Games you feel that only you played

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
Dragon Seeds - It was a game about raising up mutant creatures called 'Dragons'. The word is pretty loose as you have like some bugs, golems, and at least 2 wtf creatures that are 'dragons'. Anyway you trained up these guys and equipped them to do battle. As the dragon aged it evolved and would change form. Yes it's kinda pokemon-ish but it had it's own spin on the formula that was pretty good but like NO ONE seems to know of this game. I don't think it did well back on the PS1.

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
For me? EVE OF EXTINCTION on the ps2, you know, that short, beat em up fighting game that had awesome sword fighting and just suffered from a crap budget?

It also had a lightsaber.

That was really fun...

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
For me it's Mark of Kri, and Homeworld: Cataclysm. Only seen one other person on this site mention Mark of Kri, and nobody I know personally ever played it. Cataclysm was this delicious little gem that seemed to slip through the cracks because it was made by another developer. Shame, cause it was great, probably the best Homeworld game they did in my opinion.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
Rezalon said:
When it comes to talking about The Elder Scrolls, my favourite all time series, everyone talks about either a) Skyrim b) Online c) Morrowind or even d) Arena or Daggerfall. No love for Oblivion?
My fondest memories of the Elder Scrolls series come from Oblivion.

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
Terranigma. An RPG by Enix for the SNES that I personally think is on par with Chrono Trigger, yet because it was only released in Japan and Europe and towards the end of the SNES lifespan, the game more or less unheard of, even within the JRPG scene. It probably won't ever get a release either. I'm in North America so I've only played the ROM of it, myself...

What a gorgeous game, though. Damn.

FootloosePhoenix said:
To a lesser extent, Spyro: A Hero's Tail and Crash: Twinsanity carried the names of their franchises quite respectably yet not many people acknowledge them. They might not have been as good as the games made by their original creators on the PS1, but I would have been happy if those series had continued going in that direction. Far better than what Activision did with the licenses later, at least.
I'm rather fond of The Legend of Spyro games for similar reasons. They're flawed, of course, but I still think they're fun and charming in their own way. It has a sizeable deviantART fanbase made up of furries and lots of "original characters" that are nothing but shitty Cynder recolors... Outside of that they're never mentioned, especially now that Skylanders overshadows them by sheer exposure.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
I picked up a game called Steel Lancer Arena International (S.L.A.I.). He had never opened it and had just got some other game for PS2 and admitted it was cheap at gamestop and he wasn't ever going to play it. He said i could have it and to this day i am the only person i know who has ever played that game or even heard of it. Which is a shame because it's a decent game it just takes forever to get going. It's supposed to the spiritual sequel to some xbox game which is weird because i think it was a PS2 exclusive.

Pete Oddly

Nov 19, 2009
Johnny Impact said:
Pete Oddly said:
I too have reduced caterpillars to rows of green dots and driven the humans from their homes in panic! Of course, this means our two colonies must now go to war! Next question, did you play SimLife?

OT: I will be very impressed if anyone else has played an old PC game called Dungeon Master. Grid-based dungeon crawl in real time with a four-man party made of guys released from magic stasis mirrors. First game I played where you had to feed, water, and sleep your team to keep health and energy up. Magic was a four-tier rune alphabet, combine Fire plus Flight to get a fireball, that sort of thing. Also first game I played where you had to keep a light source going or it was unplayably pitch-ass dark. Interesting stable of D&D knockoff enemies: shriekers, mummies, earth elementals, golems, beholders, and blue dudes that I guess were orcs or something. Final boss could not be defeated by force, the gimmick for defeating him required you to find the five keys needed to unseal and complete the mystic Firestaff. Challenging, addictive, enormous (for the time) and very atmospheric. There's a version here http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/851
Nah, just SimAnt and SimCity. They really should make another SimAnt, with more species of the buggers and other cool new bells and whistles.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
carlsberg export said:
I have no mouth and I must scream.
I've been playing a lot of point and click lately and this has been a favourite.
based on the short story and including the author voicing the main antagonist, I have found this game to be a good challenge.
the plot consists of a military supercomputer (allied master computer) becoming self aware and decides it hates humanity for making it highly intelligent yet unable move or act on free will, basically it is the equivalent of a paraplegic.
It renames itself AM from allied master computer as in 'I think therefore I AM' and kills every human on earth bar five people that it has kept alive and tortured for 109 years.
The game can be challenging and I enjoyed learning the back story to the survivors. I haven't finished with the 'good' ending yet though.
I was TOTALLY about to mention IHNMAIMS because I'm the only person of anyone I've known, personally or not, that's even READ the short story, let alone played the game based on it. One of my favourite short stories, full stop. I love that ALL of it is voice acted and while it DOES stray from the path of the story, it helps that it was still written by Harlan Ellison so it's still legit. Also I love how hammy he made AM xD Just makes me giggle in a twisted sort of way.

