Games that you took a gamble on

Powereaver

Apr 25, 2010
I gambled big time on Guild Wars as it was my first ever MMO.. and needless to say many years later im anxiously awaiting Guild Wars 2 with baited breath.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Henry Hatsworth in The Puzzling Adventure for the DS.

Sound obscure? It was. And it was a great game.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
Bioshock, one day I saw it on the shelf for $20 and decided to buy it only going off some positive word of mouth I've heard about the game and a demo I played at a friends house a year or so earlier. As you can see by my big daddy badge it was a very good gamble.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
I remember a lot of people saying Mirror's Edge was going to be bad because it didn't focus on shooting, but was in first person. I didn't know that parkour was it's main feature, and I never bothered to look up the trailers. My mate at the time told me it was shit, so I bought it just to spit him. Years later, we both still enjoy the game, and fucking rage that it hasn't had a sequel. With open world. And a map editor.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
I gambled on Metro 2033. I more than won on that one.

And considering how I hate similar games such as Half Life 2, I was surprised that I did.

Cemented my love for the lore, and has ensured Last Light will be a day one purchase. Perhaps even a limited edition should one come out near me.

Bad gamble; Call of Duty 4.

I listened to the hype, and I got it on release. And it was one of the worst gaming experiences I'd ever had. I'm serious. Awful from start to finish. The campaign was mediocre, and looking back, I can hardly recall even the slightest detail about it, but the multiplayer was broken, rewarding me for nothing, and punishing me with instant death for the crime of... Well, nothing. I died all of the time, every time, from someone I couldn't see, or from a grenade, or a helicopter, or anything and everything really.

I even came back later, and found it to be just as bad as before.

And for my final gamble, Call of Duty: World at War.

Great gamble. High stakes gamble, after the nightmare that was my time on CoD4. In fact, I put it off for about two years before I played it, as I remembered the terrible time I had in the previous game.

Boy, am I glad I did pick it up. Treyarch just did it better than Infinity War in my opinion. For starters, I felt the multiplayer, while similar, was just more balanced. Yes, there were some broken layouts, but they never gave me that much trouble.

Really though, I think the emphasis on single shot, semi-automatic and bolt action rifles made me like it. The Gewehr remains my favorite gun from any Call of Duty, and more than likely will never be topped.

I just got a better time out of WaW, and still find Treyarch to outdo Infinity Ward at every game. Made me hate CoD4 even more for scaring me away from what would come to be one of my favorite FPS games of all time. Pity it's now either empty or hacked to high hell and back. I miss my Gewehr.

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
I got crysis 2 on a whim. It was pretty damn solid.
Ghost Recon: Future Soldier was a gamble. Not great, but not really bad.
Fallout 3, because I was looking for an RPG and thought "Hey, awesome reviews, it can't be too bad and it's only $20! My lord did It turn out be a horrible game.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Makai Kingdoms

Totally a blind buy, never even heard of NIS or Disgaea at that point. I was very happy.

To balance it out, also blind bought one called Eternal Poison which was AWFUL.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
I've only really thrown my dice onto the table twice.

First time - Mass Effect & Mass Effect 2
I bought them just because I wanted a game I knew had a universe I could lose myself in again and liked the sound of your choices actually carrying some weight and defining your experience and character. Turns out I had one of the greatest experiences of my gaming life (large thanks to Mass Effect 1)

Second time....

Gears of War 3, and I lost....

I played number one and just couldn't let this series go unfinished, so I hastily bought this game and a week later (that's how long it took for me to work up the enthusiasm to beat it) I sold it.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Demon's Souls, Fallout: New Vegas, Picross DS, Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll. This is all I can remember for right now.

Hyperdimension Neptunia, Atelier Rorona, Cross X Edge. This is all I can remember for right now.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Golden Sun - The Lost Age

I did pretty well, lol.

Reyold

Jun 18, 2012
I don't remember any gambles I really took except for Last Rebellion. The game sounded good on paper, but... yeah.

Don't buy it.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Aerosteam 1908 said:
Henry Hatsworth in The Puzzling Adventure for the DS.

Sound obscure? It was. And it was a great game.
Good show!

