Games you just...stopped playing

sammysoso

Jul 6, 2012
Bethesda games basically.

I really enjoyed my time with Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Skyrim. But I never even came close to finishing the main questlines, and usually around 30-40 hours in I stop putting the disc in the console. There they sit on my shelf, but I never think of them.

Also applies to Borderlands games.

Scarecrow1001

Jun 27, 2011
Like a few other people, Dishonored, I just tried to get through it without killing anyone. Then, I tranqued a guy, he fell through a window and died. Apparently that counts as a kill!

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
GodzillaGuy92 said:
Having only played BioShock for the first time less than two months ago (which I enjoyed immensely), my advice is to disable the Vita-Chambers in the options menu (and perhaps start a new game on a lower difficulty level, if you're running out of ammo).
Nouw said:
Spamming grenades works well against them. If you tend to use grenades at any other time, don't. There's also an option to turn vita-chambers off.
Thanks for the heads-up guys, I'll give these a shot the next time I give it a try (gotta finish Dead Space 2 first). I have a feeling that disabling the Vita-chambers could do wonders for the atmosphere of the game.

I'll also drop Oblivion and Skyrim here. Can't get invested in the world, all the NPCs stare through the uncanny valley into my soul, and I have no motivation to continue with either of those games. Daggerfall was fucking epic back in the day (but probably not so much these days, though it is HUUUGE), and Morrowind was decent, I beat it. Change of director, targeted audience...I dunno.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Wind Waker.

After the 3rd or 4th dungeon I just sort of stopped, for a total of 3 years.

Got back into it and wow does it get amazing much later :/ Seriously 3 years...

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Heaps. Many of which I feel quite ashamed of.

Skyrim: I get bored of sandboxy type things after a while.
Far Cry 3: See above.
Limbo: Couldn't get past the part where the place was filling with water and you had to move the boxes.
Amnesia Dark Descent: Had no idea what to do during the cistern section of the game. There were no scares and it was very unintuitive.
Braid: Got bored. Am also stupid and can't solve puzzles.
World of Goo: See above.
The Witcher 2: Played for about 5 minutes, realised it ran like a dog on my computer and had a poorly designed interface.

Of the above, most of these I got for cheap well after they came out, hence why I was so non-plussed about give up. I traded back the Witcher 2, but I still have the others and may one day finish them. I also tried to play a few Good Old Games that are regarded as classics like Thief 1 & 2, Beneath a Steel Sky and Fallout and couldn't stand any of them either.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
First Disgaea. I've recently managed to configure PS2 emulator and my friend advised Disgaea as being one of the very based turn based RPGs. And I loved it, but I've stopped playing once I realized that I'll have to put more than 100 hours into it, I just couldn't bother. Maybe later I'll try again.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
The first Deus Ex. I've started it so many times and never finished it. I just move on to something else and forget to look back

Dec 10, 2012
Heavy Rain. Which is weird. I really liked it, but I could never play for more than an hour or so before I just...didn't want to play anymore. And then a new game came along, I can't remember at all what it was, and I haven't come back to Heavy Rain since. That was months ago and now I worry I will have to start over since I may have forgotten something important, and I don't want to do the first half of the game again.

Mrkillhappy

Sep 18, 2012
All the Bethesda games due to their length, L.A. Noire because I get distracted with new releases, Assassins Creed 1, and Deus Ex Human Revolution.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
DrunkOnEstus said:
Thanks for the heads-up guys, I'll give these a shot the next time I give it a try (gotta finish Dead Space 2 first). I have a feeling that disabling the Vita-chambers could do wonders for the atmosphere of the game.
It definitely does, although be aware that the Big Daddy fights may become a curb-stomp when you get more plasmids and have an abundance of grenades. It's an instance where I found myself penalizing myself to make the game more enjoyable.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Two games come to mind.

Monster Hunter Tri. I love the game, but at some point I just quit playing. I still want to play it, I haven't fought all the monsters, but for some reason I find myself unable to pick it up again.

Baten Kaitos. This one is really weird. I was almost finished, probably less than an hour away form the final boss, then I just quit. Why is an excellent question.

Ryan Minns

Mar 29, 2011
Lost Odyssey and I don't know why. I simply got to a point and... never turned it on again. It's not like I was bored or anything, I was actually enjoying it but somehow I just never got the urge to play more

Obviously there has been more but just getting bored isn't much new especially since I've played games that bore me silly all the way to the end like Gears 1 and 2

Pulse

Nov 16, 2012
I stopped a lot of games, but most of them with a chance of getting back to them once I get off my hands the ones that interest me the most.

the only one I never looked back was Call of Juarez: The Cartel, it was really really really boring, which is a shame, because I enjoyed those that came before...

XtremeMuffin

Dec 16, 2009
Twilight Princess. I'm in the 8th dungeon but I just stopped playing for some reason like 5 years ago. Now, if I wanna go back, my choices are: Start near the end of the game with no memory or start the whole game over again. So motivation is non-existent. Wasn't a bad game. I just stopped.

Xdeser2

Aug 11, 2012
Dead Space 1 and Morrowind

To Dead Space's credit, its not a bad game whatsoever, but I just...well, stopped playing it. :/

Morrowind, I understand why people like it, I really do, but I just find myself.....Not caring. Theres no direction whatsoever, and the major guilds/factions are all pretty much: Do this fetch quest, now kill these three people, delve into a dungeon Etc. At least Oblivion's Guilds and Factions had a story to them, and FAR better quests...

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Darksiders 2. It just hasn't grabbed me very much. I think its the collectables I get obsessed with them and there are a lot.

YCRanger

Jul 31, 2011
FF XII. It just wasn't fun.

Any MMO ever. I never have real life friends to play with online and I'm too lazy to make online friends.

Dragon Age Origins. I got about 40 hrs through when I just put it down. This was March of last year. However I did pick it up and finally finished it a couple of weeks ago. It only took me about a year. Then I was quite distraught to find that the expansion shit all over my ending. And I loved my ending.

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
Skyrim... I put off beating the main quest because I knew once I did, I would lose all interest. So guess what happened? I lost all interest.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Two in particular come to mind

Skyrim: At first I just had a warrior, but I started losing interest in him around lvl. 30. I then made a Mage after putting in about 66 hrs into the Mage I accidentally override all of my Mage files when playing as my warrior. Needless to say I was EXTREMELY pissed when this happened and I just have not gotten into the mood to play Skyrim since then. I really hope that in the next TES game they create different save profiles for each character like in Dragon Age or Mass Effect.

Fallout New Vegas: At the moment I have 92 hrs invested into my first and only play through, and I haven't even completed the main quest line or any of the DLC. I don't remember why but for some reason I just lost interest at some point and never returned to the game.