Games where you are the bad guy (but don't know it)

SuperBelkar

Jan 20, 2012
Valkyria chronicles 2. First off, they send children to fight for the nation (when fully grown heroes are just sitting around). Second, you are fighting for an inexperienced ruler who lied about her heritage to get to a position of power. Third, the rebellion fighting against you have not only an experienced leader, but a way to negotiate with the so called "evil empire." that's been waring with you since the first game. I felt horrible when my ragtag bunch of teenagers viciously murdered a woman who constantly prayed to her god every day. Sorry lady, I guess when it comes down to "god vs. rambunctious friendship" he just flat out abandons you. Christ, they tell the children they can kill each other in training if you hit them in the right spot! What kind of Facked up nation is this!

Blemontea

May 25, 2010
hhhmmm someones already mentions Nier...
and Dark Souls... uuummmm
WAIT
Chibi-robo...kinda.. in the game the robot you play as is causing the energy companies and families to go bankrupt becuase of how much energy is needed to keep the chibi's powered. The family you work for in particular is in serious debt as it is. PLUS you show that the husband has been spenind important tax money on his toy collection thus making the wife angry and locking herself in the room and threatening divorce. AND you break a lego Texan Dinasours teeth out, kill her love interest flower buy making it repopulate and dance to death. then you bring back the scourge of the seven seas and cuase an army platoon to go awol to give the ship some crewmates. The final kicker is that you beat up a the family dog... not really but kinda.

Jun_Jun

Sep 21, 2009
Gustof26 said:
Guild wars, like all of them.

Guild Wars Prop. When you get to the country Of Kryta you find that the local population follows a group of deities known as the Unseen Ones. Every year a group of people with magical powers are dragged out into the middle of a jungle and killed in order to keep shut a magical gate protected by the Unseen Ones.

Being the hero you are you are quick to join a random resistance and attempt to take down the Unseen ones. A long battle through the forces of a cult, a group of gods, and racist dwarfs you show those Gods who's boss around here and open their stupid magical gate. That'll show them to kill random unnamed NPC #42.

Turns out the gate was the only thing stopping an army of titans from invading the world and bring about the end times, and all that fun stuff. So yeah, your the biggest villain in game because pretty much all the "Bad guys" Have really good reasons for their lightly grey ideals.
Yeah don't forget the whole 'humans are the real monsters' thing with the Charr.
Basically humans arrived on the continent and overran it and pushed the Charr to the brink, the Charr retook their lands and 250 years later the humans are still having a QQ about how the Charr 'stole' Ascalon from them.

Why are humans in every fantasy setting such assholes? :/

Kiju

Apr 20, 2009
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl.

You are sent out to kill Strelok. Later on? You discover you are Strelok

Terrara

Jul 1, 2011
Iwata said:
Tomb Raider/Uncharted.

Lara Croft and Nathan Drake are the worst things to happen to archaeology since dynamite.
Bloody brilliant.

In all seriousness, a lot of times.

First thing that jumps up is probably Prototype. Alex is far from goody-goody. This is followed up by both Amnesia games.

Mass Effect's Shepard is a criminal depending on view point and the number of renegade options chosen. The body count is definitely up there.

I am quite surprised there are so few mentions of Assassin's creed. I mean... you are an assassin. You support anarchy. Subject 16 makes it obvious enough that the conflict is not as clear cut as "good guys" and "bad guys"

In less obvious options: in TES series (at least last 3) you are a bloody schizophrenic with D.I.D. at least on your first play through. How else can you become The Knight of the Nine AND Listener of the Hand AND The Mad God AND serve all other 15 princes of Daedra. I don't know exactly, but my bosmer in Oblivion was imprisoned for something truly vile.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
That_Sneaky_Camper said:
Treblaine said:
While I'm on a roll: Red Dead Redemption

Apparently we are supposed to feel so sorry for John Marsten and that Ross is the real villain, that it's a terrible betrayal for the army to come after him (though I personally relished the new fighting as RDR had turned into farming simulator).

But Ross challenged that John was responsible for murdering men, women and children... and John didn't deny it, it shut him up and he changed the subject. John by all rights should pay the capital punishment for his crimes.

John complain about Ross kidnapping his family when we later learn that his wife is in fact a prostitute and has not been kidnapped but imprisoned. WHAT?!? Is John seriously calling lawful imprisonment kidnapping?

And after John gets killed in a shoot out WITH THE ARMY why does Jack want revenge? John worked his ass how getting freedom for his wife and son and then Jack throws it away by murdering Ross who was just trying to enjoy his retirement. I couldn't even shoot the gun out of Ross's hand, I HAD to kill him and the worst part both Ross's Wife and brother know I came for him so I'd be prime and likely suspect for his murder.

