Games with the best sense of scale in battles?

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Keoul said:
Whatever happened to MAG?
It was a shooter on the PS3 that had up to 256 players, It just kinda went off the radar for me.
Haven't really delved into large scale games, unless MMOs count.
MAG!

I used to play the shit out of that game back in it's hayday.

The game had a lot of faults, like it being easy to spawn snipe, and being able to shoot a guy from yards away with a pistol.

But god damn was that game fun as all hell. So it's a shame that it's dead. I think it should go F2P now, considering it needs at least sixty odd players for a decent game.

Also, Raven forever bitches, screw Valor, those arseholes spawn sniped me five times in a row, and I never had that problem playing against SVER.

Suijen

Apr 15, 2009
Mount and Blade does an excellent job at the scale thing. You can increase the limit to 300 (or 150) troops at once in the options menu, and it really is something leading a whole buttload of troops against another whole buttload to participate in epic battle in which life and death is only a few arrows away.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
piinyouri said:
I may have the wrong idea here. but the fight with Cronos in God of War 3?

I'm not a huge GoW fan but that scene impressed the hell out of me.
Yow, fingernails, ooo that must've smarted something fierce.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
kman123 said:
I would kill for a Kingdom Under Fire game for this gen. And no, not that stupid one we have already that ridiculously missed the point.
They are making one but the development has been somewhat fickle. Some even thought it was cancelled but the developers claimed it wasn't... yet there's still no word.

BTW I'm going to quickly quote myself since RTS's have come up a few times.

Stabby Joe said:
NOTE: Strategy games like Total War do get the scale but I'm talking about being in the actual fight.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Any actual battle in the Assassin's Creed games, from small scale skirmishes in the streets of Rome and Constantinople to actually seeing the armies massing ready to fight at Viana and Arsuf. Even in the fights where Ezio or Altair are part of those battles, the sense of scale is never lost, seeing in the distance armies clashing even if you can't get involved yourself (what with tracking down your Templar foes and whatnot...).

The Halo games do this as well, but the later ones much more so than the early ones (especially considering the technological limitations or lack thereof as the series progresses). It was amazing sitting in a Hornet in Reach watching battles take place far below, or seeing how the rest of the planet is fighting their own losing battle all as Noble Team attempt to reach their own goals. Made all the more emotional when you realise that whatever you do, Reach's fate is sealed (by canon, of course), and that you are doomed to die whatever happens...

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Smaller battlefield maps have a great sense of scale because you are constantly near or in the fight and they are much more frantic than most shooters with the added destruction, dust, tanks and surpression. You feel like your in a real fight, which strangely gets worse with the bigger maps where the fighting doesn't have that sense of scale because it's 1v1 most of the time in the middle of nowhere.

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
Stabby Joe said:
snip of awesome pic
I remember Kingdom Under Fire being a rather mediocre Warcraft 2 clone but that pic made me pop a massive chubby.

OT: Freespace 2 had a knack of making me feel like one tiny thread in a massive space furball.

VeryOddGamer

Feb 26, 2012
Mount and-
Stabby Joe said:
Mount & Blade
Damnit.
Okay, Star Wars Ba-
Soviet Heavy said:
Star Wars: Battlefront 2
God.
Okay, I know M&B was mentioned before, but it was the multiplayer, but I think the singl-
Suijen said:
Mount and Blade does an excellent job at the scale thing. You can increase the limit to 300 (or 150) troops at once in the options menu, and it really is something

madster11

Aug 17, 2010
Dynasty Warriors can do this a little bit in some of the bigger levels providing your character isn't so overpowered you rush through. You can see the battle flowing and watch as you moving into different areas can alter the course of the battle entirely or barely change it at all.

Aarowbeatsdragon

Jan 27, 2012
how has only one person mentioned mass effect 3...palavens moon, thessia, EARTH! every battle field in that game had huge scope and every time i looked up and saw a reaper it sent shivers down my spine.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Transformers: Fall of Cybertron gets it right. Sure, you're the center of the action, but unlike most games this one actually feels like all-out planetary war wherein you are just one among thousands, instead of a string of shooting galleries waiting to be triggered by your arrival.

Terminate421 said:
-Gears of War 2 snip-
Definitely seconded, for the same reason.

Also, props to the OP for mentioning Viking: Battle for Asgard. You're right, it really is the only non-shooter game I played that brings this particular kind of action to the table.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
ResonanceSD said:
Sins of a solar empire, zoomed in.
I'll raise you AI War zoomed out. Now imagine that happening in several different systems at once.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Actually thinking about it Metal Gear Solid 4 definitely makes you feel like you are in a warzone a lot of the time with all sorts of stuff going on.

On that note Killzone does quite well as does Vanquish.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Bertylicious said:
Stabby Joe said:
snip of awesome pic
I remember Kingdom Under Fire being a rather mediocre Warcraft 2 clone but that pic made me pop a massive chubby.
The series changed during the Xbox era. Look up the Crusaders and Heroes.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Dynasty Warriors and their spin-offs. Gundam was pretty cool and I've got the new One Piece one on pre-order. Pirate Warriors looks great. I remember the first time I played a Dienasty Warriors game, I was so impressed by how many enemies there were at once, although I think they could take more advantage of the PS3's power.

MSfire012

Jul 9, 2011
Shadow of the Colossus is perfect in this regard.
God of War also comes to mind, as well as bayonetta.

AnotherAvatar

Sep 18, 2011
I just started it, so I haven't gotten that deep in them, but Guild Wars 2's absurdly large World vs. World matches convey the scale you're talking about absurdly well. You are literally just another adventurer in a massive army (If I remember right matches can get up to 500 vs 500 vs 500, three different servers all adding to the chaos) fighting for control, using genuine siege techniques or bunching up choke points to take supplies. It feels like a real war, and they just started making the matches a week long so it feels like a genuine war rather than simply a quick skirmish in a war.

In fact, Guild Wars 2 seems to be all about conveying massive scale even in it's simple adventuring, I'd highly recommend it.

Edit: Why are so many people mentioning Shadow of the Colossus. Don't get me wrong, great game, with a great sense of scope, but I'm pretty sure it's set up is EXACTLY the opposite of what OP was asking for. He was looking for sense of scale involving just being a single member of a larger force, not being a single person against a large, singular, force in a barren landscape...

That said, he also asked for single player, and I gave him an MMO... so yeah.