Games You Enjoy But Are Bad At

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
There's gotta be a bunch out there.

I'm wondering because I just picked up the newest (I think) SSX game because it was discounted on PSN. I adore playing snowboarding games, but I've never particularly been good with them. I have similar results with skateboard games, and I guess other "extreeeeeeme" type games. Though mostly just those two types.

Still, I enjoy playing them. Maybe not to the point where I can justify a 60 dollar release (especially sans local multiplayer, which was always a big part of the draw), but I can pick one up, play it, and have a blast even if I'm sucking. I have a friend who's sort of this way about FPS games. He plays Call of Duty with a group of us more as a social exercise (Which I technically do, too, but I don't completely suck at 'em) than because he knows what he's doing. He gets killed a lot. But he has fun, and so do we, so it's all good.

So I'm curious as to what others might have that they enjoy, but aren't necessarily good at. Do you play a lot? A little? Anything else one might want to fill in here.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Every fighting game ever.

...Well, every Capcom and Arc System Works fighting game.

I'm always good enough to beat new players and anyone who just picks up the game, but past a certain early point of skill I tend to get wrecked. I still love playing the games though, and have been for a number of years now. But I've also cut down on my playing time in them in favor of other games recently. There has been a certain lack of fighting games in the past few years that I've been interested in, so that's probably one reason for the lessened playtime.

Still wanting Guilty Gear Xrd so bad, though.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
Let's see...Skyrim. I enjoy it a lot, but anything above normal setting becomes too hard for me during 'boss fights' and such. Which is funny since I don't find Dark Souls hard at all. Challenging, but not hard. Maybe because I never go with a strong skill set in Skyrim. I just go with what I find fun.

TrackMania Nations Forever as well. It's a ton of fun to bring a few friends together and play/create custom maps. But I'm terrible at it. Any time I manage to finish a track or beat a highscore it's because of pure luck, or because I tried dozens of times.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Solaire of Astora said:
Every fighting game ever.

...Well, every Capcom and Arc System Works fighting game.
I used to be awesome at Capcom games. I went back to them recently (well, a couple years ago), and...well, I suck now. Of course, I've mostly fallen out of love with them, so for me they don't meet the criteria, but I used to love 'em, so it'd suck.

Plus, I still want a Tatsunoko v Capcom game on a system I play. Even if I suck, I'd love to play as Tekkaman Blade.

...That would totally put me in the "love it, but suck" field.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
sanquin said:
Let's see...Skyrim. I enjoy it a lot, but anything above normal setting becomes too hard for me during 'boss fights' and such. Which is funny since I don't find Dark Souls hard at all. Challenging, but not hard. Maybe because I never go with a strong skill set in Skyrim. I just go with what I find fun.
You may just be the first person I've ever seen describe Skyrim as hard. I'm assuming you don't use any of the crafting system since that makes the game very easy.

OT: I was pretty bad at Mount and Blade Warband for quite a while (I use manual blocking) but I still loved it. I'm quite a bit better at it now though and I can't really think of any games I'm currently playing that fit this topic.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
Solaire of Astora said:
Every fighting game ever....
I like a lot of fighting games, but good lord do I suck so badly at them. I can generally clear single-player modes against AI, but against human players (even those who've been playing the game for around the same length of time as me), I almost always lose.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Oh this is easy.

XCOM! All the way. Enemy Within. To be fair, when I ran a series on it, I chose a bad time in my timezone, and some of the episodes I was practically falling asleep.

I just got long war, and I'm barely succeeding with Red Fog and Cinematic Mode on Normal. To be fair, Red Fog does work both ways, and losing a solder's effectiveness after getting shot can be pretty crippling. (as well as losing that solder for 45 days after the fact.)

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
Kotaro said:
Solaire of Astora said:
Every fighting game ever....
I like a lot of fighting games, but good lord do I suck so badly at them. I can generally clear single-player modes against AI, but against human players (even those who've been playing the game for around the same length of time as me), I almost always lose.
Same here, used to pretty good in my younger days but man I can not keep up with the times. Still doesn't keep me from buying them and dreaming about combos I can't possibly pull off.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
Binding of Issac: Rebirth. I love it, most addicting game I've played all year. My current win streak is -66 or something.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
git gud casuls.

I play games way too much, so I pick up the games I play quite easily. I'm not necessarily from get the get go (well... not half the time), but I can hold my own.

When you start out new, it usually puts you up against other new comers and scrubs, so because I'm a fast learner I'm usually MVP pretty quickly, even versus higher level players.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Guess I should put in Strategy games before anyone else. My micro-management skills suck. So I usually just cheat. Enjoyment factor is never lost. My strategy for every game is to turtle up, then just sweep.

I'm pretty bad at RPGs as well. I'd honestly say the only games I'm good at are FPSs.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
I'm gonna have to go with the Total War series. I'm a huge history buff but micromanaging the empire itself isn't something I'm overly good at because it isn't something that interests me to the degree where I enjoy acting it out. I love reading about that stuff though.

I wouldn't say that this could be classified as a game as it's something you do in a game, but I'm pretty bad at sniping in a lot of games. Oddly enough the ones I'm good at in, I'm really, really good at.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Gotta echo a few other people.

Fighting games.

I'm god awful at them...but I like 'em. D: The BlazBlue series in particular.

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
Dark Souls and FTL are the two games I've put a fair amount of time into that I still totally blow at.

I'd like to be able to play fighting and strategy games, but I've never really figured those out.

And I'm decent at shooters, but I'd like to be better I guess. I mostly play single player games but it would be fun to be a bit more competitive in TF2 or CS:GO or what-have-you.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Spelunky. I used to be able to get to at least the Ice Caves once every two or three runs, but now I struggle just to get into the jungle.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
RedDeadFred said:
You may just be the first person I've ever seen describe Skyrim as hard. I'm assuming you don't use any of the crafting system since that makes the game very easy.
Never really used Alchemy. Only a bit of enchanting. And I'd only work on blacksmithing the most. So I didn't used most of the crafting system. ^^;; I recently made a Destruction/Conjuration/Alchemy/Enchanting mage though so I guess this time will be a breeze? :p

Sable Gear

Mar 26, 2009
Every game with a stealth focus.

My most recent examples are Dishonored and the original Thief. I absolutely love these kinds of games but for some reason I'm REAAAALLY bad at them, and that makes me kind of sad. Guess I'll pick them up again once I've worked up the courage to go back...

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Realtime strategy games. Love Starcraft, Warcraft, Company of Heroes, Age of Empires but I always get my ass handed to even the easiest AI.