape as possible. In the end he holds them off for around an hour until the enemy finally just bombards him with arrows, and even that doesn't being him down, he continues to fight, but all the arrows in him impede his movements and the start getting more and more hits in on him. Eventually the enemy commander appears and he tries to strike him down, but the commander just runs him though with a halbard, and he bleeds to death with the last words "I'm sorry *insert characters name here*, it looks like I've failed you".

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
A lot of Mass Effect and subsequently Mass Effect 2 moved me. I saw on youtube the way the paragon Jack romance ends and I gotta say it made me smile. It was sweet.

Also in Mass Effect 2, Mordin's loyalty mission, the combination of Mordin being horrified by the dead Krogans and that one scout who was more or less weeping on the floor because he didn't think there was any hope left.
It was sad and I did smile when Shepard convinced him to return to the camp.

Plus I felt moved in Mass Effect 1 by Wrex's decision to still side with Shepard even after the confrontation on Virmire.
Plus, I have to say it, the relationship between Shepard and Ashley in Mass Effect 1 was a highlight and felt very real, plus in Mass Effect 2 the subsequent confrontation when they reuinited was realistic and sad but the resulting email she sends to Shepard by way of apology was a nice heartwarming sentiment.
The final scene before the Collector station where Shepard gazes at her picture, a great moment told without words but rather emotion and it worked perfectly.

Whatever, Mass Effect was full of those moments.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Also must mention in Halo 2 where the Arbiter hears from the Monitor itself that the Halo rings are weapons and not holy icons. It wasn't so much the way it was told, just the idea of it. Being told that your entire self worth and culture and everything you strived for was based upon a lie would certainly hurt.

ejb626

Aug 6, 2009
You'll probably never let me hear the end of this, but I was actually kind of moved by Katamari Damacy's end credits song (It was in Japanese with English subtitles and it called for world peace, I really wasn't expecting this after I had rolled up an entire city and several islands, no doubt killing all of the people in those buildings and islands and such when this became the Moon)

HobbyJim

Aug 4, 2009
There were a few moments in Beyond Good and Evil that kind of struck me. I think there's a scene where you have to rescue your pig friend from a torturous prison, or something...

That and twilight Princess. Holy cow, I didn't expect anything remotely close to moving from a Zelda game. Further more, there were some choice moments in Brutal Legend that I got little worked up about. SPOILER: The scene where Lars dies and you leave the girl behind. I kind of felt bad for her.

PixieFace

Mar 17, 2010
"A man chooses, a slave obeys." God DAMN. Uncontrollably beating a man to death by his demand with a golf club. I was not expecting that. Then Fontaine! I mean, I knew Atlas was probably up to something, but I kept denying it because I liked him so much. Arrgh, so much drama!

Then later, when you have to turn yourself into a Big Daddy. Jack never explicitly said anything, but slowly turning yourself into a monster... I dunno man, that sequence really messed with my head.

I didn't enjoy the sequel all that much. I found myself emotionally detached from everything that was going on. By the end, I was just rushing through everything so I could just get it over with. But then that sequence about seeing the world through the Little Sisters eyes came, and... Wow. I wish there were more moments like that. That was messed up. The posters from their brain washing days, the beautiful splicers that would just stare at you, the idolized sculptures of Delta, and the flashes back to reality... Really emotional scene for me. I was not expecting anything like it.

In my first run through, my city elf was romancing Alistair. I didn't want Alistair doing it with the stank witch so I refused the ritual. I kept telling myself he'll be okay, something will happen, it'll all be okay. But then Riordin died I was like GOD DAMNIT FUCK. Okay. Okay. Maybe Morrigan will come back at the last second. We were good friends in the end, she'll come through. But nah, ***** left me for good. Alistair just DIED so my elf could live. FUCK. I have never been so emotional about a silly game in my life, ever.

Nooo, Eli! All my friends saw it coming, but I didn't. It made me really sad, especially when Alyx started crying. :(

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
BlazeTheVampire said:
Lost Odyssey.
When Kaim's daughter dies-- I was so choked up.
Damn you, ninja'd by mere seconds. That entire game is twisted, I remember being depressed for an entire day after you read the first forgotten memory, let alone at the end of disk 1.

Also, I feel obligated to mention the ending of Metal Gear Solid 3. I must have seen it 10+ times by now, and it's still hard to fight back the tears.

I think the key is people crying in the background. In each of these examples there's massive crying going on, maybe it's our nature to go along with it.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
I mentioned this before,
but when Dom finally tracks down his wife in Gears of War 2, that was sad. I figured they'd just give you the happy ending... not that.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
shadyh8er said:
I almost teared up when Kratos killed himself at the end of God of War 3 in order to unleash hope upon the human race. I never expected him to do something so selfless.
Really? My only reaction was

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
I'd have to say Republic Commando. Yes, I know I'm obsessed with this game, shut up. But really, I never expected the game to have an ounce of sadness and then...
Sev dies... I will remember you always, Delta 1207, I will remember you... And what made it more moving was the fact that you could tell the rest of the team REALLY wants to go back for him, but they can't because of their duty...
I came very close to crying... I remember I had to actually stop playing games for a couple hours so I could get my emotions under control...

Shut up, real men cry...

disturbed117

May 13, 2010
Not in order. Bioshock,Silent Hill 3,Silent Hill Shattered Memories,MGS1+ many a few other i cant Think of the names of.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
For me it was the first Oddworld game. The Good Ending, with the shot of all the Mudokens you rescued appearing around the ritual circle, casting a mighty spell to save their savior, and then the cheering crowd after they spirit you away, was just great.

Cab00se206

Jul 9, 2008
I found it really moving in Dragon Age how
after you've spent the entire game as a female character romancing Alistare, flirting with him and talking about his background, but when you advocate him taking the throne, he says that the two of you can't be together due to the Darkspawn taint of the Grey Wardens. He gives up everything you both wanted for the greater good of his new responsibilities. I was really bummed by this, and actually quite sad, because by this point I really liked Alistare.

Also, in Mass Effect 2 when
you and Tali begin a relationship, but because of her immune system, even taking off her suit is such a dangerous thing, but she is willing to risk it because she wants it so much. It's really quite moving, and very sweet.