Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Serious question, what do you get out of watching someone else play a game that you are never going to play? What's the point? Do you treat it like a spectator sport?
Sometimes it's to experience some of the better parts of the game without having to deal with the parts you dislike. Some games have cool stories, awesome artwork, good movies, etc but gameplay that's too difficult, too much bullshit, etc to bother with. Or maybe people want to see what the fuss is about and can't/won't purchase it for any reason?

Remember the whole Sekiro thing and discussion of it being too difficult for some people to play(and thus the whole kerfuffle about difficulty modes)? I imagine there's at least a few people who youtubed it so they could enjoy the game despite not having the reflexes/skills to actually play/finish it(and oh, boy, getting any of the remotely good endings requires some major skills to beat the final boss). Either that or use a mod to make the game easier, which no doubt some people will get pissy about too, because FROM games are only for the worthy.

I loved Hollow Knight but after finishing the true ending I was content to youtube someone else doing the Path of Pain and the 42 Boss ironman marathon in Godmaster. Because while I like the game, I also have a pain threshold and the White Palace was enough, thank you very much.

Same with Celeste. Enjoyed it, finished it through Chapter 7, watched someone else play chapter 9 because fuck no I'm not gonna deal with the bullshit of getting all the damn hearts and then the pure madness that is chapter 9.

Last edited:

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Serious question, what do you get out of watching someone else play a game that you are never going to play? What's the point? Do you treat it like a spectator sport?
Not every game is fun to play, but still has a story worth something. I watched Scary Game Squad play through the RE2 and 3 remakes, and I liked the plot, but I don't really think I would have fun actually -playing- the game.

I also really like the plot of many horror games, but find the gameplay tedious, so again I enjoy watching others play them so I do not have to.

Ofcourse I also have to like the person/people playing them.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Gears of War and most cover shooters. Mainly if they're walkthroughs from Seraphim17.

Anything from Matt, Pat, and Woolie. I watch them play games have played or not played. Sometimes when the person or personality is so entertaining and ejoyable it does not matter to me. With that said, if it's a new game I'm currently playing, I won't watch them until I finish the game. I enoy Max Dood and his crew when playing all types of games. Especially when he or they do fighting games.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I don't watch many videos of people playing games. But, yeah, I'm not playing troll levels in Super Mario Maker while they are quite entertaining to watch someone else play and even that it has to be edited down properly to remove a lot of the replaying of the level. I also find watching people play through puzzle games (that I've already played) and their throught process rather interesting. Lastly, watching top players play a multiplayer game (shooters for me) was how I learned to really get good at the games because it's all about doing the little things, seeing what they do that you don't do and understanding why they do that so you can apply that to your playstyle.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Bad games in general, but more specifically, games like Pepsiman

Too frustrating to play; too weird to ignore.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
None, really.

I might watch a review or a quick video on a game that I am interested in, but I wouldnt necessarily say that there is any game in particular that I actively watch, or enjoy watching.

Im not interested in e-sports. Im not subacribed to any lets-play channels. I dont watch live streams.

Pretty boring, really.

One random but related thing to note: I have a friend with a gaming PC, and I have shared my entire Steam library with him, via Steam family sharing - as a reault, he has access to all of the TellTale games that I own, and he is actively aware of this. Yet, for whatecer reason, instead of playing these games himself, he instead opted to watch someone else play them all on YouTube, and I find that utterly bizzare.

Kuplung

Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 21, 2020
Country
Romania
You get the same high as watching the Super Bowl, yes. Or any sports event for that matter.
Personally I am too worn down after workday to put up with difficulty curves and exploring and backtracking and trial & errors.

DeliveryGodNoah

Legacy
Apr 26, 2020
Country
United States
Dreams on PS4. I enjoy watching people browse around and finding all the really cool, really meme-y, or really shitty content and seeing their reactions to it. But even now owning a PS4 Pro, I probably wouldn't play it. I might change my mind around the time if they bring it to PC.

And then there's practically anything from Nintendo. I just can't get into most of Nintendo's first party library stuff, except Zelda games. They're all great or at least decent games, but I had much more fun watching someone play Mario Odyssey than I did playing it for a couple hours.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Competitive FPS, SMM kaizo levels, souls games, and speed runs.
That's half the reason I watch Dunkey, honestly. The other half being the reviews that annoy the shit out of people.

Yeah, there is literally no way I'm going to waste my time playing a game like Getting Over it. I do enjoy watching someone lose his fucking shit trying to play it. Same with him playing the SMM murder levels.

Last edited:

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
That's half the reason I watch Dunkey, honestly. The other half being the reviews that annoy the shit out of people.

Yeah, there is literally no way I'm going to waste my time playing a game like Getting Over it. I do enjoy watching someone lose his fucking shit trying to play it. Same with him playing the SMM murder levels.
Yeah, I think half the reason I clicked on one of Ryukahr's SMM videos that popped up on my Youtube feed was because of Dunkey's SMM video. My main problem with a lot of Youtubers and LPers is that a lot of them have some annoying shtick and are so very eager trying to be entertaining. I clicked on another dude that does SMM videos and didn't even get through the video as he was trying so hard to be funny and whatnot, just play the game. Ryukahr is just a normal chill dude with A LOT of patience that's just playing the game without trying to put on a "show" so-to-speak.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I like watching playthroughs of older games that I used to love, but don't really feel like going through the effort of playing anymore, like Resident Evil 2 or Silent Hill. Especially if they're played by stupid old people like me. See Two Best Friends when they were still a thing, and Super Beard Bros.

Reactions: BrawlMan

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Sort of yeah. It's fun to watch a person react to the game, to see if they do the things you think in your head would be a good strategy. Or in the case of many youtubers who do let's plays, it's for the humor factor of their personality. It's sort of like, being on the couch with a buddy of yours, watching them play the game, but you just aren't actually next to them, and they aren't able to hear you when you shout at them for doing something silly

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Gears of War and most cover shooters. Mainly if they're walkthroughs from Seraphim17.

Anything from Matt, Pat, and Woolie. I watch them play games have played or not played. Sometimes when the person or personality is so entertaining and ejoyable it does not matter to me. With that said, if it's a new game I'm currently playing, I won't watch them until I finish the game. I enoy Max Dood and his crew when playing all types of games. Especially when he or they do fighting games.
This is what happens when their animator goes nuts with something he likes.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Depends on the genre mostly for me. Like I realized the game design of something like Resident Evil with the Remakes frustrates me too much to sit there and struggle through the game, but I could watch a Let's Play just to see what happens in the story.

For fighting games or RTS, I can appreciate the skill some people with enough dedication have to play them well. I'm more a fan of the former but have really only played MK consistently over the years, because it's always seemed to have the most entertaining content, and the fighting system is easy enough to grasp and still deep enough to be challenging for the amount of time I have to play.

Others like SoulsBorne I like to see how other people play in contrast to my own play style.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Nevermind, you have the correct video now.
Yeah, wasn't paying attention when I did the link originally and only noticed when I checked the thread again. But there are a bunch of those are they are all gold.

Smithnikov

Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Fighting games, but only to get my daily dose of negative energy and hatred of the world.