Games that you hate but everyone else seems to ape-shit about it?

FavouriteDream

Feb 1, 2013
Dragon Age: Inquisition.

I've made several attempts to get into this. I clocked 30 hours. I tried. I failed.

I hate this game. It is all the bad parts of an MMORPG put into a boring single player experience. Hooray!

(For the record, I enjoyed the other 2).

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
joest01 said:
And then the T-Rexes in the lava level followed by the silly tree boss broke the camels back :)

If it's any consolation the creator of that game didn't really like that part either. :p

Don?t want to elaborate on this very much. There was a different person assigned to this area, and although I was involved, I don?t want to pose very many negative comments for his sake. It can be a learning experience for all of us.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/09/11/creating-worlds-hidetaka-miyazaki-s-favorite-zones.aspx

I really liked Dark Souls but a lot of areas felt sub-par. I also definitely felt Demon's Souls was a better game. Dark Souls had some amazingly designed areas but for every Undead Burg/Parish there is a Lost Izalith, Demon Ruins, Depths, Blight Town(framerate nightmare) etc. While Demon's only had the swamp section of the Valley of Defilement I didn't like.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Gundam GP01 said:
tldr162 said:
Gundam GP01 said:
Kingdom Hearts doesnt have spinoffs. Each game is about as important to the series as a whole as any other.
That just makes it *worse.*
To quote a really great movie; "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, uh... your opinion, man."
I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that's why he said it.

Anyway. I can't even agree with people here who say Borderlands is fun with other people. It's honestly one of the worst games I've ever played. I can't think of anything good about it.

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
stroopwafel said:
joest01 said:
And then the T-Rexes in the lava level followed by the silly tree boss broke the camels back :)

If it's any consolation the creator of that game didn't really like that part either. :p

Don?t want to elaborate on this very much. There was a different person assigned to this area, and although I was involved, I don?t want to pose very many negative comments for his sake. It can be a learning experience for all of us.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/09/11/creating-worlds-hidetaka-miyazaki-s-favorite-zones.aspx

I really liked Dark Souls but a lot of areas felt sub-par. I also definitely felt Demon's Souls was a better game. Dark Souls had some amazingly designed areas but for every Undead Burg/Parish there is a Lost Izalith, Demon Ruins, Depths, Blight Town(framerate nightmare) etc. While Demon's only had the swamp section of the Valley of Defilement I didn't like.
Good to see that he realized how shite that area was. Now if somebody produces a quote where he says that the cristmas cave was also a bad idea we're getting somewhere.

But funny how tastes are different. I didn't mind blight town. Or the depths (except the vagina dragon was a little much dont you think). But Dukes archives with the crystal sword and bow gnomes. Coming from Demon's. And the swamp is a beautiful area with the quintessential boss battle! My only regret is that I have to this day never beaten the cleaver phantom in a fair battle :)

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
joest01 said:
But funny how tastes are different. I didn't mind blight town. Or the depths (except the vagina dragon was a little much dont you think). But Dukes archives with the crystal sword and bow gnomes. Coming from Demon's. And the swamp is a beautiful area with the quintessential boss battle! My only regret is that I have to this day never beaten the cleaver phantom in a fair battle :)
I actually really like the depths and the design of gaping dragon. Though, I mistook it for tomb of giants which I definitely didn't like. :p

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
GTA IV (and beyond). I think Prototype kind of killed open world city games for me. 'What do you mean I need to steal a car, drive across town, and take an elevator to reach the top of the building? Why can't I run 70 mph while parkouring over cars then run up the side of the building?'. Plus the cars control like you're driving on ice, and your character seems to have the fitness level of a diabetic 80 year old (Niko can 'sprint' for about 30 feet before he has to catch his breath).

'Assassin's Creed'. The whole 'none of this is really happening, it's all a virtual simulation of genetic memories' or whatever, utterly killed my immersion in those games.

