Games you didn't like, but you liked the idea of

prophecy2514

Nov 7, 2011
prototype. I loved the design of of alex mercer, and the depth of the combat options, but the combat is so...frighteningly dull and repetitive, and the whole story rather dry and uninteresting. for me anyway

competentfake

May 2, 2008
Doom 3. Setting, flashlight tension, weapons, monster adaptations, even the PDA-driven storyline were all stellar, and nobody makes Hell like ID. If only they hadn't kept the shooting style the same as in the earlier games, i.e., 'point in the general direction of monster, pull trigger'. Having been balls deep in the Halo 2 multiplayer on Xbox LIVE, it was merely disappointing not to have the same tight gunplay in the single-player campaign, but the Doom 3 multiplayer was just painful.

Bethesda will be releasing Doom 3: The BFG Edition in a couple months. It'll be interesting to see if they tightened up the combat any.

LadyTiamat

Aug 13, 2011
Quantum Theory.....interesting spin of the third person shooter with adding an arcane element to it but *shudder* its just broken.

and spore, I still long for a decent evolution sim like spore but MUCH deeper/better/complex

PiCroft

He who waits behind the wall
Mar 12, 2009
Battlecruiser Millenium. A space exploration sim with an unprecendented and to date unmatched level of depth that never had the stability, plot, polish or support it needed to make it anything other than a glorified proof-of-concept.

I loved that it had planets you could land on, beam onto, drop off tanks and soldiers and even yourself in FPS style and if you had the cash, even deploy WMD on planetside cities and bases.

For your ship, a crew you could individually control to tell soldiers to patrol or train, pilots to man their craft and engineers or medics who roamed the ship looking for stuff to fix or people to heal. Simulated viruses and radiation leaks added hazards to your crew's lives besides ship boardings.

In short, it was everything I ever dreamed of in a game, but it was such a buggy poorly-designed and grotesquely unbalanced mess that it can't really be called a game.

If someone made a space game of its kind, but with the polish and care needed to make it a game and not a glorified demo it would be my perfect game ever, ever.

Mirroga

Jun 6, 2009
Mirror's Edge. I don't know if it would've worked better as a third-person, or a first-person but with aid in feet placement.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
RADIALTHRONE1 said:
Dead Island
I liked the game, but i think it could have been alot better in many ways. Almost seems like it wasn't a finished product.

This I suppose, I liked the game, but finished it once and never felt the urge to pick it up again

Kiardras

Feb 16, 2011
WFox said:
Too Human. A scifi RPG based on Norse mythology? It sounded awesome, but was among the worst games I have ever played.
I'll second or third this. The story line and setting were so freaking awesome I wet myself. I just couldn't bring myself to play it because the gameplay was awful.

Brink is another - looked amazing, played fun, but I couldn't even play an offline game against bots without lagging so hard I could barely move.

Halo Wars, looked amazing, was amazing. However I just couldn't get into it.

Tom Clancy's End War - control a battlefield with just your voice? EPIC. However there was very little difference in missions, and it quickly got boring. However the mechanics were amazing (limited LOS, voice control).

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
Borderlands
Spore
Dead Island
Brink
Bioshock 2

Games that have already been mentioned.

Jeremy Dawkins

Oct 17, 2011
X-Men Destiny. It had a good premise: make your own X-man and have them interact with the world. The gameplay was repetitive and there wasn't enough interacting with the Brotherhood and other X-men. If it was handled properly it could have been amazing.

Dwarfman

Oct 11, 2009
Borderlands. The game just seemed boring as hell and yet it was exactly the sought of game I have been dying to play for a long time (Space-western)

Dragon Age: All of them. This honestly surprised me, but I tried to play DA1 and just couldn't get into it. I could never get the isometric view to sit just right - which drove me nuts - and I only liked two of the characters - and one of them of the dog. And I hate dogs.DA2 just looked like a pile of crap. I'll say I'm amazed cause if someone held a gun to my head and forced me to make a top ten favourite games, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and PLanescape: Torment would make the list. By all rights DA1 at the very least should be one of my favourite games.

Dr. Cakey

Feb 1, 2011
I'm going to stretch the topic and say Okami. Not because it's a bad game - the opposite, it's one of my favorites. But many of the brush techniques weren't really new powers, just the same thing...but now with ICE! They didn't take full advantage of the premise.

But it's obvious Clover did this for a reason: drawing with the Celestial Brush was not very easy and it was time-consuming - it would be difficult for the player to easily remember and draw meaningful symbols for all the different elements. So instead they had you use exist material and gave you elemental weapons at tail-end of the game to give you complete freedom.

Mr F.

Jul 11, 2012
Rise of Legends

"Finally, a Steampunk RTS picturing the classic Magic vs Steampunk battle combined with invetions and everything that I love about the Steampunk/Clockpunk genres combined into a single, delicious RTS game? OMFG WIN!"

Reality

"Oh. You overstretched yourself so nobody without a space age computer can run this game on the graphics settings required to make it look good (Its an old game and still chugs sometimes on my current computer which is pretty fucking good) thanks to the engine being balls. There are only three races, only one of them plays interestingly, you never bothered to patch it and for some reason you managed to combine aliens with an utterly racist depiction of the Aztecs. Invention was sidelined, the economics were dull to the extreme, strategy was non-existent. That's fine, you will release a new version of Rise of Nations at some point, right?

Right?

Oh, you quit BHG to go and work on Farmville for Zynga. FUCK. YOU."

Yeah, those were internal monologues. I have never been more let down by a game then by Rise of Legends. It could have been awesome. Hell, it is the spiritual successor to a game I still play (Rise of Nations). I wanted to love it, I really did.

But in the end it was just an utterly generic, totally bland RTS that chugged to hell, was imbalanced as fuck and had the single worst campaign out of any RTS I have ever, and hopefully will ever, play.

Part of me is still hoping that someone grabs the Rise of Nations IP and produces a real game. It played like a real time version of Civ, it looked awesome (For its day), it made similar games look like balls (Looking at you entire Empire Earth series), the AI's were balanced and did not resort to (Overt) cheating (Looking at you entire Empire Earth series)... Man.

On that note (And since I have been ranting) there is on game that held an equal amount of ire for me.

A Game of Thrones: Genesis. To do what was done with that IP should be declared a criminal act. Every man and women involved in the development and production of that game should be taken out behind a shed and shot. At least Rise of Legends was fun if you fought only with the steampunk race against other steampunk races, AGOT Genesis was the single worst RTS that has ever been made. And I had so much hope for it, it being based on perhaps my favourite series of books (And the TV series aint that bad). But instead they made a pile of steaming shit, slapped a branding that would sucker in fans on it and sold it for 30 quid.

Bacon.

Nadia Castle

May 21, 2012
Dead Rising, still a fun little game but running around a mall full of zombies fighting psychopaths should NOT have been that frustrating (That was the game that finally sold me on buying an xbox 360 at launch too).

Star Wars: Rebel Strike, what happened? Adding some on foot missions to an already fantastic series sounded like such a great idea but this was obviously booted out of the door well before it was even past Beta.

bioject

Aug 12, 2010
Spore (and probably Duke Nukem Forever, Perfect Dark Zero, Mass Effect 3) was on the list, but that's already been mentioned. The Lost Videogame is my example.