OT: One game I had for my DS (that I think I stole from my brother) that I found cutesy and adorable was "The Legendary Starfy" which is something not a lot of people have heard of. Yeahhh it seems like a Kirby ripoff but I still found it enjoyable and it was actually something of a collect-a-thon so it appealed to me.

There was this game I LOVED as a kid called "Shrek Super Party" which was an attempt to cash in on the "Mario Party" franchise but for some reason, I liked the Shrek version a HELL of a lot more because the games weren't as... button mash-y and it was cute stylistically. It also went in a couple different directions which made it refreshing instead of just a pain in the ass to play.

Or are those too "new" or do they not count?

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
I kinda feel like nobody has heard of divine divinty. It is a really good game with a stupid name. once you get past the hurtle that is the big dungeon under the starting village this games really opens up and there is a lot to explore. It by no means a perfect game but I really like it.

Dalisclock said:
Superbrothers: The Sword and Sworcery EP.
I played that game before on a Iphone in the past(over a few years ago). It was kinda cool and the music was pretty good. I got at some point I got it in a humble bundle and It's currently in my steam library. I have yet to play it on the my computer.

Riddle78 said:
Jaunt(Help(),Spark()).
transistor. It's one of my favorite to come out this year
I wonder how effecting a jaunt with a help and spark would be. I going have try that out now.

edit- you make 5 copies of your self when you use jaunt. I'm not entirely sure how effective it would be in combat but it's an interesting effect.

Ieyke said:
Arcanum:Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura
I heard of that game. It is a game made by the same developers who made Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines. It's setting is fantasy world during having an industrial revolution. I have been meaning to buy this game at some point because it seems interesting and unique.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
AetherWolf said:
Terranigma. An RPG by Enix for the SNES that I personally think is on par with Chrono Trigger, yet because it was only released in Japan and Europe and towards the end of the SNES lifespan, the game more or less unheard of, even within the JRPG scene. It probably won't ever get a release either. I'm in North America so I've only played the ROM of it, myself...

What a gorgeous game, though. Damn.
I was introduced to that game by an old friend. I didn't realize till a while after I played it that it was essentially the sequel to Illusion of Gaia.

A wonderful but somewhat flawed game. I love the idea that you're essentially recreating the world from nothing, and then helping civilization progress. However, it was really weird how the progression worked(and nobody really aged despite the fact it was like hundreds of years of progress were happening). That and it all seems to get rather weird near the end where it seems like things just happen with no real cause/effect.

I'd love to see this game remade, except with enough time and care to actually make it all work together. I suspect that part of the problem was the limitations of the SNES cartridge, so even if they had wanted to make things bigger and more cohensive, they didn't have the space for it.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Reincarnatedwolfgod said:
I kinda feel like nobody has heard of divine divinty. It is a really good game with a stupid name. once get past the hurtle that is the dungeon under the starting village this games really opens up and there is a lot to explore. It by no means a perfect game but I really like it.

Ieyke said:
Arcanum:Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura
I heard of that game. It is a game made by the same developers who made Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines. It's setting is fantasy world during having a industrial revolution. I have been meaning to buy this game at some point because it seems interesting.
I have most of the Divinity games, and I've yet to play any of them. I also have Arcanum, but I've yet to get past the first town(mostly because I can't get past the dudes guarding the river crossing).

