Games you hate that everybody else seems to love.

AM City Watch

Nov 10, 2010
I never got Ocarina of Time. Maybe it just doesn't hold the same nostalgia for me that most of its fans attach to it.

On the actual hatred front, Mass Effect 2. Mostly because the story made so little sense it could be set before Mass Effect 1 and make more logical sense.

Jefferist

Mar 27, 2011
Jazoni89 said:
Minecraft - To me its just a lego builder for 15 year old ADD kids.
>To me its just a lego builder for 15 year old ADD kids.
>just a lego builder for 15 year old ADD kids.
>lego builder for 15 year old ADD kids.
>15 year old ADD kids.
>ADD kids.
>ADD

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Rockchimp69

Dec 4, 2010
HalfChance said:
Do you have a game that you just can't stand or just don't get? Yet it seems that every critic and man on the street has an accident in their trousers just talking about it

If so let us know what it is.

For me it's Portal, I could never really find anything I liked about it, Even the "humour" didn't really appeal to me.
You didn't like messing around with the portal mechanic? I guess it can get a bit boring..

OT: Cod - I like it every now and then, what I don't understand is how people can never get tired of it.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
I've only played the first 2, but I don't really care for the Assassin's Creed series. Again like many people are saying, I don't hate it. I Mean I try to like it, I really do, I just don't have that much fun I mean after about 20 minutes I get bored.

That and they give me massive headaches whenever I play them for some reason.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare/Modern Warfare 2/Black Ops

They all suck.

Yes, I just said that.

Manatee Slayer

Apr 21, 2010
Oblivion. An empty, lonely world with a stupid leveling system with, what feels like, a copy and pasted environment. Feels like it could have been made using Unity.

EGtodd09

Oct 20, 2010
on behalf of my friend eddie, every single AAA game ever made that isn't portal 2. I actually can't think of another AAA game he likes. He's really into that whole indie games scene, he's also gay. I think he might even be trying to be different. But he's probably just a very special case. WAIT WAIT WAIT, he also likes Doom 1 and 2 I think. In fact he really like a lot of those old games, its really just the new AAA titles he hates. As for me, the only games I've ever hated is kind of nothing, its the game engine. The one Volition uses in red faction guerrilla and saints row 2 is just messed up on my PC, and I can't play with it.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Demon's Souls. It's just so frustrating and bland it sucks all the fun out of the game.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
Dragon Age: Origins (haven't played the second one). No offence to people who like it, but I can't understand at ALL what's so good about it. The atmosphere's really dull, the storyline's nothing special, it rips off other games shamelessly (it stole so many things from Warcraft's lore it's unbelievable), the characters weren't particularly interesting to me, most parts of the game (especially when you go to the Twisting Nether Fade to get the mages to join you) were boring for me to a point where it was unbearable to play, having silent protagonists always bugs me (you CAN make him/her talk, but he/she doesn't 'say' anything), and the game just didn't have much imagination put into it at all. Nearly everything was either taken from other games or just not very good. I mean seriously dude, Orzammar. That's one of the things that stuck out the most. The place looks exactly like Ironforge, the main Dwarf city in World of Warcraft, and it sounds remarkably like "Orgrimmar", another city in Warcraft. I could go into a long list of things it took from games but I'm too lazy.

Kadoodle

Nov 2, 2010
ZamielTheHunter said:
Halo, I find them average at best, but they were treated as though they were the best games ever when they came out.
Cause they were. But ONLY when they came out.
HalfChance said:
Do you have a game that you just can't stand or just don't get? Yet it seems that every critic and man on the street has an accident in their trousers just talking about it

For me it's Portal, I could never really find anything I liked about it, Even the "humour" didn't really appeal to me.

Yeah, sure, and I bet you can divide by zero as well.

Me? Black ops. I know that on the escapist that game is universally hated, but that's because the escapist is full of pretentious gaming elitists like myself, but Everybody I know loves it to death.

Dragon age. Looks like a generic RPG with god-awful graphics.

FF7. It's another generic angsty JRPG with large swords.

Gears of War. Ok, it actually has some nice gameplay mechanics, but everything else about it is so repulsive and plebeian. It's aimed at the lowest form of american; the characters have huge armor, unnecessarily large guns, and the guns have undermounted chainsaws. That's somewhat ok to a point, but when you give a white guy a dewrag, you know its gone too fucking far.

PureIrony

Slightly Sarcastic At All Times
Aug 12, 2010
I dislike Half Life 2, though given I played on Xbox, it could just be a bad port.

Also, Gordon Freeman is not a compelling character. His inability to talk is not a likable trait. It is jarring to watch interesting characters talk to him and have him respond without so much as a grunt.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Jefferist said:
Jazoni89 said:
Minecraft - To me its just a lego builder for 15 year old ADD kids.
>To me its just a lego builder for 15 year old ADD kids.
>just a lego builder for 15 year old ADD kids.
>lego builder for 15 year old ADD kids.
>15 year old ADD kids.
>ADD kids.
>ADD

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Not to insult the people who play it obviously, but that's what i feel about the game.

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
If there's any game I hate, it's the CoD series. Why? Three words. Permanent aim assist. It makes me feel like IW and Treyarch are patronising me.

A game I don't like meanwhile most people do would be Fallout 3. It was well done and very atmospheric during the time in the vault. Then, you leave and the atmosphere dies.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
HalfChance said:

You can't hate Portal. It's the only thing I ever played on my 360, (aside from XBLA games) that actually has a soul.

Unique gameplay mechanic+awesome level design is enough for me. The "humor" is an added bonus.

I hate CoD. Actually, that's not fair. I think it's decent...a 7. But the fact that people think it's a godsend is insanely frustrating. At least Halo has open levels, different enemy units, and color.

gardyna

Jun 7, 2010
some people are gona despise me for this but I couldn't stand ICO the atmosphere was good but by god that Yorda girl is 100% useless and umber than a headless chicken. Atmosphere alone can't hold up a game (the other game mechanics were meh most of them revolved around saving Yorda's stupid behind).

on the oposite end there is one game I enjoyed a lot (it's not incredible but it's decent) is final fantasy 7: dirge of cerberus. saly I'm not sure why exactly I like it, the shooting works and you feel like a badass most of the time and the level design is a fair bit above the average. but everyone seems to realy dislike it for some reason (the story was meeeh but it was intresting to see Vincents origins)

linkblade91

Dec 2, 2009
Final Fantasy 7. It's not that I hate the game, I just never thought it was as amazing as everyone badgered on about. I honestly thought FF8 was better, but maybe I'm the weird one...

And for another example, I'll throw out Majora's Mask. I always considered it more of an expansion pack to OoT rather than a complete game in of itself, and while the time mechanic was unique it never quite sold me on the idea. Lost interest in it about 3/4 of the way through, but by then I felt some form of responsibility to keep going.

I personally loved Wind Waker, so again maybe I'm some kind of anomaly.