Games Vs. Cataracts

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Games Vs. Cataracts

It turns out that games might not be so bad for your eyes after all.

Video games, alongside masturbation and reading in poorly lit areas, have long been considered a natural predator of the human eye. According to one Pyschologist at McMaster University in Canada, 40 hours of good, old-fashioned, action-packed gaming could actually improve a subject's vision. Assuming they have cataracts.

According to the study conducted by Psychologist Daphne Maurer [http://www.science.mcmaster.ca/Psychology/dm.html], subjects with cataracts who played 40 hours of action video games over four weeks became better at seeing small print, discerning the direction of moving dots and identifying faces.

A cataract is a naturally occurring clouding of the eye's lens that obscures vision. While it's a condition that mostly affects the elderly, it does occasionally affect children shortly after birth.

The subjects in the study were men and women between 19 and 31 who had been born with cataracts and still had vision problems despite having underwent surgery. According to the study, visually dense, action-orientated titles like Call of Duty yielded the best results. Less dynamic games, such as the ever popular Tetris, won't provide the same results. The one downside to this news is that while playing Call of Duty may improve your vision, playing it online may also make you wish you were deaf.

Dr. Maurer will be presenting her findings to the American Association for the Advancement of Science in Vancouver.

News of the study originally appeared on the Daily Mail website, where it's met with a less than enthusiastic response. That being said, a pro-gaming article in the Daily Mail almost merits its own headline.

Source: The Daily Mail [http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2102169/Blind.html]

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
Grey Carter said:
The one downside to this news is that while playing Call of Duty may improve your vision, playing it online may also make you wish you were deaf.
That one got a laugh from me. Well played, Carter.

Nyaoku

Jan 7, 2012
I guess all the flashing lights and stuff could be considered carpet-bomb lazer-eye surgery.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
If you follow the link to the source at Daily Mail, do not read the comments section. Seriously, that just pissed me off.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Damn, only if you have cataracts. Guess I'll be wearing glasses for the rest of my life unless I get laser surgery.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Grain of salt since it's from the Daily Mail, but still, as someone recently diagnosed with a cataract in one eye, this interests me.

RaNDM G said:
Grey Carter said:
The one downside to this news is that while playing Call of Duty may improve your vision, playing it online may also make you wish you were deaf.
Likewise. Quite amusing.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Gaming, saving the day one article at a time. That is until another Korean is left dead in a LAN cafe for 8 or more hours again. o_O

TehWaffleman

Mar 21, 2010
The reason why your eyes feel "bad" after a long gaming session is because as you concentrate on the game you forget to blink. Your eyes simply dry because you don't want to miss anything on the game, it is an involuntary action.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
RaNDM G said:
Grey Carter said:
It got a facepalm from me. It would have been funny if the mute feature wasn't so easy to access.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Too bad they didn't use Unreal Tournament, that game would even cure blindness.

This study was done before but on a more general scale, action games do train you to a higher contrast and movement sensitivity, but they still have a refocusing decline.
Staring at an object at the same distance for a long periods will cause eye muscle stagnation.

Feb 13, 2008
Grey Carter said:
News of the study originally appeared on the Daily Mail website, where it's met with a less than enthusiastic response. That being said, a pro-gaming article in the Daily Mail almost merits its own headline.
See, this is a fascinating development.

The DM website seems to selectively trolls it's own audience - how else could you explain:

Right-wingers are less intelligent than left wingers, says study [http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2095549/Right-wingers-intelligent-left-wingers-says-controversial-study--conservative-politics-lead-people-racist.html]?

The comments on that are a riot btw.

deathninja

Dec 19, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
The DM website seems to selectively trolls it's own audience - how else could you explain:

Right-wingers are less intelligent than left wingers, says study [http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2095549/Right-wingers-intelligent-left-wingers-says-controversial-study--conservative-politics-lead-people-racist.html]?

The comments on that are a riot btw.
That made my day, cheers.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I have to admit I thought my eyes were broken, seeing a pro gaming article on the Daily Mail site! It's at least a glimmer of hope, maybe they've noticed that even a fair number of Mail readers also enjoy games.

However, it's a health article, which almost always means it's a nonsensical piece of hyperbole, exaggerated from one throwaway comment by a friend of a cousin of a hospital cleaner, or "health expert" as the Mail titles them.

I also won't be surprised if we get 'Video games cause cataracts' next week, as that's the usual pattern of their cancer stories. "X causes Cancer!" next week, "X prevents Cancer!"

I'm still waiting for the factual article:

"Proctologist discovers source of Daily Mail Health articles with a torch"

BroJing

Sep 16, 2010
Also, purely from anecdotal evidence:

1) Everyone except me in my immediate family wears glasses and has done from several years younger then I am (25)

2) I'm the only gamer in my family.

SCIENCE!

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
BroJing said:
Also, purely from anecdotal evidence:

1) Everyone except me in my immediate family wears glasses and has done from several years younger then I am (25)

2) I'm the only gamer in my family.

SCIENCE!
REVERSE CAUSALITY!

(It's the same with me, but my dad is a gamer.)

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
The news story should be: Daily Mail Prints Positive Gaming Story, nothing more.

It's poor form to assume that bunch of venomous cunts twats morons are printing something that's not bullshit just because it fits with our views.