Games that you enjoy, but the critics did not.

BoredAussieGamer

Aug 7, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
The Punisher from 2005. It's a perfect Punisher game. I love it. 10/10. Even the music was freakin' awesome.
Yaaaay! Someone else remembers and liked this game.

OT: Well, there's The Punisher game from 2005, and Alpha Protocol (I don't think it deserves a free ride, but it deserves some credit). Not really much else I can think of.

Gone Rampant

Feb 12, 2012
DishonoredElderSouls said:
Gone Rampant said:
Zykmiester said:
Medal of Honor Warfighter had awesome multiplayer and I enjoyed the campaign which IMO was the best military FPS campaign since COD4
... *Picks jaw off floor*

Oh God, we've one of those people who like spunkgargleweewee over here.

Also, I enjoyed Black Ops 2 more then I thought I would, simply because due to the choices, it kinda felt like Treyarch actually tried in this game.

I don't exactly...get how you couldn't feel hypocritical while writing that post. Go Yahtzee one second, then discuss MORE spunkgargleweewee almost immediately afterwards?
Because BLOPS2 tried to make Menendez sympathetic and they added in Strike Force to add to the experience. As a general rule, I tend to like campaigns for COD, whilst hating the multiplayer.

Besides, I played it last month for two days. For all I know I'm talking out of my ass and it's complete crap.

Jun 21, 2013
Gone Rampant said:
Because BLOPS2 tried to make Menendez sympathetic and they added in Strike Force to add to the experience. As a general rule, I tend to like campaigns for COD, whilst hating the multiplayer.

Besides, I played it last month for two days. For all I know I'm talking out of my ass and it's complete crap.
Okay, that's a fair defense. I understand now.

On a different note, I haven't gotten to play Dead Space 3 yet, and I'm wondering how many people consider it good. Anyone willing to bring up their opinions on it?

Zetsubou-Sama

Mar 31, 2010
Final Fantasy X-II

I mean, it has the most optimized turn-based system of all Final Fantasy allowing both strategy, fun and speed, and a great implementation of the job system. The story really picks up after Act 1 and allows you to explore a world after the Big Bad has been vanquished, developing the growth and change of characters that never had time to have fun and the way they must confront things that were supposed to never come back gave me chills.

If you look away from the J-Pop tone of the first Act it's one of the most solid Final Fantasies of the last ten years.

Gone Rampant

Feb 12, 2012
DishonoredElderSouls said:
Gone Rampant said:

Okay, that's a fair defense. I understand now.

On a different note, I haven't gotten to play Dead Space 3 yet, and I'm wondering how many people consider it good. Anyone willing to bring up their opinions on it?
Thank you. Always nice to have a peacefully-ended arguement online, considering that... well... the internet is full of assholes.

It's a lot less horror-y then DS1 and 2- even the Severed DLC has more scares. The Awakened DLC's more focused on scares and has a *really* Fridge Horror-filled ending, but aside from that DLC, DS3's essentially a 3rd person shooter with more gore and attempted horror. *Insert joke about the scare chord not shutting up while a Necromorph's alive*

HOWEVER, the Co-Op's actually kind of enjoyable with another friend who knows horror tropes. Spent a weekend ripping the game's plot apart with such a friend.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
bigfatcarp93 said:
Halo 3: ODST.

Fantastic game with well-done gameplay, excellent pacing and atmosphere, and a soundtrack to die for. Still, critics largely hated it, calling it a "Four-hour expansion." Even discounting Firefight Mode, I'd like to point out to these math-class rejects that the campaign is seven hours long, and does not feel like a Halo 3 expansion at all.
Maybe it took you seven hours, but it took me around 3, so clearly it varies from person to person quite a bit.

OT: People should really check what the critical reception of the games they're mentioning actually was, seeing a lot of quite positively reviewed games being thrown around here. Dragon Age 2 was less well recieved by the community but did ok with critics, as did every Call of Duty and Final Fantasy game. Hell, the Op mentioned I Am Alive, which got fantastic reviews!

I'll toss my hat into the ring with Alpha Protocol as well.

L4Y Duke

Nov 24, 2007
Gone Rampant said:
I'm the same way. I've owned all of the MW series, as well as Black Ops, and the campaign was usually why, with the exception of Black Ops which I got on 360 for the single player component and the split-screen zombie mode.

It's not like I didn't give the multiplayer a go, though. I reached 4th prestige in MW3 before giving up entirely due to being sick and tired of all the goddamn hackers everywhere on the PC.

Keymik

Oct 18, 2008
EstrogenicMuscle said:
Apparently, Tales of Graces f.
Look at that like bar. Clearly I'm not the only one that disagrees with this review.

This game is a masterpiece, and one of the best games for the PlayStation 3. People who have a PlayStation 3 and any interest in RPGs should get this game. A lot of the criticisms I outtright disagree with. The story isn't perfect, but is still quite good and entertaining. Also, a lot of criticisms of this game should be put aside. Considering this game was originally for the Wii, what it has accomplished is pretty impressive.

