Games you like but are ashamed to admit you like?

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
So I am bored, and I like hearing about new games. Preferably in a positive aspect. So! Any games you are ashamed to admit you like? Maybe because it is a traditionally bad game, or it is not your usual style, whatever!

If you are like our lord and savior Jim (Thank God for him!), and have no shame, go for what would've given you pause if you did.

Me? I can without a doubt say that Fable 2 is one of my, if not the, favourite game ever. It has a great world. It is pretty as hell. Music. Gameplay. Voice acting. Story. Absolutely everything hits the exact spot for me.

I shall grant that it is a bit schizophrenic sometimes, and even if I will defend the way Lucies dies with tooth and nail - It is a powerful scene - a last boss would have been nice. Other than the floating traingle of doom that is.

Yeah, Fable 2, is one of the best games ever made. In my subjective(Phew, saved.) opinion.

That is my opinion, and I will fight you over it. Fable 2 is awesome.

So what games do you like, but don't like admiting to liking?

ihavetwo

Mar 19, 2014
Final Fantasy X-2 is my favorite game ever.
I can't really explain why I like it but I still think it is an amazing game that everybody overlooks.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I'm not ashamed to admit it, but I like a lot of games that are usually panned. Silent Hill: Origins, for instance. Yes, it has a very dumb story about a guy who has every reason to leave and none to stay in Silent Hill, as well as some tacked on tragic backstory that takes turns in the spotlight with Alessa's own tragic backstory and the game never really gives full importance to either. It also features a very cheap Pyramid Head knock-off - in fact, most enemies are knock-offs of earlier SH enemies.

And yet I really like the game. I like the return to an unlimited inventory system, I like the use of household items as weapons (toasters, hammers, lamps, TV sets, anything remotely blunt) and how most items have a limited number of uses. I think it gives combat approach a more strategic vibe, since you don't just switch between your most powerful melee weapon and a gun, but rather have to choose what weapon to "spend" on each enemy and carefully balance your stock of weak, strong, short-range, long-range, throwable and one-shot weaponry. That's how I played anyway.

I also like the level design a lot. Alchemilla and Nowhere are already staples of the series, but I loved Cedar Grove Sanitarium, the theater (forget the name) and Riverside Motel. I even liked the little QTEs that let you downsize the damage you take while fighting - you don't have to master them, but they're there to help if you do. And the music was still Yamaoka's and very much in touch with the series' atmosphere. So while it's not my favorite Silent Hill game, I enjoyed it a lot.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
ihavetwo said:
I can't really explain why I like it but I still think it is an amazing game that everybody overlooks.
Is that the one that starts with a concert out of nowhere? If so, I enjoyed that one, though I don't remember much I must confess. I should go see if someone has it used and replay it.

Is that the one with the weird dress system standing in for classes? Like, you change into a different dress and suddenly you know how to wield claymores.

ihavetwo

Mar 19, 2014
Roofstone said:
ihavetwo said:
Is that the one that starts with a concert out of nowhere? If so, I enjoyed that one, though I don't remember much I must confess. I should go see if someone has it used and replay it.

Is that the one with the weird dress system standing in for classes? Like, you change into a different dress and suddenly you know how to wield claymores.
Yeah, it's that one, the story is kinda all over the place but the gameplay is so smooth I couldn't care less.
A remaster came out recently so you could get that.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Andy Shandy said:
I did not entirely hate some parts of Sonic '06.

That's the best I can do.
I'll second this. Some parts I did not entirely hate. Playing Blaze The Cat sometimes bordered on being kinda like a game that could perhaps aspire to be enjoyable.. Her control scheme was fun.

>_>

<_<

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
I played the shit out of Mini Ninjas and loved it. I'm not really embarrassed, but it is a kids game.

I guess my enthusiastic belting out of Lady Gaga songs in Rock Band might count, since I'm a dyed-in-the-wool metalhead.

dlharp2

Sep 8, 2010
How about this Roofstone?

The games not played because of a "Critical" review or misrepresentation in the press...oh wait, that is negative, sorry.

