Games you have played to death?

J-meMalone

Jan 11, 2009
KotOR 2 and both Shenmue games. Bloody hell do I love those games, but I've played them so much, explored all their nooks and crannies to such an extent I can play them in my sleep. And because of that they've sort of lost their magic with me. They'll always have special places in my heart, but I have just, honestly, played them to death. :(

Kapri

Jul 20, 2011
Resident Evil 4. It's not even funny I think I know where every single treasure and secret is.

Gearhart Ronkus

Mar 8, 2012
235 hours on Civ 5 and have been playing that IP since the original. I would say I have played five the least of the whole series. Then WoW I really don't want to add up that time, been playing off and on since launch. It is like comfort food I go back when everything else seems dull or unsatisfying :p

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
Tales of Symphonia.

I've put an absolutely ridiculous amount of my life into this game. Hundreds and hundreds of hours. Probably over a thousand by now.

Other titles I've played a great great deal of is Chrono Trigger and Pokemon Red. I took Red everywhere and played the game dozens and dozens of times. And Chrono Trigger is something I've played to such death it's in a puddle of liquid.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
Dragon age: Origins: countless alts and hours put into that amazing game. Fuck DA2, it was actually a good game but not nearly as good as origins.
WoW: no need to explain
Fallout New Vegas: I put so much time into the ps3 version and about 40 into the pc
Oblivion: My first Elder Scrolls game, it was amazing.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Tetris. On my GameBoy. I played it until the cart broke.
Also, Shanghai on the same console.
There's also the Genesis King's Bounty - I have no idea how many times I played that.
Master of Magic (DOS), Civilization 2, Alpha Centauri, Crusader Kings...

More recently - Extreme Warfare Revenge.

NoeL

May 14, 2011
Games I've played to the proverbial death:
Minecraft (SSP)
Guitar Hero
Smash Bros./Smash Bros. Melee
Ocarina of Time

Games I've played a lot:
Battletoads (NES version)
Mario 64
Banjo Kazooie

YuheJi

Mar 17, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
Just recently, League of Legends. So damn addicting, I even went and got the Pentakill Sona skin. Sooooo damn cool!

I will get good with Riven if it kills me! No way i'm letting go of the coolest character in the game! Then I shall buy her Battle Bunny skin and own more face with it nyahahahahaha!

Difficult but Awesome is just Riven in a nutshell. I once Broken Wings'd into a bush instead of into a low health Jarvan just because she was facing the wrong way XP. She only changes direction if you're hovering your mouse over an enemy otherwise she just goes straight forward. She does not follow where your cursor is if it's not hovering over an enemy, it's kinda important to remember that...

Needless to say "Report Riven!" was posted in All Chat soon thereafter.

[sub]So i reported that guy for "Negative Attitude" Trololololol![/sub]

Her Ult is the most "oh fuck this!" thing in the game. Guy flashing away on low health? Dash into range with Valour, reforge the sword, make the cutest little battle cry ever and just Wind Slash the fucker down.

"The time for talk is over..."

Well, actually Karthus' Ult is the most "oh fuck this" thing in the game. Press R to Win indeed...

I'm not even lvl 30 yet, I doubt i'll be going into Ranked anytime soon anyway. You seen the godlike amount of last hits people get? There was an Ashe in one of the random Spectate games on the homepage just going "pew, pew, pew" and getting every single last hit in the lane... I know she's a Carry and that's her job but all of them? Really?

In general, the Ace Attorney games. People who claim zero replay value are just wrong. Good games are always worth replaying.
Yeah, a lot games that are featured for spectate are very high ELO games. So a lot of the players are actually professional LoL players, and those guys can literally get every single last hit. It really makes you realize how big a difference last hitting well makes though, as they can then build items so much faster as well.

As for my game, I used to play TF2 a lot. I main spy, and there were periods of time in real life when I would get excited when people turned their backs on me. I would be like, "Oh, great! They're open for a backstab!" and try to click M1. That was when I realized I had a problem...

kingyanno

May 18, 2012
I have logged several hundred hours in TF2, and have been playing minecraft on and off since around late alpha. I used to play of TON of sonic games on my Dreamcast, back before the Dreamcast became the Dreamcast out.

Burrito With Legs

Jan 27, 2012
Karutomaru said:
hazabaza1 said:
Karutomaru said:
I beat Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop 12 times! 12 times!!!!!!
So that was 12 zombies that you killed as well, then?
I killed at least 3000 at the minimum on each playthrough.
I win! My friend and I spent quite a while playing that game and racked up 10,000+ on the first playthrough, if I remember correctly.

