Games with heavy political elements?

mannaroth

Aug 19, 2009
Hey, I was bored and started wondering what games have politics as a major part of the story or game. When I say that I don't mean a government or political simulator. I'm really itching to play a game where either you have a character that is shaped by political ideology or a game that you can control different nations with different political beliefs? Sorry if that's confusing or lame or whatever I just really want to play a game like that.

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
..Well i dunno how you're gonna feel about it, but Republic: The Revolution.

I guess it'd be a political simulator or something >.> but whatever.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Fallout: New Vegas.

The four main factions that you choose all represent different political extremes and how they would benefit a post-post-apocalyptic world that was previously destroyed by mankind and politics.

Even the minor factions in the game are all run by different political ideals and philosophies and how they would fit in a world ruled by one of the four main factions is explored throughout their quests.

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
For politics as a gameplay element, Total War: Shogun 2 springs to mind. There's a lot of negotiating with folks, which actually shocked me when I gave it a try. I expected a little less "Okay, so we're gonna have a non-aggression pact for the next ten turns in exchange for the hand of your daughter in marriage and some land over here." It's a cool political negotiations system, but I had trouble actually getting anything done in the game, since I'm not an aggressive person, and that came out in how I played the game.

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
Red Dead Redemption goes off on some pretty heavy political tangents in it's dialogue. Seems people in the Old West were prone to pontification on the negatives of big government at the drop of a hat.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Well the Metal Gear Solid series comes to mind.

In MGS3 for example, Big Boss was a CIA agent who was told to rescue Sokolov, destroy the Shagohod, and kill the Boss. Plus they also want Volgin out of the picture as he was a threat to Kruschev's leadership of the Soviet Union.

America's real goal however though was to retrieve the Philosopher's Legacy. They had The Boss, EVA, and Ocelot work as double agents in order to help Snake retrieve it. The Boss herself had to betray her own country and die as a war criminal in order for this to happen. Before she died, she gave Snake the microfilm containing the location of the Legacy.

The legacy was then stolen by EVA as she was a double agent for China. And in the epilogue it was revealed that the microfilm EVA took was a fake and the real one was given to the CIA by Ocelot, who was revealed to be a triple agent for the Philosophers. Unfortunately, the CIA only received half of the Legacy.