On topic, Kingdom Hearts by far. At first I just wrote it off as someones insane fever dream. But then I thought I'd give it a go, and damn it was a good game, I must've 100% that game so. many. times.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Good Gambles:
FIFA 12, first football game I bought in six years and it is great.
Battlefield 3, pre-ordered, best MP game in years, but it still could be better (squad chat, better netcode)
Skyrim, I was very reluctant to buy this, but it turns out it is the first ES game I've enjoyed since Daggerfall.
Minecraft, the game wasn't even finished at the time, turns out it didn't really need to be.
The Saboteur, I'd heard it was a poor AssCreed clone, but it had one thing that AssCreed was missing, FUN!

Bad Gambles:
Saints Row 2, barely even functions.
Saints Row 3, functions just fine but is irredeemably vacuous.
Assassins Creed 2, a big gamble with the shitty DRM, turns out it is just a dull as the first game, only with a worst PC port, with my (supported) controller incorrectly mapped.

Just about every game is a gamble...and gambling 's for fools, but that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live forever...

Yeah, BS&T are better than Motorhead.

Bato

Oct 18, 2009
I took a gamble on APB.
Sufficed to say, I came out with the short stick after having lost maybe $90 from the game + pre-bought game time. Then the servers imploding.

They brought APB back as a Free to Play thing, and somehow made it worse.

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
Borderlands was my most memorably awesome gamble, saw the commercial, saw it again, so the art style, said "FUCK IT!" and ran out and traded in a couple games to get it. Best purchase EVAR! I've played that for at least 300 hours. Yes, that much.

Other gambles that paid off-

Lost Planet 2
Orcs Must Die
Section 8 PRejudice
Mass Effect 2 (because I don't particularly like bioware games)
Catherine
Brutal Legend
Heavenly Sword
3d dot game heroes

And a number of psn/xbla games that are totally fucking rad.

I have also made a few mistakes, such as-
Naughty Bear
Brink
Alpha Protocol (bought on sale, like most of these, but regret it still)
Nuclear Dawn (which I only regret because not enough people play and the devs aren't trying hard enough to add new stuff... btw anyone who wants a free copy of ND please message me.)
The Void (Because I just haven't played it enough)

gbemery

Jun 27, 2009
Good Gamble:
-Mario Brothers, Super Mario 2 and 3
-Run Like Hell (Never heard of it picked it up in the bargain bin started playing and only stopped to eat and sleep)
-Mass Effect (Still easily the best game I ever played)
-Dragon Age: Origins
-Civilization (SNES)
-Imperium Galactica (Best 4x space genre I ever knew)
-Silent Hill
-Knights of the Old Republic
-Civ IV
-Jungle Strike
-Sudden Strike
-Ace Combat 4 and 5
-Half Life
-Homeworld
-Homeworld Cataclysm
-Chrono Cross
-Metal Gear Solid

Bad Gamble:
-Mass Effect 3 (If it gets game of the year it'll be the same feeling of Obama getting a nobel peace prize)
-Dragon Age 2
-Civilization 3
-Prototype
-Universal Combat
-Half Life 2 (introduced me to steam)
-Hegemony: Legions of Iron
-Indigo Prophecy
-Homeworld 2

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Gamble that paid off:

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2
I was not initially aware of the Shin Megami Tensai series and I just wanted a decent PS2 title to get through a slow month of gaming. I had seen some of the gameplay and was intrigued. I had no idea how awesome the game was and I have not regret the purchase ever since.

Gamble that was a waste:

Pokemon Black
I was initially not planning on buying this title, as I was not impressed with what the game had to offer. I took a chance and decided to not judge a game until I played it. I was hoping to have a lot of good things that might change my mind on the new Gen. Unfortunately, what little is good to be found in this Gen is swallowed up by the overwhelming bad. It literally felt like a downgrade from any Pokemon Gen that has ever been released.

Future gambles that I will not take:

Pokemon Black 2/White 2
Any future installments of Marvel vs. Campcom 3
Kingdom Heart titles that do not progress the story

Mirroga

Jun 6, 2009
Even after watching some gameplay footage of Resident Evil 5, I thought it was fairly safe to gamble. But oh boy did it bite me in the ass. RE5 is in no ways a bad game. But it didn't live up to my expectations. My expectations of RE5? THIS TRAILER!

Why of why didn't it turn out like this? I blame possibly the replayability issue and the whole racism issue both being solved by a not-so-black co-op PARTNA! Gimme anURB!