Also, there are a lot of games that I've played the crap out of; however, that depends what the standards are at. If you meant like 100+ hours, then there are a ton of games I've played the crap out of. Banjo Tooie still remains my most-played game of all-time with close to 1,000 hours on it.

Some more recent games that I've been addicted to include (bottom is most recent addictions):
Yohoho! Puzzle Pirates
Ragnarok Online
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Rock Band & Rock Band 2
Mario Kart Wii
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Team Fortress 2
Terraria
StarCraft II
Battlefield 3
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
League of Legends
Diablo III

GenericAmerican

Dec 27, 2009
I played Exterminatus in Space Marine to death. Earning every level from 13 to 41 from it.

I've beaten all 3 maps, which is a feat according to achievement stats. 0.5% have the chaos unleashed map beaten. (or something like that)

I've beat it with FF, no armor. No perks. bolters only. Melee only. No deaths. About all you can imagine.

ERS86

Sep 13, 2010
The MOBA games in general (DotA, HoN, LoL) as I have definitely dedicated more of my time to those games than any other. If I have to pick just one of those, it'd be DotA 1 for WC3. Even after two years of HoN, I've still played DotA longer.

If those don't count because they're divided in to matches, then I would say SW: KotOR. I'm not big on going back and beating a game a second time usually. I guess I just lose my drive and desire to beat it after once, but those two games had me coming back again and again, at around 50 hours a play through.

Games of Note:
Dragon Age: Origins - did all the intros just to see what they were like, but my main game lasted for around 70 hours
Skyrim - about 100 hours
Baldur's Gate - 50 hours or so
Mass Effect (as a series)- each game at around 30 hours
Red Alert 2 - 40 hours probably
Diablo 3 - already has about 14 hours in it

LegoDudeGuy

Young punks, get off my lawn.
Jun 9, 2010
I played TF2 for a entire year straight, clocking in over 1550 hours since Sept. 2010 (when I got it as a birthday present).

My 2nd most played would have to be Super Monday Night Combat (SMNC)

The spiritual successor to MNC, think MNC having a baby with DoTa with TF2 being it's brother.

It is awesome! Like, seriously:

IT HAS DANCING SUPER HEROES [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m45IOTCdQgA&feature=BFa&list=FLEhkdn4ho0iIxR_49sxUq9w] AND DANCING ROBOTS [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFPHWYNg_DM]

SuaveSalarian

May 6, 2012
What is the kid in you're avatar saying? I'm not to good at reading lips.

Some games I played to death would be COD4 and Skyrim.

Shaved Apple

May 17, 2012
I played Runescape way too much. 99s, quest cape, millionaire. I think It's a little over 5 years old now but i had an account before this one. Finally started finding better things to do. It was such a waste of time.

DeathSwitch109

Jun 8, 2011
ME 1, 2 & 3
World of WarCraft Vanilla - Cataclysm
Left 4 Dead 2
Super Mario 64
Ocarina of Time
A Link to the Past
Super Mario World
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Smash Bros.
Super Smash Bros. Melee
ES IV: Oblivion
ES V: Skyrim
Killzone 2
Resident Evil
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Grand Theft Auto Vice City
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
Fallout 3
Halo 2
Pokemon Silver Version
Doom II
Quake II
Quake III Arena
Duke Nukem 3D
Mario Kart 64
Mario Kart Double Dash
Fable

Nelires

Mar 9, 2011
I've played Spyro 1, 2, and 3 to death. Beaten each 100% at least 3 times and I still replay them. Also Legend of Mana. It's new game plus is so seamless it's hard to not just keep playing when it restarts. X3

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Left 4dead 2= 320 hours
Team Fortress 2 = 325 hours

Im not entirely sure how I ended up spending that many hours in left 4 dead but with 14 campaign maps (including l4d1 maps) and about 45 minutes each that's 10 hours just to play through all the content. The thing is that turns to 300 hours from the variation, th AI director does such a good job of varying the game each time, you never really know what is going to be behind the next corner and the even greater wild factor is what king of human allies you'll have from pros to utter noobs. Then there was Versus Mode, that easily added another 100 hours for mixing things up further with any metric combat against an opponent you can fathom.

