Games with great banter between characters.

NewYork_Comedian

Nov 28, 2009
I'll go ahead and mention the obvious Planescape Torment since it hasn't been done so.

In the new Shadow Warrior, the banter between Lo Wang and Hoji is very enjoyable.

Nomen Nescio

Feb 1, 2014
Lots of praise to BW banter writing and I can't say I'm surprised. I'd even go as far as to say those are the best parts of BW games. Forget about all those pointless internet wars around BW romances - THIS is where they shine.

And to address the topic - Jan Jansen from BG2 interacting with pretty much everyone.
I'm surprised and somehow saddened no one mentioned him before. "So passes the glory of the world" right Binky?

Flammablezeus

Dec 19, 2013
I enjoyed the banter between your squad mates in the Bad Company games. Always had a smile on my face.

Platypus540

May 11, 2011
I loved the banter between enemies in Rainbow Six Vegas (and probably the older ones too but I haven't played them). If you sneak up behind a pair of guards or listen in with the snake cam you hear them basically just shooting the shit about random topics, from the local sports teams to what to do with the hostages to their favorite non-name-brand 'Pokemon' cards.

Mass Effect had some great stuff too, and the squad members in Battlefield Bad Company were pretty damn funny.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Exhuminator said:
I'm pretty sure the Tales Of _______ series is partly famous for having copious amounts of party chat.
Tales of the Abyss was fun but it (and probably every other Tales game) abused anime stereotypes at all. The kind where they're all throwing innuendo at each other and then quickly denying it. Oh, and the smarmy guy who is always smarmy, and the loli who's always super excited... So much high school.

Nekron_X

Jan 30, 2011
i liked the banter Kaine and Weiss in Neir personally, if only because Weiss is so proper and kaine's so vulgar the difference in the way they speak is funny. Tyrann and Kaine as well

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
My vote goes to origin. Allistair and Morigan, just put them in your party and wander around. The banter is fucking great. Leliana and Morigan also have really good banter. The others have good lines, but not to the extent of those three. Honestly, I didn't like most of Mass Effect banter. It just struck me as very plastic, for the most part.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
BioWare is really good at this. Mass Effect, Mass Effect 3, and Dragon Age: Origins all had tremendous banter between their characters. Some of it was very insightful, and some of it was just downright hilarious. Either way, I always enjoyed listening in on the conversations in those games.

Johnny Novgorod said:
Exhuminator said:
I'm pretty sure the Tales Of _______ series is partly famous for having copious amounts of party chat.
Tales of the Abyss was fun but it (and probably every other Tales game) abused anime stereotypes at all. The kind where they're all throwing innuendo at each other and then quickly denying it. Oh, and the smarmy guy who is always smarmy, and the loli who's always super excited... So much high school.
I can't speak for all the Tales games, but some of them pretty much just parody the stereotypes. Tales of Vesperia especially was very obviously parodying a lot of common JRPG and anime stereotypes. Sure, it fully embraced all of them, but it was very self aware that some of the stuff that it did just didn't make sense and should just be laughed at and enjoyed.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
KOTOR stands out to me. I'd deliberately mix up my party just to see what people said to each other.

Except Carth. He was annoying as shit.

RoonMian

Mar 5, 2011
spartan231490 said:
My vote goes to origin. Allistair and Morigan, just put them in your party and wander around. The banter is fucking great. Leliana and Morigan also have really good banter. The others have good lines, but not to the extent of those three. Honestly, I didn't like most of Mass Effect banter. It just struck me as very plastic, for the most part.
Nah, I think the very best banter in DA:O was between Oghren and Wynne/Alistair about "Pike twirling" and "Giving the blade the old spite shine"

Alistair: "What are you talking about?"

Oghren: "What are YOU talking about?"

http://youtu.be/_JQJ2_y1KXk?t=6m

http://youtu.be/_JQJ2_y1KXk?t=8m

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Would have to go with The Last Story for the throw away banter between characters when you are just walking around especially between Syrenne and Lowell (may have spelt them wrong) they were pretty funny for the most part its one of the few games I actually stopped to listen to the banter between characters.

Disgaea also has great banter but thats in the cutscenes so its a bit different.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
Zeldias said:
Found Dragon Age 2 remarkable in this regard.
Me too. Some of the best banter BioWare has ever done. Particularly with how much of it isn't related to the main character. They will talk about what they do in their off hours and when you go to talk to one you can often see another leaving after a visit. Good stuff.

As for a non BioWare example, i found Skyrim to have a surprising amount, given that it isn't nearly as character focused. There is quite a lot of guild banter. The Companions, Thieves Guild and members of the Dawnguard have quite a bit to say to each other. Dark Brotherhood banters too, but their comments are kinda generic.

Bestival

May 5, 2012
The most recent game that springs to my mind would be Saints Row 4. I found myself trying out more and more random combinations of followers just to see what they would say to each other.

Borderlands 2 had some fun stuff as well, whenever you visited Sanctuary and the old gang.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
What's that Escapist? You want me to sing the praises of Tales of Graces once more?

For me that was one of the stronger elements of that game - the sheer amount of skits and banter amongst characters was fantastic. They ranged from heartfelt to hilarious easily and added so much more depth to the characters.

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
Shdwrnr said:
"I'm going to the bear pits tomorra'. Wanna come with?"

I shouldn't have to say more than that.
I'll see your Bear Pits and raise you "Some Unnecessary Ventilation"

Vedrenne

Feb 8, 2010
Zipa said:
The legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver games had amazing dialogue between Raziel and Kain as well as the supporting characters.
Seconded. Nothing beats the banter between Raziel and Kain...except for the Old One/Raziel and Morbius/Kain.