And this game was a huge recent release. And I spent several months playing it as soon as I got it. Very happily.

The combat is amazing. The story is entertaining. The characters aren't always the most memorable you've ever met. But are still heartwarming and will work their way into your heart. And there's a wealth of content despite any shortcomings. And easily a better game in pretty much every aspect other than graphics, than Final Fantasy XIII.

This game isn't anywhere close to a 6.7. The game is deserving of an 8.7 at least.

To be fair, the Western gaming industry and perhaps the West in general tends to be fairly ignorant about both Tales and Dragon Quest. Which are considered the big three in Japan, but only Final Fantasy is known in the West. And most people don't seem know know much about anything that hasn't been connected to Squaresoft in some way over the years. The CGR review of Tales of the Abyss was one of the worst reviews they've ever done.
It really shows how overrated and over-publicized Squaresoft is in the West.

Though the misunderstanding of the Tales franchise is particularly notorious in the West. Even Jason Schreier of Kotaku who spends a lot of his time being one of the few in the industry who defends Japanese RPGs. And in fact spends a lot of time doing so. Doesn't get Tales at all, because it isn't a part of his Final Fantasy and Suikoden childhood. And sort of begrudgingly admits that Tales games are good for Tales fans. There's a lot of heavy bias in his words against Tales, that he wouldn't put at other franchises. And I very much am not someone who has Jason. I will very much defend him on his Dragon's Crown article. But I think he is very clearly prejudiced on the subject of Tales because it isn't a franchise he is nostalgic for.

You know what appraisal I would give Tales? The franchise that Final Fantasy wished it was right now. And consistent works of quality that don't take nosedives. Rarely has anything in the Tales franchise been even remotely subpar. The worst game of which probably being Tales of Symphonia: Ratatosk. And even that is a better game than Final Fantasy XIII.

When you buy Tales, Shin Megami Tensei, or Persona. You get quality. That is something no longer guaranteed out of Final Fantasy. And Tales of Graces f and Tales of the Abyss are both great games. Far better than they are sometimes rated. In fact, I would recommend anyone here now who is remotely interested in Japanese RPG to pre-order Tales of Xillia immediately. It has a great story and I don't think you'd be disappointed.

I guess I can't complain too much. All of these ignorant reviews from folks like GameTrailers, CGR, and Kotaku. Because it shows that the West is still discovering the Tales franchise. And it means that more people, thus, are discovering this franchise. Which means more fans are on the horizon. It's a bumpy start, but hopefully it leads somewhere after the fallout of Square Enix. In the meantime, however, reviews like this are another Shenmue catastrophe.
I don't know who are but.. I love you! :D
I agree with you completely on this matter, the Tales series just doesn't seem to be getting any love(Atleast not around my area) and it's sad because they're generally great games!
Don't really have much more to say that hasn't been said better in the quote above.

Jun 21, 2013
Gone Rampant said:
Thank you. Always nice to have a peacefully-ended arguement online, considering that... well... the internet is full of assholes.

It's a lot less horror-y then DS1 and 2- even the Severed DLC has more scares. The Awakened DLC's more focused on scares and has a *really* Fridge Horror-filled ending, but aside from that DLC, DS3's essentially a 3rd person shooter with more gore and attempted horror. *Insert joke about the scare chord not shutting up while a Necromorph's alive*

HOWEVER, the Co-Op's actually kind of enjoyable with another friend who knows horror tropes. Spent a weekend ripping the game's plot apart with such a friend.
Yeah, I was just kind of confused initially. Also nice to have someone who won't start screaming insults during an attempted resolution.

And that is pretty much what I expected from the game. Y'know I was never scared by the first two Dead Space games, but I appreciated that at the very least they tried. Though they weren't scary, they were unnerving enough to provide them with a unique setting and atmosphere for a third-person shooter, which made them two of my favourite games this generation.

Thus, I've never really viewed Dead Space as a horror series, but more as a sci-fi saga with a creepy atmosphere and great gameplay. This probably made the concept of Dead Space 3 a lot more palatable for me than for most people, but regardless I really dislike a lot of the new stuff it seems to do. Despite this, I still think it looks good enough to pick up and enjoy for a while. I really like the way that the game plays, mainly in the way you control Isaac. Hopefully it won't be too bad. I expect to enjoy it despite what the critics say.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Shocksplicer said:
bigfatcarp93 said:
Halo 3: ODST.

Fantastic game with well-done gameplay, excellent pacing and atmosphere, and a soundtrack to die for. Still, critics largely hated it, calling it a "Four-hour expansion." Even discounting Firefight Mode, I'd like to point out to these math-class rejects that the campaign is seven hours long, and does not feel like a Halo 3 expansion at all.
Maybe it took you seven hours, but it took me around 3, so clearly it varies from person to person quite a bit.
I'm starting to think that because it's a Halo game, maybe everyone else just rushes through it by expectation. It takes me longer because I treat it more like a Half-Life game, taking the time to look around the city and soak in the atmosphere.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012

I can believe that some critics don't like this game......
Even if I am not a fan of the series and I don't get all the reference, this game is pure AWESOME!!!!
Skullmageddon [the villain] must be one of my favourite classic evil guys of my life. And his laugh....OH this laugh!!!!! My body is ready every time I hear the evil laugh of an angel linking with pleasure my ears....
Enemies,bosses,jokes,awesome combat moves,bro moves.
And last but not list.....the ending.