The Metal Gear series. I just can't get over the awful writing and bat-shit insane storylines.

regalphantom

Feb 10, 2011
Ok, time to go into this:

The Assassin's Creed Series (with the exception of 4). I'll admit I've only played 1, 2 and 4, but god were 1 and 2 bad (and the best part of 4 was when it wasn't trying to be an Assassin's creed game). The gameplay was boring and repetitive, the worlds are not great to explore, and the story was disappointing and a huge waste of the potential of the whole 'relive the genetic memories' thing. I was surprised people raved about 1, and even more surprised that the series is cranking out disapointing sequels annually. Just not worth my time.

Dragon Age: Origins: I won't say I hate this game, but I'll definitely knock it down a few pegs. The world building is good, but the story is pretty dull. There are some interesting characters, but most of them are quite shallow. The plot is actually pretty predictable, and the gameplay was not as deep as fans of the series like to think it is. To be honest, my favourite part of the game was the Fade, and for some reason everybody who isn't me hates that segment.

Pokemon X and Y: Honestly, the more I think about it the more I realize that X and Y are the weakest entries to the Pokemon series. Yeah, the designs are better than some previous generations, but that's really all you can say. The progression through the map feels painful, and there is no real post-game to look forward to after the elite 4. Also, the story was bad even by Pokemon's standards and completely killed any goodwill I had built from the surprisingly good storyline from B/W & B2/W2. And Mega Evolutions were poorly implemented as a whole in my opinion. I'll admit they aren't an outright bad idea, but for the most part they are just a huge stats-boost to pokemon that didn't need it. The concept of Mega Evolution is solid, but I feel that it is best when used to go back and make an old, underrated pokemon see new light with new build-around utility rather than just give more stats to already popular pokemon (like Blaziken).

Heroes of the Storm: I've gone on about this game before, but unlike other MOBAs where I at least have fun playing them, after I left Heroes I realized that I hadn't been enjoying my time on the game. The gameplay is shallow even compared to Smite or LoL, the shared XP mechanic makes the game more snowbally and, in my opinion, hurts comebacks and increases the feeling of hopelessness when you are doing well but your teammates poorly. It has some potential, but just squanders it.

Minecraft: I don't know what it is about Minecraft but I can't stand it. And I'm normally a guy who likes a sandbox. I play games like Sim City and Roller Coaster Tycoon. I have a CAD design suite that I use because I get bored. I still play with Lego from time to time. I like to build things, but I find Minecraft so unrewarding and unexciting that I just feel no desire to play it.

Halla Burrica

May 18, 2014
I don't like this kind of thread, because veeeery often (not always but still often) those turn into a rather annoying kind of place with lots of bitching which bascially goes like:*Btw this is meant to be read in a sort of stuck-up teenage girl voice* "I don't understaaaaaand, how can people liiiike thiiis?? Oh mah gaaawd, it's really frustrating that people don't share my perspectiveeee, why don't they think like I thiiink? It's impossibleee to understaaand." For f%¤/s sake, that does not reflect negatively on the game, that reflects negatively on you as a person. Specifically, it reflects negatively on your ability (or more often willingness) to understand what other people see in something that you don't. Our experience with a piece of entertainment will always be unique because we are all different, but that doesn't mean at least understanding or being aware of other perspectives, at least on a theoretical level should be impossible.
I have plenty of games I don't have particularly high regards for. I think the combat in the first Witcher was poorly done and somehow made even worse in the second game, I think Mirrors Edge has a really poor story that they barely try to develop along with some really bad sequences, I think everything in the first Mass Effect game not concerning some characters and the story is straight-up bad, I think Beyond Good and Evil takes too much from other games to really make itself worthy of being a classic, I think Fallout 2 has a really dumb beginning and I think Rochard is a really mediocre puzzle game with dull characters and humor. These are all opinions many people don't share with me, but it's not like it's impossible for me to understand them in any way. There are thousands of reviews, essays and opinion pieces on all these from both critics and users, and all I have to do is go look for them, it would probably take like 5 MINUTES at most. It's completely fine, even good if you don't agree with others here and there, but finding yourself actually unable to UNDERSTAND others? I find that INCREDIBLY IRRITATING and possibly harmful to getting a good discussion across.
*For the record, this is not a jab at the Escapist community specifically, but the gaming community as a whole.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
Skyrim

I loved Morrowind, tolerated Oblivion, and was really hoping for something great when Skyrim came out. I bought it day one, which I never do, and ended up putting ~240 hours into it.

