Games you didn't like, but you liked the idea of

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Jarek Mace said:
Spore. The Spore we saw in 2005 was amazing. The Spore we got, was not.
Thinking along those lines, the Duke Nukem For-Ever we saw in 2001 looked like it could have been great. Granted I doubt spore changed as drastically from 2005 to...whenever it released since I've never played it.

---

Mr.Mattress said:
The Nintendo Virtual Boy is a cool console, and while I like it, it could be improved greatly upon. Like, give it more color then Red, Dark Red, and Black.

... I sort of want to make a new Virtual Boy styled Console, but I stink at math and engineering, so...
I think that's what they did with the 3DS. Colors, good selection of games at this point and, optional 3D that doesn't require glasses. Also it's portable and even the XL is more portable than the VB. For the record though, I enjoy mine and would love to see a 3DS remake or reboot of Teleroboxer...only with drastically reduced difficulty or a difficulty selection screen before you start.

---

Remember that one level of Halo Reach where you're flying around in space, destroying smaller ships and taking out the engines of that one Covenant Corvette? Why wasn't that made into its own game? I know it was never put into production as anything more than a single level and a half but if that were to be expanded into its own 10 - 15+ hour game with multiplayer and the ability to customize your ship. Maybe base the game around a rogue Spartan who decides to help Humanity while the Covenant are fucking shit up as your story? I guarantee more people would like that than Halo Wars and maybe even more than ODST.

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
Jarek Mace said:
This. And DA 2. Wished I liked that game. Still disappointed in that actually.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Shoggoth2588 said:
Mr.Mattress said:
The Nintendo Virtual Boy is a cool console, and while I like it, it could be improved greatly upon. Like, give it more color then Red, Dark Red, and Black.

... I sort of want to make a new Virtual Boy styled Console, but I stink at math and engineering, so...
I think that's what they did with the 3DS.
No no no, not like that. I mean a console you have to look into to play. That's what I mean by a New Virtual Boy styled Console, not the 3DS (although I like my 3DS).

Unsilenced

Oct 19, 2009
From what I've played so far, Spec Ops: The Line.

I like the idea of something subverting the normal tropes of shootemups, but Spec Ops is just... eh. Maybe I went into it with the wrong mindset, but everything seemed forced. I mean seriously...

I blew up 4 tankers of water in the possession of the enemy army, and the game spent the next 3 hours calling me a kitten-eating mechahitler because I had "destroyed all the water in the city."

Listen, if that was all the water in the fucking city, everyone was fucked anyways. I just reduced the length of their suffering. Eat shit, game.

Antonio Torrente

Feb 19, 2010
scorptatious said:
Jarek Mace said:
I used to play that game for a little while. It was fun for a little while, but I got bored of it not too long after. Plus, one of the creations I made in that game inspired my username. :p

OT: Well there's Mirror's Edge. I really liked the idea, but I felt the execution was pretty bad. The story wasn't engaging, the characters were bland, and it was really difficult to figure out where to go most of the time even with the game's feature that points you in the right direction. And half the time, you have cops chasing you during these kinds of segments whose accuracy increases ten fold if you're going the wrong way.

It was a frustrating and miserable experience. And I found myself returning the game almost immediately after I beat it.

No offense to those who enjoy the game.
I kinda noticed that both the games you mentioned are EA games.

Antonio Torrente

Feb 19, 2010
Woodsey said:
Alpha Protocol was atrocious, but the concept remains appealing.
It's kinda sad that Obsidian one of the devs left on the industry that can write good stories besides Bioware(pre EA) but always run out of time and budget not to metion always got screwed over by their Publisher. And their game suffers with bugs and the end result is most of the time underwhelming, examples are the aforementioned Alpha Protocol and Fallout: New Vegas.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Antonio Torrente said:
scorptatious said:
Jarek Mace said:
I used to play that game for a little while. It was fun for a little while, but I got bored of it not too long after. Plus, one of the creations I made in that game inspired my username. :p

OT: Well there's Mirror's Edge. I really liked the idea, but I felt the execution was pretty bad. The story wasn't engaging, the characters were bland, and it was really difficult to figure out where to go most of the time even with the game's feature that points you in the right direction. And half the time, you have cops chasing you during these kinds of segments whose accuracy increases ten fold if you're going the wrong way.

