Games you get mad that you can't talk about

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Z of the Na said:
Nobody seems to mention the original Black and White ever.

That game was...godlike [http://mirrors.rit.edu/instantCSI/].
I can't list that one because several of my friends played it. xD We would talk about the crazy stuff our animals got into all the time. My favorite being my pet adopting an Elderly Transport System. At some point, possibly watching me, he learned to pick up the elderly people on their way home late in the day. Since they moved so slow, it would take them forever to get home. So, he would occasionally walk over, pick up one of the villagers who was having trouble getting home, and carry them to their house, and deposit them on the doorstep. xD

He was such a good ape. When I first saw him pick up the person, I thought he was about to throw/eat it, and I was getting ready with a BAD BOY! slap, then I noticed he was walking to town, and I gave him so many belly rubs after I learned what he did. xD

Rayce Archer

Jun 26, 2014
I feel like a Nazi for saying this but... I got bored of Odin Sphere. I just couldn't get behind grinding every single character on sweets and tea parties just to fight the same gauntlet of five or so bosses in a SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT ORDER. Not to mention the frustration of "fight your future character wow so badass" then you play as that character and... Yeah.

A real shame 'cause the art was amazing. I think if there'd been any variety at all I would have stuck with it.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
When you wrote "can't talk about" I thought you meant because everybody makes fun of whoever plays it or gets angry at them.

OT: Magic Carpet, Descent (DOOM but with space ships, flying robots and 3D mazes), Descent Freespace (a copy of X-Wing, but still good) and Metroid Prime Trilogy: Collector's Edition (it had the remakes of the first two MP in widescreen and adapted for the Wiimote).

EDIT: Or just Metroid Prime 2. I mean, MP1 was great and everything. But MP2 was way more cool. The ambience in the first part was so creepy that it could be a T-rated Dead Space scene (with reanimated corpses included).

ArcadianDrew

Sep 3, 2014
Fighters Destiny for the N64. I feel like if I bring it up people who played the better fighting games will tell to cram it because it's just not as good. To me though, I thought it was excellent, I have no frame of reference for fighting games though as it's the only one I've played, hence, why I don't really mention it.

With my friends, there's only two of us who seriously game (me and another - he even took 1 week off work just to play GTA5 when it released), and we play completely different genres of games so I never get to have gaming conversations. Suppose that's why I joined here, more people wanna discuss gaming.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
An obvious homage to Final Fantasy or other such JRPG music but it stands on its own as good battle music regardless. Or maybe because of it being a homage?
Hey, good battle music is good battle music. That track reminds me of some JRPG's battle theme in particular, but I can't think of which. All the ones I remember clearest are the rock-inspired ones (especially Baten Kaitos).

Symphonic Rain... Is that the one where it's always raining in town and there's a bunch of piano playing minigames and you're looking for a concert partner? If my late night "fuck it, why not download everything*" Fuwanovel 3am browsing memory is right.

A game that I would have kept going with if it allowed the use of a Guitar Hero controller... I suck at keyboard rhythm games, i've not played PC games for that long compared to consoles and if it suddenly tells me to hit Z,V,G then back to Q,E i'm fuckin' done. Too many damn keys.
You don't have to actually play the rhythm game, since it's got an auto-play feature. Unless it's a matter of honor.

Not because it was frustrating me either. I just know i'm going to be punished by a super sad ending if I don't do at least average.
Actually, I think the only rhythm game section that has an actual story effect is the final one. Doing poorly can get you either Fal's or Lise's bad ending (and it's possible to get Fal's bad ending automatically, depending on a choice you make earlier). I don't remember what gameplay effects the songs have in Torta's route or the secret route.

I don't know for sure, because I stopped failing the rhythm sections. It took me thirty tries to be able to pass Rain Musique for the first time with a gold, but I refused to stop reloading until I got it down. Which may actually have been defeating the purpose, in a way, since I think they're supposed to be training sessions. You actually get the option to practice in-game at a few points, which is otherwise strange, since you can play the rhythm game as much as you want outside the story (including songs that aren't available in the story itself, like the main ending and each character's personal ending theme).

As far as super sad endings are concerned...well, that's the reason I even brought it up in this thread, because I can't risk talking about it. I will say that the endings are at varying points on a bittersweetness scale. And one bad ending doesn't so much break that scale as defy it.

[sub][sub]*Because fucking Yandere exists...[/sub][/sub]
Must you remind me? My go-to example for that kind of thing is usually Virgin Roster, a game who's mere plot summary nauseates me, but I honestly can't tell which of those two games I'd be less willing to play. I guess it depends on whether I'd prefer to vomit up my soul, or just my lunch.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
CaitSeith said:
EDIT: Or just Metroid Prime 2. I mean, MP1 was great and everything. But MP2 was way more cool. The ambience in the first part was so creepy that it could be a T-rated Dead Space scene (with reanimated corpses included).
Oh geez, that part creeped me the hell out. Just that music, and the way those...things move.

