Games you enjoy watching but not playing

Smithnikov

Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Serious question, what do you get out of watching someone else play a game that you are never going to play? What's the point? Do you treat it like a spectator sport?
What's the point of watching a game of football when you can easily go get a football and play out in the yard with it? What do you get out of it?

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
What's the point of watching a game of football when you can easily go get a football and play out in the yard with it? What do you get out of it?
I don't see what people get out of either playing or watching football.

Smithnikov

Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Oh me too, but I know people DO get a lot out of it and people usually don't question it. I find it weird that people think this applies to video games and not something an entire media industry is built around.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Do you understand the concept of observing something for enjoyment? I'm not trying to be sarcastic here, I'm seriously asking. I mean, the concept is pretty ubiquitous in human culture. We like to watch things happen. The fact that the activity in question isn't something YOU or I like to watch, doesn't make it any different from the simple activity of spectator behavior. But people are wired all kinds of differently, so maybe you are the kind of person who doesn't understand how someone can observe a thing happening, and gain enjoyment from the act of observing it.

So seriously, is there nothing that you like to watch that gives you pleasure/enjoyment? Because if so, whatever THAT thing is, it's the same thing for those who watch people play games.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
So seriously, is there nothing that you like to watch that gives you pleasure/enjoyment? Because if so, whatever THAT thing is, it's the same thing for those who watch people play games.
It is not the same thing at all, given what I enjoy watching enriches my mind and spirit, instead of filling me with tribal divides and toxic masculinity.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
It is not the same thing at all, given what I enjoy watching enriches my mind and spirit, instead of filling me with tribal divides and toxic masculinity.
.......riiiight. You do understand that has nothing to do with the actual point of the thread, or what I was saying right? The fact that you think your stuff is so much better than other people's stuff, doesn't alter the fact that it's the same behavior. It's something you enjoy to watch other people do. The fact that you don't like someone else's thing, doesn't make your behavior differently motivated. It just makes you kinda arrogant.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
.......riiiight. You do understand that has nothing to do with the actual point of the thread, or what I was saying right? The fact that you think your stuff is so much better than other people's stuff, doesn't alter the fact that it's the same behavior. It's something you enjoy to watch other people do. The fact that you don't like someone else's thing, doesn't make your behavior differently motivated. It just makes you kinda arrogant.
My pursuits do not involve willful participation in a culture predicated on rampant consumerism and animalistic savagery. I'm sorry (I'm not, actually), but there has never been a riot, involving arson and wrongful death, from watching a cooking video, and the same cannot be said for "sports". I scarce see how it's the same thing at all.

fOx

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2017
Country
United States
Shin Megami Tensai and Persona 1 and 2. They are unappealing to me, as they are too hardcore, with their rpg dungeon crawling.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Wait, you watch cooking videos? Why not just, y'know, cook things yourself?
Ancients from many cultures, from China to Greece, have distilled the basics of human learning: first, one is taught or learns, second, one applies what they have learned directly, and only through application of knowledge is knowledge truly learned.

I have found a professional chef who has been uploading videos of his homecooking during lockdown. I observe his movement, techniques, and method for managing his small kitchen, and apply that to myself when doing my own cooking, and I have to say, I'm already noticing improvements on how I approach creating a meal at home.