It was a frustrating and miserable experience. And I found myself returning the game almost immediately after I beat it.

LOL, I didn't notice that, but yeah. You're right. :p

Antonio Torrente

Feb 19, 2010
scorptatious said:
Antonio Torrente said:
scorptatious said:
Jarek Mace said:

LOL, I didn't notice that, but yeah. You're right. :p
Yeah, but with what is happening with EA these days, I am not gonna be surprised will release a game with an awesome idea but with a poor execution.

Mentioning ME3 and its "ending" is becoming a cliche isn't it?

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
Alan Wake.

I didn't totally dislike the game, but I think I was expecting more from it. There's an interesting premise, nice environments, great music, but a few too many segments boiled down to running through the woods with shadow-folk for an hour. (Which is odd considering how I liked Limbo. >>)

The manuscript pages detailing past/future events could have been interesting too, but I think I actually stopped looking at some out of fear of spoilers.

Spectral Dragon

Jun 14, 2011
Well, really any horror game - I think Amnesia and such can be brilliant, but I can't play horror games.

Spore had potential, but... Look how that turned out.

Lost Magic, a pretty unknown game around here for the DS. Drawing to do magic, OKAMI style? Heck yeah. I couldn't get into it, though, it just didn't work...

Metro 2033 seemed interesting too, but for some reason I didn't play that much. Just lost interest.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
Spor-

Oh.

Most of what I would say has already been mentioned.

I'll go for an older one: Battle for Middle Earth 2.

I loved the first one, but the second just changed everything I liked about it and just felt inconsistent. I though I was going to love it because it was using more book material.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Like a few people have said, Mirror's Edge. It kicked ass when you got into the flow, but when you got into combat or some area where your destination wasn't apparent, it turned into a very unfun slog. I'd take the parkour mechanics and make some sort of free-roamer with those, since exploration plays nicely with parkour. Railroading players with ultra-linear courses feels unnatural for a game whose emphasis is on the freedom of movement that you have when you've trained your body to move like an old-school platformer game protagonist.

And if you're going to make the game ultra-linear, at least give us a level editor of some sort. Having built a few Mirror's Edge-style courses in Halo, I'd love to try my hand at something more purpose-built mechanics-wise. Improvising with turrets and grav-lifts may recreate some of the feeling of free-running, but it's as contextual as the sand in Spec Ops: The Line and It'd help to actually build levels around the free-running mechanics specifically.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I'm going to say Monster Hunter. Although the way I experienced it was kind of backwards. I didn't find out about it and think "this sounds awesome, I know I'll love it", to only then buy it and find I hated it. I actually just found a copy of the game in a second hand game shop that used to be in my town. I really miss that place. They still exist, but now it's just a small computer hardware shop, or at least I think it is. But they used to do loads more, and they had a small collection of used games. Although they didn't have much they always had really interesting and unusual games there. I bought a few games there just on how interesting the box seemed. In fact, that's how I came across Elder Scrolls for the first time, when I found this strange little game called "Morrowind". Didn't have a clue what it was back then. The shop also had a very unique smell to it which conjures up a lot of nostalgia. I can't quite describe it, I guess it was the smell of brand new computer parts. It was pretty potent.

But enough nostalgia. I went in there one day and found a strange game on PS2 which I'd never heard of. It looked very Japanese, but not like any other game I'd seen before. I was originally drawn to it because if it's unusual but simple name. Just "Monster Hunter". I thought to myself "hunting monsters sound cool, but why did they just call it that?" It sounded really weird, like if you came across a skating game simply called "Skateboarder". From the look of the box, it didn't seem to have the low production values you would expect from something with such a seemingly uninspired name. In fact it seemed awesome. Fighting enormous monsters and crafting gear out of their remains in a huge, epic landscape. The game was cheap and I was curious, so I went for it.