I agree, though. I liked MP2 even more than the original. Especially because the Darkburst is one of my favorite weapons in any game ever.

mrbonzai211

Mar 30, 2009
I forgot all about Mark of Cree until you guys all brought it up. First game I ever played where you could impale people and the weapon wouldnt disappear after the animation was over. I remember there was a level where you got mobbed by like 100 guys and I had this big axe and all you could see were heads flying in every direction. Totally legit game.

Btw, I clicked on someones award medal saying "do not press this button".... and i did press the button.... and for 3 days everyones avatar is a picture of a young Justin Beiber.... I hate you guy who did this to me :D

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Z of the Na said:
Nobody seems to mention the original Black and White ever.

That game was...godlike [http://mirrors.rit.edu/instantCSI/].

You have chosen wisely, my son. Blessings of forest miracles and disciple breeders upon thee.

OT: I used to be unable to talk about Freelancer because nobody in China played it. Lots of people here appreciate it, though, so that's...freakin' sweet. Yeah, baby. Space lasers.

With that in mind, I suppose it'd have to be Shadowgrounds - a fairly simple top-down alien shooter that I found surprisingly scary when I first played it. It's nothing particularly special and certainly not great, but I enjoyed it a lot for what it was. Good game.

EDIT: Goodness gracious, how could I forget Zanzarah: The Hidden Portal???

Irick

Apr 18, 2012
vector_zero said:
MYST - I remember playing it in High School as part of a technology class.

Mark of Kri. - One of the best Ps2 games ever.

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars - People haven't played this game. What?!
MYST was great, as was Riven.

Heh, I got a demo of Mark of Kri for the PS2 on a demo disk when i was a kid because I was underage and M rated games where not a thing my parents bought for me. (But I could play Halo at Church. Thank God~)

Super mario RPG was great! As was Paper Mario.

Ugh... I can't discuss games much ever, so it frustrates me to no end.

My background is academic. If it's not a popular college game, I don't get to talk about it to my peers. I'm hoping that as games become more mainstream that even games that people won't play will get absorbed via cultural osmosis.

BeoW0lfe

Jan 31, 2013
Games we can't talk about in normal conversation? Miku? Anybody? Project Diva F. Not even once, and certainly not after that letterman performance.
Also, Fate Stay Night. Its awesome, and since Realta Nua the h-scenes have been removed. No excuse not to get in the game. Too bad the word count turns people off, its longer than LotR.

Liquidprid3

Jan 24, 2014
Most of my friends are Nintendo fans, and literally none of them even knew about the Mother series until I told them about it. They went all these years not knowing where Ness/Lucas were from. I'm still the only one who's actually played them.

the_great_cessation

Nov 29, 2011
Quite honestly, I have almost never had the opportunity to talk about a good bulk of my favorite games in any depth in real life despite being well known on the internet (Psychonauts, Beyond Good and Evil, Viewtiful Joe, Jet Grind Radio, Mother 3, Jade Empire, the Oddworld series, Jet Force Gemini, and even recent favorite likes The Wolf Among Us, Popo and Yo, The Cave, Puppeteer and The Unfinished Swan being some of the most prominent examples).

However, to stay on the topic of games that you love that you actually never get to talk about, even on the internet, I'm going throw out a few big ones. Firstly, I adore the Maximo games (Army of Zin especially). I actually only played these recently as their art style and gameplay directly appealed to my nostalgia for the late 90s/Early 00s kid culture which these games revel in. The platforming is tight, the combat is simple yet satisfying and the art direction is superb and really captures a mix of low fantasy pulp and Saturday morning cartoon goofiness. With that said, I do feel that there are a few major design choices (mainly the save and continue system) that make the game much more frustrating than it really has right to be. In fact, I think it's adherence to living up to the cult of difficulty cultivated by Ghosts N' Goblins actually undermines the game as without it's frustrating save system (and awkward camera controls in Ghosts to Glory) it would easily a series I could mention in the same breath as many of my other 6th gen favorites. If you actually ever look to try out a Maximo title, I'd have to recommend it's sequel "Army of Zin" which is a better game in almost every way.

Some other oft forgotten favorites would include
> Battle Tanx (as was mentioned previously)
> Otogi: Myth of Demons / Otogi 2: Immortal Warriors
> Shadow of Rome
> Power Stone series
> Vigilante 8
> Primal
> Second Sight
> Kameo: Elements of Power (Despite being developed by Rare, I never see anyone talk about this game in ether a positive or negative sense)
> Armed and Dangerous

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
Baffle said:
New Zealand Story. It's really old. Like ... your nan old.
You mean Kiwi Kraze?

*Gets shot!*

Yeah I deserved that one. Seriously I had no idea it went by another name as a kid and for the longest time. Makes sense I guess. Could never get past like stage 3.

