Games with a better PC version.

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
Hey guys,
Within the next couple'a months, I'm gonna build a new gaming PC, and I was wondering.
Are there any games that are truly better on the PC? I know TF2 is, from reading forum posts, but I'm not sure. Also, could you give the specific reason it's better? (Gooder graphics is not an acceptable answer!)

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Dragon Age: Origins. You get a much more tactical view so it seems much more Baldur Gateish.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Orange Box... Mirror's Edge... Deus Ex... Borderlands... Half-Life... pretty much every game I've played on PC and compared to the console version...

Eduku

Sep 11, 2010
Dragon Age: Origins. The PC version offers the tactical camera mode, giving you full control over the battle. I think there are more enemies because of this in the PC version too. It also gives you access to mods, which is always good.

Also, Oblivion and Fallout 3, purely because of the mods.

Martin Toy

Aug 24, 2010
All of them. Because Mouse and Keyboard will always be superior! Apart from GTAIV because that was the worst port in the world....

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Martin Toy said:
All of them. Because Mouse and Keyboard will always be superior! Apart from GTAIV because that was the worst port in the world....
Yeah actually the only game I can think of that wasn't better on the PC was Resident Evil 4... [small][sub]No mouse support? WTF!?[/sub][/small]

Darth Marsden

Sep 12, 2008
Any multi-platform FPS is generally going to be better on the PC due to a better control scheme. So things like Turok and Team Fortress 2 are easier to play, if nothing else. Third Person Shooters also have a similar way of working, but not to quite the same degree.

Sports games have a great habit of being modded by fans to update the players, meaning that a copy of Madden 08 can still be relevant, so you may also want to look into that.

Also, a lot of games these days have fan mods that simply aren't available on consoles. Half-Life (and sequels) have fan-made add-ons, while Fallout 3 has a ton of user-made mods that range from making the game more balanced to changing the wastelands into a greener place to adding marriage proposals in the forms of additional missions.

In short - it's hard to pick games that are 'better' then their console counterparts, but they do, generally, have more to them. I'd suggest doing a bit of research into games you have an interest in.

Oh, except Psychonauts, which got a terrible PS2 port and is far superior on PC.

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
Sacman said:
Martin Toy said:
Yeah actually the only game I can think of that wasn't better on the PC was Resident Evil 4... [small][sub]No mouse support? WTF!?[/sub][/small]
Wasn't there a patch for that?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Any game with a good modding community (see: Bethesda). Also, any RTS (mouse is better controller), and Mirror's Edge (mouse and keyboard is faster and more fluid then a thumbstick).

On the other hand, PC's are really bad at racing games (thumbsticks allow for much smoother steering and speed).

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
smearyllama said:
Sacman said:
Martin Toy said:
Wasn't there a patch for that?
Well I trashed it if there was so it doesn't matter...

robinkom

Jan 8, 2009
Dragon Age Origins
Mass Effect 1 & 2
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2
Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion
Fallout 3

Older ones:
Diablo (anyone remember the port on the PSX?)
DarkStone (another one ported to the PSX.)
Command & Conquer (I have the first one for Sega Saturn)
Warcraft II (My buddy has the Sega Saturn Version)

MUCH older ones:
The Three Stooges (Amiga to NES).
Leander (Amiga to Genesis, renamed "Gallahad").
Lemmings (Amiga to Genesis, easier with Mouse).
Skate or Die (C64/128 to NES).

Mikaze

Mar 23, 2008
I'm going to say absolutely everything, assuming it was either designed for PC originally or ported by a team with more brain cells than fingers. Horrible ports can ruin even the greatest games.

A particular mention to RTS games which, in my experience, are nigh impossible to play fluidly on a console, although I will admit I haven't tried since C&C on the N64.

The_Healer

Jun 17, 2009
FPS's and Rpg games are often better on PC, but not always. I doubt I would have loved Fallout 3 as much if I'd been playing it on my PC. (Which is why I am getting New Vegas on PS3 too)

But racing and fighting games, they are the console's territory.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
Old game but, Silent Hill 2 has an extra escenario version and graphic improvements wich later hit XBOX.

robinkom

Jan 8, 2009
Well, in my opinion, that is ONE game that originated on PC and was better on a console.

Dune 2: The Battle for Arrakis.

Made for MS-DOS, ported to Sega Genesis. I felt the Genesis version was superior. Those were probably the tightest RTS controls I've ever experienced on a console, with only 3 face button no less! The graphics and sound were a vast improvement as well.

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
Basically any fps.
Tf2 /thread It's the perfect example and you should need no other.

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
lax4life said:
Dragon Age: Origins. You get a much more tactical view so it seems much more Baldur Gateish.
I concur.

All the elder scrolls games are better on pc because of the modifiability. In general, any fps on the pc is superior to its console counterpart. Unreal Tournament 3 is a good example because in the console versions, the auto-aim for the shock rifle renders it completely useless. The primary fire auto-aims to your target instead of your secondary fire so gl trying to do a combo.

Banana Phone Man

Elite Member
May 19, 2009
TF2, easy that one. I tried it on the 360 when I got the orange box for that but it was so god damn aweful I went and got myself the PC version. Thank god I did.

Fallout 3 is another one. It just felt so clunky on my 360 and although it wasn't perfect on the PC either, I felt I could actually do somehting and not have to rely on VATS all of the time. Slow motion is fun, but when I have to use it all of the time it gets annoying real quick.

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
Generally speaking. It all sort of depends...

As you'll find out from just looking on the internet, some PC versions work, Other fail by a lot.

Basically you'll have to sort out the shit ports, from the good ones. Or the games designed for PC first. ...Then you'll have to install it after wasting your money on it to find out it doesn't work on your system and the only way to get it to work is some really long drawn out process involving editing the registry manually, turning off settings in windows and uninstalling your anti-virus. After you patch the game 6 or 7 times, then unpatch it 4 times. Encircling your PC in runes of blood and sacrificing a goat to appease the old pagan gods, and then chanting "please work" for the next 17 and a half hours.

... Some people see this as a fault in PC gaming. But really, you can just give up. There are more games out there. >.>

As for a list of games that are better on PC? pretty much any FPS..TPS...RTS(the few of them)

...Just don't go for platformers unless you have a game controller. ...Even then be careful the mapping is usually terrible.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
GTA IV because you can use actual cheats. I wanna fly up to a sky scraper and throw Niko (or other skinned character) off the edge its my fucking business. Still can't forgive R* for choosing "gritty realism" over senseless violent fun.