When I tried it things went pretty wrong pretty fast. I was a different gamer than I am now, so I didn't really know what to make of it. I was thrust right in to the thick of it, right in at the deep end. I was not used to any game doing anything like that. Of course, right from the start they put you up against very imposing creatures. No easing in to this game at all. I couldn't get the hang of it. It wasn't just the difficulty of the game from the start that turned me off. I'd never played a game with a similar tone to Monster Hunter before. I'd never come across anything with similar mechanics. It was completely alien to me and I didn't know where to start. I didn't really know where to go or what to do, and I found the controls very unintuitive. I was completely staggered at the sheer size of the world though. I'd never seen anything close to it. Such a shame I never really explored any of it though.

Alas, my time with the game was short, but it made a big impression on me. Even though I didn't enjoy the game at the time, it left me with a soft spot for games with that kind of atmosphere to them. That quirkiness that you only seem to see from Japanese games. Shadow of the Colossus captures some of that, I think. As does Dragon's Dogma. Probably more the latter than the former. So far I'm having trouble getting in to Dragon's Dogma too, in fact. But I think one day I may give Monster Hunter another chance. If they only released the PS3/360 version of the game outside of Japan, that would have been perfect. But of course, Capcom, like so many other Japanese publishers of late, seem to have become incompetent. They release Monster Hunter for the Wii in the west, but not the consoles with a big online following, particularly the 360. Why bother making a 360 version of any game if you're only going to release it in Japan?

Sean Hollyman said:
Crackdown, I thought it sounded cool, but when I played it it was shitty.
Just out curiosity, why exactly did you think it was shitty?

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
Scrustle said:
Sean Hollyman said:
Crackdown, I thought it sounded cool, but when I played it it was shitty.
Just out curiosity, why exactly did you think it was shitty?
It just couldn't keep my interest, and I was hoping for a better plot than just 'Oh you super cop go kill criminals now'.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Metroid: Other M.
I wanted to like this game. Hell I wanted to LOVE this game. But...I can't. Ignoring the mistreatment of the series protagonist. The game still comes off a bit schitzo on Samus' characterization within it's own setting. It suffers from lackluster game play and a terrible story.

Just...nothing about it works at all

Quellan Thyde

Jul 11, 2011
The Mass Effect series. On the surface, it seemed like a can't-miss thing: epic space combat, deep relationships and moral choices, plenty of shooty fun to be had. Then I actually played it and discovered it to be a console-blinded amalgamation of every bad design habit BioWare has indulged in since its creation. When they say "epic sci-fi RPG" I expect something deeper than "ten-deep menus of blah-blah-blah and crappy battle mechanics." If I wanted that sort of gameplay experience, I'd have gone back to KotOR. At least that game let you use lightsabers.

I know it's not original to dump on ME, but that game was a tremendous personal disappointment.

Quellan Thyde

Jul 11, 2011
ThePenguinKnight said:
Persona 3 FES, it's so slow it's ridiculous.
The Persona games definitely aren't for everyone. I liked 3 & 4 myself, but in my circles I'm pretty much the only one who did.

Quellan Thyde

Jul 11, 2011
Dwarfman said:
Borderlands. The game just seemed boring as hell and yet it was exactly the sought of game I have been dying to play for a long time (Space-western)

Dragon Age: All of them. This honestly surprised me, but I tried to play DA1 and just couldn't get into it. I could never get the isometric view to sit just right - which drove me nuts - and I only liked two of the characters - and one of them of the dog. And I hate dogs.DA2 just looked like a pile of crap. I'll say I'm amazed cause if someone held a gun to my head and forced me to make a top ten favourite games, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and PLanescape: Torment would make the list. By all rights DA1 at the very least should be one of my favourite games.
Couldn't agree more about Borderlands, which is probably the most uninspired game I've ever forced myself to slog through. Dragon Age suffers from a bad case of Mass Effect syndrome, but I've already sperged enough about that in this thread.