But I'm pretty much done with left 4 dead now, it's really just gotten to predictable but I've learned a lot about how to make a compelling game even when killing mainly AI opponents:
-have procedurally generated enemy placement, if you remember where they were just once then it loses all the excitement of trying to figure out where the enemy will come from
-allow full freedom in mission select and each mission about an hour long split into 10 minute sections with a mini climax for each then a big climax at the end of them all. Each mission is self contained and though in a particular order can be played out of order and still work.
-include a strategic element to combat, not just one guy standing and shooting but fields of fire and kiting bigger enemies
-include temporary power ups randomly placed. The laser sight functioned this way, making almost every weapon much more powerful but you could never depend on it.

I also really liked Left 4 dead 2's controls, the right click melee I love so much, it's an instant fus-ro-da that is great for close combat, stunning and pushing back. I'd love if call of duty adopted such a mechanic, replace the knife melee with a whack from the weapon stock to stun them like a stun grenade, then knife em or shoot them or keep smashing till they're kaput. Knife lunge is BS, but a BROAD swing of a club. Also great, swinging melee doesn't reset the reload of a weapon! I can't emphasise enough how such a subtle feature de-bullshits the flow of the game, and it makes sense; if reloading a weapon is. Series of steps then interruption shouldn't reset, if you remove the empty magazine then interrupt to punch then you shouldn't have to remove the mag AGAIN! So many games get this wrong, even TF2.

Right now I just want more games to be like left 4dead2 but what has really done it for me are the zombie opponents, even the fast runners are not enough of. Challenge ny more, they are just too predictable to run at you and claw at you. I do like the idea of hoards of unreasoning killers that are relatively weak and you have to mow them down in droves, but zombies have outlived their use.

Give me cyborgs, or vampires or something that might have more pack intelligence, some that are more likely to use the most primitive ranged weapons with setting ambushes and retreating. like the gandos in resident evil 4 but faster.

Right now I'm getting back into tf2, it has changed so much with all the many tweaks and maps, and I'm really getting into some of my less played classes like demoman and spy or just some of the weirder weapons of my familiar classes like the shortstop and FaN. I still am mastering rocket jumping and air blasting rockets, in a way I haven't "completed" TF2 yet, not to mention there are still new maps I haven't played yet with every class.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
48 hours= Red Dead Redemption 100%

And once you 100% this game it is totally played out. The ending was a frustrating anti-climax in every sense, including the new barely sufferable protagonist.

Still, it was fun getting there but a massive contradiction that I loved being a free cowboy in the open west away from my family, and freaking hated going to the farm life. That was were the game broke, the protagonist got what he as a character would want but it was totally at odds with what the player wanted. Marston should have stayed as a bounty hunter, like Landon Ricketts, maybe set up a family bounty hunting business with father and son working together to tame the wild west.

A game I enjoyed 100% ing much more was the Tomb Raider game, the more recent Legends and Anniversary. Particularly how they rewarded fast level completion with new outfits. That was great, it was a real challenge but not insurmountable all-or-nothing affairs like completing Resident Evil games in less than 2 hours or something that can with a few screw ups ruin hours of work. But with levels that can in theory be completed in about 10 minutes you'd never lose too much from needing to reset.

This also lead to a great new approach to every level with their climbing puzzles. At first the challenge was to take your time and figure out how to get somewhere, but once you know HOW to do it the next challenge is how to do it as quickly as possible. For some reason I didn't go back to do this with Portal or Portal 2. I don't know what makes the difference I think it might have been the lack of ny tangible award, you get nothing but a new number, but in Tomb Raider you got cool new outfits and cheats!

That's what I don't like about the rise of achievements, too many developers use them as a substitute for more appreciable game rewards like new content and gameplay. Instead extra content is sold as DLC and the best accomplishments you get nothing but a zero-effort text message telling me I did what I already know I did.

Fuck achievements. Fuck DLC. Give me proper rewards for gameplay accomplishments.

AHH there was a game I played to death for an aspect without number appreciation: Hitman Blood Money

The game said you could kill some characters and make it look like accidents though the news report would always say they were murders I loved the idea they could all have "unfortunate accidents" and no one would ever know agent 47 was there. I could just imagine a conspiracy theorist piecing it all together, all these people having fatal accidents, just when they were an inconvenience to someone, and always thi strange bald man would be present.

I almost broke the game trying to get a staged accidental death on every target, my favourite tactic was shoving people off precipices. I got really bloody good at shoving people over ledges. Either that or I'd break their neck then carry and dump them over and edge if they cannot be shoved. God, if my ps2 tracked hours played of games I know blood money would easily have taken 100 hours.