John WAS the bad guy, and he could only get Redemption by bringing in the rest of his gang AND dying for his crimes but Jack threw all that away by murdering Ross.
Those are all very fair points but Ross doesn't see the hypocrisy of his actions. John was trying to give up his old gang life and start a ranch with his family, had Ross not captured his family then he never would have killed all the people that he encounters in the main game. Ross was the one that forced John to take up the gun again.

Besides John acknowledges the crimes he committed in the past and he says that he pays for them daily as they haunt him. If John was truly beyond redemption he wouldn't have tried to fix up his life in the first place. Even his wife gave up the life of a prostitute so that she could join John in trying to rebuild their lives and create a better future for their son Jack. Given how Jack and Abigail seem to have come to no serious harm it does come off more as "protective custody" but Ross still took John's family away from him.

Furthermore Ross explicitly says that if John does what Ross asks of him then he will make sure that John receives a pardon and will be able to move on with his family life. John did everything Ross asked and should have had his criminal status under the law removed. Beyond that there are laws against the Army storming a private citizen's house which Ross would have broken by sending them to storm John's house and have him killed.

Ross comes off as a corrupt Federal Agent who not only kidnaps a man's family to blackmail him into doing what he wants but goes back on his promise of leaving John alone. He didn't deserve a peaceful retirement after what he did to John. I would have been able to forgive the man had he left John alone but clearly he didn't.

Now I'm not saying that Jack should have killed Ross, no, I agree with you when you say that invalidates everything John did to provide a better life for his son. John built up that ranch so Jack could one day inherit and live a comfortable life but he also sacrificed himself to Ross so that his family wouldn't be caught in the crossfire. Jack's revenge has made him an outlaw and made his life empty, this is reflected in Jack's gameplay quotes when he questions what he has become. Jack has become exactly like what his father once was, which John didn't want. Plus killing Ross still hasn't fixed John's reputation, in official history John Marston will be remembered as an outlaw and Ross as the hero who took him down. Even in death Ross won.

John was the bad guy who worked hard at gaining his redemption, Ross was a federal agent whose position over the law is meant to protect the citizens of the local population and yet he abused that power for his own gain to receive glory and fame. John deserves to be remembered as a hero, not Ross.
Well a War Criminal can run away and start a new life, and settle down but they still did what they did. This is not looking at their future criminality but how they must face justice for the crimes they have already committed.

John is NOT hunted for the people he killed IN the game. You can play totally honourably, only ever killing in self-defence or enforcement of the law but it won't change the fact that before the game even started John was guilty of multiple counts of murder.

"John acknowledges the crimes he committed in the past and he says that he pays for them daily as they haunt him."

Wow, from all the snarky back-chat between relaxed coolness you can really tell he is a tortured being [/sarcasm]. Nonsense, he is no where near getting fair punishment, saying "gosh I feel bad" is no where near a punishment fitting for a just society, especially in the Wild West. Why does this apply to John and not EVERY OTHER criminal? Notice John only ever says he is tortured by his crimes when he is being threatened with punishment. Otherwise he just says he is a bad person. Throughout the game he will suddenly threaten to kill people who won't cave into his commands.

"Ross comes off as a corrupt Federal Agent"

Nope, he shows no sign of corruption, never took any bribes nor abused his power for personal gain, never wavered in his cause to rid the West of these criminal psychopaths. What he is is an asshole, and just that. I thought we didn't care about assholes any more? I thought we'd grown out of assuming whether someone is a bad guy or not depending on how much or a jerk they are? Gregory House is an asshole but we love him for it. I've said it already, lawful imprisonment is NOT Kidnapping. John is like a broken record on the kidnapping thing but his family are lawfully in prison.

Ross made a promise he couldn't keep. He COULD get clemency for John's family if John brought in the rest of his gang... but he could NOT wipe the slate clean of John's crimes. John cannot kill his way out of his murderous crimes, it's a zero sum change. And saying he feels bad won't do well either, especially when he doesn't seem to feel the least bit tortured about it. Anyway, who says Ross has absolute power over the law, what if the family of one of John's Murder victims went to the State Governor and complained that the murderer of their son is living free?

What could Ross say to say this man was above the law? Yes, good that he brought in the rest of his gang but what stops their being done again? Gang goes on killing spree, then gang members kill each other and the last one standing walks free? Bullshit. Ross could only go along with the Government Troops to attempt to arrest or kill John who clearly would not come quietly.

"John was the bad guy who worked hard at gaining his redemption"

He couldn't redeem himself with killing more people. That would only spare his family. His only path to redemption was to pay for his crimes. Im the West, that meant with with his life. I don't think John could bare to stand trial to be publicly hanged, he chose to go down fighting.

"Ross was a federal agent whose position over the law is meant to protect the citizens of the local population and yet he abused that power for his own gain to receive glory and fame."

