Game's that you could 'lose'

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Really Escapist? Really? Have I missed a mention of Dwarf Fortress? The game where failing is the only option.

Losing. Really. Is. Fun.

Dwarf Fortress and Terror From The Deep taught me that...

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Ankh said:
I am surprised no one has said Golden Sun, because near the beginning of the game after you get through Sol Sanctum and you talk to the old guy in the sanctuary he asks if you accept this quest (to save the world) and you say no, and if you do and walk out the door it says "and the world slowly drifted to its destruction". I mean come on how much worse can an ending get if you get it at the beginning of the game?
Dangit, I came in here to say just that. D: Fine, I'll go with another one:

Tales of Destiny. There's a "supposed to lose"(by that I mean you really are supposed to lose) battle with Leon Magnus. Kick his ass and sit back and enjoy beating the game super early. I think it also has something to do with the destruction of the world. It's been a long time, I can't remember. I just know it's not a good ending.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Since Spec Ops has been mentioned repeatedly (with good reason, mind you), I'll go with the Clock Tower games, particularly "II/The Struggle Within/Ghost Head/Whatever it's called".
There are about 13 endings in the game, and nearly all of them involve you dying in some completely unremarkable way. Some of them are actually remarkable because of how unremarkable they are. Best example; Ending G, which is achieved by not looking at a suit of armor in the first level. It is so dumb that it must be seen to be believed. And remember, this isn't a simple 'Game Over'; this is an actual ending.
Skip to 10:04 for the dumbest thing you'll ever see.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
DoPo said:
Seth Carter said:
Its a tough one to explain without spoilers, but I'd say you prettymuch lose by default in Dragon Age.

You either go back in time to loop around again, or you become an invisible ghost that no one can see wandering the world until the next Arisen challenges you
Is this in Awakening? Because I only played the base game and I don't recall that.
Oh woops! Someone fixed it up there, but Dragons Dogma!, not Age.

Speaking of which, you can also lose straight up in it if you take the Dragons deal.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Nobody has said Pikmin yet? It's a particularly nasty one too- any wasted moment can not only cost you your life, but also your entire save game. And, unless you know exactly what you're doing, it's entirely possible to make the game unwinnable early on and not know it.

welker_83

Dec 28, 2012
fallout 3 ending using president edens serum to kill most of the wastelanders is kind of losing

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Orginal Half Life had one where you have a "choice" between going to sleep and and getting gang banged by many, many aliens...unarmed.

No regrets Dr. Freeman

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Really? did I just miss it or did no one say KOTOR? if you take the Sith ending you most definitely do more harm than good.

Mordekaien

Sep 3, 2010
Jade Empire, hands down.

Before fighting with the last boss, he gives you his reason for doing things his way and his vision of the world... and you can agree that it's the right way and let yourself be killed. You get a statue and will be hailed as the hero who helped main evil guy rose to power.

That game has one of the best story ever written, so, go play it.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
God of War 3. It tries to make it sound like life will start over without the tyranny of the gods, but in reality admit it: Kratos just caused the apocalypse for petty revenge. And he dies anyway, with no Hades to climb out of.

Zio_IV

Not a Premium Member
Sep 17, 2011
While I remember some of the ones already mentioned, I'll go with Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow.

Basically the character Soma Cruz (the human reincarnation of Dracula) gets tricked into thinking his girlfriend got killed, goes absolutely batty-nuggets, and willingly lets himself become the new dark lord because he "no longer cares". I honestly thought it was a more interesting ending than the canon one, myself.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Anti-American Eagle said:
I'm still not sure of this but metro 2033 could count here.
Both endings left me feeling a little shaken. Either commit genocide (the true ending btw, it's in the novel) or let said race's fellow monsters keep slaughtering humanity. The Grays may want peace, sure, but everything else sure as hell doesn't! In the book, though, the Grays were just another race of Dark Ones and so were the other mutants. In the game, the Grays are Dark Ones and the mutants are just deserving cannon fodder.

Meatspinner

Feb 4, 2011
Longstreet said:
Dishonored comes to mind.

Either knock everyone out and get rid of your targets in a less lethal way and you get a nice ending.

Kill everyone and you got one homicidal girl.
Yeah, but you don't really lose per say. All your enemies are dead and...
...your daughter sits on the throne with you as the power behind it

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I played a "retard run" for Fallout: New Vegas, in which I deliberately picked all the stupidest dialogue options. The ones I never would have even considered selecting on a typical play through.

* I got Boon to murder his comrade, and then told him I did it for the hell of it.
* When interrogating the centurion, I punched him to death, even when he offered the necessary information (I refused it).
* I managed to get the NCR monorail blown up.
* Pissed Caesar off by constantly waking him up (on a replay, I fucked with his auto doc and got him to die)
* Messed up on guard duty repeatedly, culminating in a suicide bomber blowing up that plasma vending establishment.

And many more! Try it, if only to see what kind of mischief and bullshit you can cause!

Cyrus Hanley

Oct 13, 2010
Splinter Cell: Double Agent

You can nuke New York by fucking up disarming the bomb or just letting it tick down to zero.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
In Shadow Complex you can stop chasing your girlfriend into the secret military base and run out of the cave and back to your car to drive away, with the hero saying "Plenty more fish in the sea" or something like that.

Costia

Jul 3, 2011
Amnesia
In one of the endings you just stand there, being totally useless.

snappydog

Sep 18, 2010
While I've not finished it myself, everything I can find on Final Fantasy XIII-2 seems to suggest that
there is no good ending, and whatever you do will always result in that guy doing some shit and the world ending or something.
Feel free to correct me on that, anyone who was able to actually get through the whole thing.