For me, several games. The Grandia Series, Arc the Lad, lots of Atlas titles. Heck I run into FF fans that don't know about Final Fantasy Tactics! Err the PS one that is. I could go on and on since I'm the 'mega gamer' of my circle of friends or whatever title they give me.

mrbonzai211

Mar 30, 2009
the_great_cessation said:
> Shadow of Rome
> Power Stone series
> Vigilante 8
> Primal
> Second Sight
> Kameo: Elements of Power (Despite being developed by Rare, I never see anyone talk about this game in ether a positive or negative sense)
> Armed and Dangerous
Power stone 2 is better than any smash brothers ever... I will fight you if you disagree :D

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
> Wheel of Time. Awesome FPS where you throw around spells like ranging from your lowly air dart to the staple fireball and the all-powerful balefire. Really challenging, but unique and challenging. I think one of the Half Life's came out around the same time, probably why nobody has ever heard of it.

> Breath of Fire. Amazing JRPG with great mechanics and a likeable cast. BoF III had *thousands* of dragon transformations, and BoF 4 had amazing art, animations and graphics assets for a PS1 game. I think it just gets lost in the crowd in between all the other JRPG games.

> Gladius. This is an amazing Fantasy tactical RPG. And for a change, the 'Fantasy' isn't generic D&D knockoff fantasy, but set in a fantasy version of the Roman Empire, and it came with two campaigns! One of the best buys one could make for the PS2, IMO.

> Colony Wars. I get delightful Babylon 5 vibes off of this game, and I love it. A complex, multiple-ending campaign with more variety and impact from your actions than your average Biowarerpg, but was a starfighter sim. I have only ever met one other person who has played any of the three games, sadly.

> Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. Yeah, it isn't the Computer RPG, and Champions of Norrath arguably perfected the formula, but *darn* it was fun! This series was like a gateway drug for me to get into the Forgotten Realms D&D setting, and I'd buy a Dark Alliance 3 in a hearbeat. I want to find out what happened to Vhaidra, Allesia, Dorn, etc!

> Medievil. I miss Dan Fortesque! Sure, the sequels might not have lived up to the first games dark atmosphere and unique humor, but the first game is just gold. One of my favorite hack and slash games.

> Croc. I think it suffers from beign overshadowed from its contemporaries-Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon, but this series had its own charm, and if you really wanted a challenging platformer, it was a good choice.

> Dune. This series had quirky but somehow charming aesthetics and acting (with FMV!) Sure, the pathfindign was rubbish, but I loved house Ordos, Harkonnen, and (of course) Atreides.

> Shogo, Nexus: The Jupiter Incident, Geneforge, various others.

Too many good games out there which people just don't seem to be aware of. I hope some folks will consider giving a few of the ones mentioned here a try :)

mrbonzai211

Mar 30, 2009
Oroboros said:
> Wheel of Time. Awesome FPS where you throw around spells like ranging from your lowly air dart to the staple fireball and the all-powerful balefire. Really challenging, but unique and challenging. I think one of the Half Life's came out around the same time, probably why nobody has ever heard of it.

> Breath of Fire. Amazing JRPG with great mechanics and a likeable cast. BoF III had *thousands* of dragon transformations, and BoF 4 had amazing art, animations and graphics assets for a PS1 game. I think it just gets lost in the crowd in between all the other JRPG games.

> Gladius. This is an amazing Fantasy tactical RPG. And for a change, the 'Fantasy' isn't generic D&D knockoff fantasy, but set in a fantasy version of the Roman Empire, and it came with two campaigns! One of the best buys one could make for the PS2, IMO.

> Colony Wars. I get delightful Babylon 5 vibes off of this game, and I love it. A complex, multiple-ending campaign with more variety and impact from your actions than your average Biowarerpg, but was a starfighter sim. I have only ever met one other person who has played any of the three games, sadly.

> Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. Yeah, it isn't the Computer RPG, and Champions of Norrath arguably perfected the formula, but *darn* it was fun! This series was like a gateway drug for me to get into the Forgotten Realms D&D setting, and I'd buy a Dark Alliance 3 in a hearbeat. I want to find out what happened to Vhaidra, Allesia, Dorn, etc!

> Medievil. I miss Dan Fortesque! Sure, the sequels might not have lived up to the first games dark atmosphere and unique humor, but the first game is just gold. One of my favorite hack and slash games.

> Croc. I think it suffers from beign overshadowed from its contemporaries-Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon, but this series had its own charm, and if you really wanted a challenging platformer, it was a good choice.

> Dune. This series had quirky but somehow charming aesthetics and acting (with FMV!) Sure, the pathfindign was rubbish, but I loved house Ordos, Harkonnen, and (of course) Atreides.

> Shogo, Nexus: The Jupiter Incident, Geneforge, various others.

Too many good games out there which people just don't seem to be aware of. I hope some folks will consider giving a few of the ones mentioned here a try :)
The Dune RTS series was my favotire... wow I forgot those existed... damn you Starcraft!