I really need to play them.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Happyninja42 said:
For me it's Mark of Kri, and Homeworld: Cataclysm. Only seen one other person on this site mention Mark of Kri, and nobody I know personally ever played it. Cataclysm was this delicious little gem that seemed to slip through the cracks because it was made by another developer. Shame, cause it was great, probably the best Homeworld game they did in my opinion.
I've played a little bit of HW:C and I've heard it's awesome. The problem I remember it being really tricky to get running on my PC of a couple years back. I'd love to see an HD remake of it so much.

Or at least a GOG rerelease.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Rezalon said:
When it comes to talking about The Elder Scrolls, my favourite all time series, everyone talks about either a) Skyrim b) Online c) Morrowind or even d) Arena or Daggerfall. No love for Oblivion?
I'll be sure to talk about it more! Who Dunnit is probably my favourite quest ever. The entire Dark Brotherhood questline was pure gold, but that quest was brilliant. Shivering Isles is probably my favourite expansion. I also enjoyed the Thieves Guild questline a lot too. The Arena was a lot of fun too. I wish they'd kept that in Skyrim. That's what mods are for though.

Anway: two games I like a lot but barely ever see anyone talk about are Shining Force and Mount and Blade Warband. I know a couple people have, but not really as many as I would expect. Okay, maybe not for Shining Force since those are really old games (the first two anyway), but Warband is a sandbox lover's dream.
Want to be a bandit who goes around pillaging random villages? You can do that.
Want to be a fairly peaceful trader? You can do that too.
Want to be an expert tactician/trainer who can lead men yet isn't all that great in combat? You can do that.
Want to be a loyal nobleman who carries out his king's wishes and helps him conquer the world? You can do that.
Want to betray that king, start your own kingdom whilst swaying some lords to your cause, and then take over your ex-king's lands one by one? You can do that.

That's just the base game. Then there's the modding community and multiplayer (something I haven't even gotten to yet). There aren't as many mods for the game as there are for the Elder Scrolls series, but let's just say that some of the bigger ones put the best of Skyrim's to shame. Seriously, they're entirely new games on entirely new maps, with more mechanics and depth which essentially make the vanilla game seem like a tutorial.

I think the main things that turns people off of the series are the sub-par graphics (though, I don't see how people's machines could handle amazing graphics when you're in battles with 100 NPCs on screen at a time (more if you use the battlesizer mod). Also, there's a pretty huge learning curve so that can definitely push people away too. However, I honestly think that the game has some of the best melee combat mechanics in any game ever.
You want to swing from the right? You left click and move your mouse to the right.
You want to block an attack from above? You have to right click and move your mouse up.
It feels more like real combat than simply hacking and slashing your way through hordes of enemies.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Scorched Earth

Did you ever play that game "Worms" where heavily armed worms would try to blow each other up on a 2D screen? Well this was like that.

Each player controlled a tank, would earn money for every player they killed, could set up AI opponents are had access to a gigantic array of ammunition, one of which (for an astronomical price) would basically wipe out everything, land and units, on the entire map (including you).

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Didnt they have a dino crisis in space? With a sortof jetpack? Well thats the only one i remember playing anyway.
Psi-ops was definately very good. No doubt about that.

I have flawed, but endearing(ish) ones:

Body harvest - some free roaming, time hopping, alien killing, vehicle stealing...thing. N64 only i am unsure.

MKUltra - Not sure on this name but you a black suited, parachuting alien whos gun is his/her face. Ps1 only. Difficult.

S.C.A.R.S - A strange N64 racer where the cars are based on animals.

Vexx - An old but great original xbox platformer where you are some mole/wolverine hybrid.

Turok wars - chickens in deathmatches. I remember only that.

G-police - Ahh finally the name returns to me! Futuristic police helicoptering on Ps1. Cant say if its good, though my kid self liked it.