Really? And where did Jack find Ross? With his family, living a humble retirement out of the way, not giving speeches and pinning over ghost writers to publish his memoirs. It seems only his competition in the bureau had scorn for him and his medals, likely over jealousy. But you don't seem to understand what medals are. You can buy a tin medal for a couple bucks in a thrift store, but an EARNED one means invaluably more. It means to was instrumental in getting rid of an extremely dangerous gang. He DID protect the citizens by routing this gang. He did NOT abuse his power, he USED it properly. And he shunned glory and fame, promptly retiring when the job was done rather than further his power in the bureaucracy.

I can't believe how many assume he is the bad guy just because he is a bit of a jerk.

Jack is the bastard here, Is he going to kill all the soldiers as well? The governor who sent them (only he has that power)? When will Jack's orgy or revenge end? It should have ended before it started by recognising it was justice for his father to die, either in beign arrested or by hanging.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I didn't know the Closed Fist ending, in Jade Empire would be so brutal and heart-wrenching as I thought it was going to be. Dark Side ain't shit.

Emperor Nat

Jun 15, 2011
The original Deus Ex.

Now, I'm not sure whether or not it's part of the story (as I haven't completed the game and I'm not entirely sure how far in I am)...

...But to me, JC Denton feels like a sociopath. Because I tend to take the aggressive route (simply because it's the easiest way forwards often), people comment on how JC kills lots of people. Which is fine, but he never seems particularly bothered.

Moreover, the fact that *Spoiler Alert* his brother dies and he displays barely any emotion just reinforces this.

At this point, I'm playing up to that a bit more. Being a bit more ruthless, being a bit colder in my responses to things. :)

Hiroshi Mishima

Sep 25, 2008
Forlong said:
Megaman X
Hey, if you didn't read the manual, X and Zero could have been terrorists and it would make the same level of sense.
Honestly, you could use that excuse for every game where the storyline is in the manual, however unlikely it would be that X would deliberately be trying to terrorize innocent people/reploids.

Also, in the case of Mario 2, I believe it was stated that Wart was oppressing the people who lived there, or something to that affect.

I dunno, I question threads like this cause some of the explanations are really a stretch of believability. Not always, of course, but sometimes I think people try too hard to justify vilifying the protagonist. I still don't follow the logic that Leon is a "bad guy" mowing down innocent peasants. Also keep in mind that the president's daughter is kidnapped, and you have a hostile situation that must be dealt with.

Vegan_Doodler

May 29, 2011
Tomb raider - she's a grave robber

lost planet - Invading another planet and immediately try to murder all indiginus life forms because you already screwed up your own planet, way to take the moral high ground guys

Vampire the masquerade - while you can try and play it in the traditional 'good' seance your still an unholy creature of the night

Assassins creed (series) - They murder any one who tyres to bring some sort of order to the world, and may I remind you that the Templars methods shed a lot less blood.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Terrara said:
I am quite surprised there are so few mentions of Assassin's creed. I mean... you are an assassin. You support anarchy. Subject 16 makes it obvious enough that the conflict is not as clear cut as "good guys" and "bad guys"
I think it's because it IS obvious. Assassins are not supposed to be nice people and the game consistently pushes the ambiguity of whether all this is right or wrong, not clearly trying to garner sympathy for what by any normal perspective is the bad guy.

zuro64

Aug 20, 2009
Singularity!
Its mostly the ending(s) that makes you evil since you have three options:
A) help the "good" sientist with going back in time to kill yourself(via murder no suicide well ... kind of), he later becomes ruler of the world without you ever knowing
B) help the evil sientist to regain his world power with you in charge of his mutant army
C) you kill both of them and go dark to later become the mysterius man who is building up an empire containing half the world(so far)

So please do tell me wich is the "good" chose of these!

PotluckBrigand

No family dinner is safe.
Jul 30, 2008
DoPo said:
The Elder Scrolls franchise? In Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim (you didn't in Daggerfall, as I recall, and I haven't played the others) you start off as a prisoner. The guards don't strike me as jerks who'll stick anybody in prison just for kicks.
Maybe for some people... but my guy is usually an asshole through and through, so I always know I'm the villain :X The world would have been better off with the dragons!

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
The Alliance in Warcraft, they're absolute BASTARDS if you look at half the shit they do. The only reason people assume that the Horde are the bad guys is because they're more non human looking.

Most RTS games where you view your troops as expendable numbers, I doubt many officers would send almost all of their troops in to certain death because it was the most efficient way of beating the enemy

Also quite obviously PayDay the heist, but thats one where you do know it. You play as bank robbers xP

Chased

Sep 17, 2010
A lot of video games with outlandish body counts. They even referenced it at the end of Uncharted 2.