Most of that time was spent hunting, gathering materials, smithing and making potions. That was the only part of the game that really appealed to me, aside from wandering around the countryside.

I am an RPG player who likes stats. I like things like strength, intelligence, speed, etc. I like derived statistics, for instance your magic resistance being a number that is calculated by using your strength and intelligence stat, modified by things like racial traits or birth sign, or what have you. I like limited skill points. When done right it gives you interesting systems to play with. You tweak your numbers and then smash them into the game world and see how well you did.

That type of design also meant your decisions on what skills to focus on matter. It means a thief character you roll is unique and not like a fighter you roll. In Skyrim every character is like every other. There are no stats. You can level up all skills as much as you want. The sole difference between characters you roll is which perks you pick, the mostly lame racial traits, and what ratio you choose to increase your health/mana/stamina at.

Skyrim to me feels like a dumb action game with RPG elements attached. I am just thankful games like Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, and Divinity Original Sin are being made again today, because otherwise I don't know were I would get my RPG fix.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Uncharted and TLoU's gameplay is terrible, and TLoU doesn't have enough landmarks (we have a name for those...something points) or variable mechanics to be interesting. It was like if The Walking Dead Season 1 was as padded as One Piece's Dressrosa arc.

Half-Life 2, the graphics make everything look depressing and they took away the interesting environment from one which was being used to prop up the average FPS gameplay.

The Metro games. Not only are they depressing but they don't have enough gunplay. At least Last Light's title was accurate, I couldn't see shit :p

Bioshock Infinite is an abortion that I don't even consider cannon. I actually got legit buttmad at the DLC. From a player's, critics, and level design perspective it was terrible. The story cannot make sense, and while the concept of the floating city and it's art design was great, the game didn't feature enough of it. The only thing I like about the game is the banter and strange way the Lettuce twins acted.

I'm not 100% sure anyone actually likes the game or it's a running gag that feels too real, but Sonic Adventure. I can't tell if people on the Game Grumps comments actually like it or are just trolling.

IOwnTheSpire

Jul 27, 2014
Oroboros said:
-Dragon Age 2-onwards: The retcons, gameplay and tonal shifts that the Dragon Age series has undergone makes my complaints about the Mass Effect series has undergone pale in comparison. I have always had an iffy relationship with the Original Dragon Age- It was distressingly derivative of a number of other IPs, and the MMO-lite game mechanics never sat well with me for a supposed 'spiritual successor' to Baldur's Gate. But I think The solid plot (best one from Bioware in a long time), considerable side quests, different prologues (origins) and a considerable feeling that your actions mattered. The sequels threw pretty much everything of value about the series out the window as far as I'm concerned. the Dragon Age of the first game has almost nothing to do with that of the later games IMO, which is HUGE check against it in my book.
Out of curiosity, what retcons are you talking about? And when you say it has almost nothing to do with the later games, do you mean gameplay-wise, story-wise, something else?

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
The original Mario games, with their ugly muddy graphics of brown squares.

Also, much of Skyrim is unbelievably boring, tedious and poorly written.

N7KnightSabre

Aug 26, 2015
Barda236 said:
Final Fantasy 8, and 10. I hate the stories and protagonists of both games. 10 is definitely the worse of the two though. Frickin Tidus....
God yes. Tidus ruined the game for me. I mean, I wasn't fond of the sphere leveling up system and thought the game was just meh overall. Tidus, though...... XP

Resident Evil 4: I thought the game was alright and even fun when separated out from the series. However, the reason I can't stand it is because I knew that it was going to be the direction Capcom would take the series in the future. And they did. And I hate it. Leon was annoying, too.