SPOILER BELOW FOR THE ENDING!!!!

5ilver

Aug 25, 2010
I loved the hell out of Deadpool and Remember me but critics seemed to think they were mediocre or straight up bad o_O

It's the opposite with Bioshock Infinite- critics seemed to think it was a masterpiece of unimaginable proportions, I couldn't help but think it's not very good.

5ilver

Aug 25, 2010
zombiejoe said:
Oh, and how could I forget Alpha Protocol

Despite the universal negative reviews, I, along with many others, find this to a fantastic game. That great dialog system, the stealth, the twists and turns. The gameplay itself is actually very good if you understand how the game is meant to be played. It's not a run and gun, like reviewers seem to think it is. It's a slow, tactical game. You need to actually line up your shot, wait for the right moment. It takes time and patience.

Though the boss fights were poor, the rest of this game is great.
The sad thing is - it could have been SO MUCH MORE. If only they had fixed the horrible launch bugs and balanced the RPG elements. It could have been straight up Game of the Year, maybe even the successor to Deus Ex.

AidoZonkey

Musician With A Heart Of Gold
Oct 18, 2011
I feel dirty saying this but Sonic Hero's, the game was terrible and rightly panned but i actually had fun with it. Oh and fire emblem radiant dawn I had fun with. Actually Super Smash Brothers Brawl I really liked, I don't disagree with any of the critics on most of these games but at the same time, if im having fun im having fun.

Karoshi

Jul 9, 2012
zombiejoe said:
Oh, and how could I forget Alpha Protocol

Despite the universal negative reviews, I, along with many others, find this to a fantastic game. That great dialog system, the stealth, the twists and turns. The gameplay itself is actually very good if you understand how the game is meant to be played. It's not a run and gun, like reviewers seem to think it is. It's a slow, tactical game. You need to actually line up your shot, wait for the right moment. It takes time and patience.

Though the boss fights were poor, the rest of this game is great.
Agreed.

Personally what won me over was the fact that I don't have to kill almost anybody in this game. It's wonderful and helps with suspension of belief, since I don't think that most leaders of organizations would be alright with me slaughtering their men and THEN teaming up with me.

Biggest fun I ever had in a game.

SweetWarmIce

Jun 1, 2009
Alpha Protocol, Dead Pool, Dead Island Riptide, Quantum Theory, EDF: Insect Armageddon.

...Too Human and yes I mean that.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Too many to list, but here are a few: Aliens: Colonial Marines, Naughty Bear, Legendary, Turning Point, Alpha Protocol, Deadpool, Wet, The Cursed Crusade aaaaaaand a bunch of others. As long as I'm having fun with it, I really don't care what the critics say.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
00slash00 said:
KarmaTheAlligator said:
Do FF XIII and XIII-2 count? From what I hear, they're generally panned by western critics/audiences, yet I'm having oodles of fun with them.
Hooray, I met the other person who enjoyed Final Fantasy 13! But yeah, Final Fantasy games tend to get good reviews. I mean shit, Final Fantasy 10-2 even got good reviews. But amongst gamers, 13 seems to be the most hated in the series, and I will never stop defending it.
Same. It was a bit slow to get going, but I really liked it in the end. Ah, Final Fantasy fans are a fickle bunch. Then again, maybe I'm just weird. XII is my favorite Final Fantasy and that one isn't exactly a fan favorite either. :)

Also:
Dante's Inferno. God of War rip-off? Sure. But not a bad one at all. Combat was fun and functional and the game was varied and dark enough to work.

The Force Unleashed 2. Again, had a lot of fun with the combat. It was a game that understood (even better than the first game) that electrocuting stormtroopers is fun. The story was utter crap, but oh well.

cubikill

Apr 9, 2009
SweetWarmIce said:
...Too Human and yes I mean that.
I'm
Not the only one! I loved too human. Ok loved may be too strong a word, but I enjoyed the world, story and combat. I sunk I think like 150 hours into my epic level bio-engineer.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
well I'll get a lot of hate for this but...

Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge - granted I didn't like the original PS3/360 version but the Wii U updated version I've loved and played like crazy

Final Fantasy XIII/ XIII-2 - most critics and gamers hate these games, personally I thought they were cool. Not great or amazing but simple and fun, plus they have Lightning and having her in a game gives it a high B+ for me

Metroid Other M - I know, I know, game is shit and blah blah blah, look I didn't like the story either I thought it was stupid and unnecessary but the gameplay was great for me, it reminded me of Super Metroid, minus some senseless first person sections, I really enjoyed all the other gameplay aspects of the game. Yes I could have done without the story but I don't blame the game for trying