Cod and Battlefield.

MMOs: I've tried a few and I still end up playing ten minutes of it and becoming thoroughly bored. Plus, I'm not one for playing with others online.

Twisted Metal Black: I do enjoy this series, but usually only the ones that seem to have a heavy Campbell influence. (TM2, Head-On) Jaffe's darker take is too depressing for this particular genre, imo. Black was interesting to an extent, but also pretty sick and depressing. I think vehicle combat games are at their best when they have over-the-top humor added into the mix as it is a wacky concept in and of itself. Plus, the comic look was a nice feature. The new game's story mode was good (dark again, Jaffe >.>) but waaaaaaay too much online crap.

MOBA

I'm sure there are more. I just can't think of them right now.

Edited to include Skyrim. Can't believe I forgot this crap. I bought it because everyone was raving about how incredible it was. I was so disappointed. It was ugly, boing, and crappy.

BarryMcCociner

Feb 23, 2015
DOTA2.

I already prefer single player so I can tell I'm biased against the game before I touch it. It's not like I don't understand why people like it. I pick up DOTA, play three matches, I go "Oh, so that's why people enjoy this. Back to better games."

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Borderlands: I forced my way through the first game after multiple month long hiatuses to play actually fun games. My friend even bought me Borderlands 2, and I've never even installed it.

Magicka: Friends constantly killing me for that staff that I just picked up and trying to learn and memorize 3 or 4 spells for the entire game because you don't really need anything else

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Johnisback said:
Ironman126 said:
SHH! Quiet! You cannot speak that sort of heresy aloud! Regardless of its truth! Dragon Age: Origins MUST be superior to the sequel. Otherwise we will all be forced to admit that the lack of unique environments and main character development was grossly overshadowed by the improved mechanics and interesting story!
Maybe it's just me but I don't consider enemies repeatedly spawning out of nowhere in order to pad out the time spent using a simplistic battle system "improved mechanics." Improved animations =/= improved mechanics.

On top of that
"I'm a Qunari leader who's supposed to be good at tactics and strategy, but I'm going to use my giant force of soldiers (that was never actually established) to assault a city for no good reason and jepordise the mission that brought me here in the process."
or alternately
"I'm the Archmage of the College, the wisest and most practiced mage in the city and central to the Templars vs. Mages plotline that drives this game (although I'm not actually introduced till the final act). But when backed into a corner I'm going to willingly turn myself into an abomination and fight my only allies, probably because Bioware cared less about the plot of this game than they did about jamming another boss fight in before the end."

Interesting story my arse.

OT:
The Assasins Creed series. A stupid time travel/virtual reality plot, gameplay that gets old after a few hours, stupid mission objectives that require luck instead of skill and minigames that don't look or play very well.
I'll never get how that series caught on.
you know I wasn't going to post on this thread but I feel I need to point out at least this:

the Qunari are basically a cult that's sole purpose is to make everyone the same, think communism but with refusing to chose that system means immediate execution or brain washing. so he couldn't leave since he didn't have the book which was his mission, and he couldn't stand the way the people of Kirkwall behaved as it was like being insulted every second, so he took his sizable force(you know the one that took up HALF the harbor) and assaulted the city and pretty much would have won if hawk hadn't been there.

as for orsino he was chatting with mr necro man in the second act, and was pretty much a big idiot to begin with so that kinda made a bit more sense(still not much). also im pretty sure the default ending they wanted was for mage hawk to side with the Templars which would make more sense how things turned out.

also random spawns happened in origins you just didn't notice them because you were too buisy fighting the camra or had already put it on auto and went and made a sandwich.

OT: any freaking Bethesda game! I eman seriously why do people like buggy messes that break on launch and need a patch within the first week? hell even MMOs don't need as much fixing as most Bethesda games! (morrow wind is of course the exception loved that game)