It's always bad news when you talk about a game you can't finish or complete. FTL for me. As much as I talk about the genius game mechanics and overall design, people tend to remind me of the shame that I didn't complete it. It tempts me to write a book on the adventure of the crew only to fail in their mission (in dramatic fashion) then sell the book. Then again, I'll play one more game of ftl. hahaha

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I'm ashamed of liking Silent Hill 3... more than Silent Hill 2.

This is just for one reason: Convincing people that it's possible to like anything other than Silent Hill 2 is like trying to convince a religous fanatic to not act on their faith. There is simply no saying "I liked the story and the gameplay is better" without a million responses telling me how the character arcs are amazing and the story is fantastic in SH2. I KNOW! I played the damn game and I loved it, Angela is my favourite character in video games (and possibly in fiction) and I loved how even though I knew what the plot twist was I was still amazed by how it was handled.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I suppose the DMC reboot. I really didn't like DMC3 much, I don't see what the hype was all about. The combat was ok but it all boiled down to smashing the one attack button repeatedly. Sure you could get different timings for what, three separate combos? Once you figure out that the jump has ludicrous invincibility frames you can practically win any encounter by hammering the downward jump attack. The enemy design was generic as hell, the game world is a mess of lock and key "puzzles" and backtracking and frankly Vergil carried the entire game by himself by being the only interesting element in the plot, if not the only good thing in the whole game entirely.

Best combat system ever 10/10 apparently.

The reboot was fresh and had a really interesting new artstyle as well as a good combat system, if exploitable at times. Yes, Dante is a complete dick to start with but people need to realise he cooled down and became a decent kind of guy by the start of mission 3. He actually has a character arc.

Also I suppose I should mention BlazBlue here kind of. Saying I like BlazBlue means I have to be put in the same room as ArcSys'... *unique* character designs. You know I love you Mu-12 but we need to talk about these outfits you're going out in.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
seeing as many aspects of my life other than gaming are weird such as I own a pair of necomimi and wear them in public I can say I am not embarssed about any of the weird games I play

CWestfall

Apr 16, 2009
I still play "life" games (Animal Crossing, Sims, etc.) when I have a lot of hours to kill and no energy to do anything even slightly productive with them.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I have zero shame about my gaming tastes whatsoever. The only thing I could possibly mention is me really liking The Sims series but I proudly tell anyone that if I'm asked, so yeah.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Not ashamed to admit I like stuff, was telling my friend I hadn't yet gotten round to playing Atelier Ayesha today (from a series I like). I suppose the most "out there" thing is I actually quite liked FF13+2 (not yet played lightening returns).

Liquidprid3

Jan 24, 2014
It's more of a guilty pleasure, but Shadow the Hedgehog. Haha it's hilariously great. But uh.....Sonic Unleashed....please don't kill me. I remember actually not hating the Werehog stages when I played them. I should try doing some of those stages nowadays. I haven't played it in a few years, but it still looked kinda fun. I mean, it's not as good as the Sonic stages, but I didn't hate them.

In fact, kinda embarrassing to like Sonic in general. 100% of the reason is the fanbase. Please, kill me. I like Sonic, but no way in hell am one of those fans.

Nothing else that I'm really ashamed of. You can dislike the games I like, but if you insult because I like a certain game, then fuck you. As someone still in school, I get shit all the time for liking some Nintendo games, or whatever. You can't tell me what I can and can't like.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
It's a bit harder to find one of those, these days, now that I've gotten a bit more secure with myself. I know people would definitely tell me to be ashamed of myself for liking Project Diva F, Devil May Cry 2, or the entire Arcana Heart series, but screw those people.

I am mildly ashamed that I liked a good part of Little My Maid, perhaps. And The Sagara Family. The merest glance will reveal why. >_>

The Wykydtron said:
Best combat system ever 10/10 apparently.
yeah. The only way 3's combat could have been improved is if they'd implemented the ability to switch between styles on the fly, like in DMC4. I just got DmC recently, and I'm enjoying the combat quite a bit, but it's still not as good as DMC3 or 4. It's got more variety than 1 or 2, but not as much as the others (though you can still access more abilities at one time than DMC3), and I'm really wondering why they removed the enemy lock-on button but saw fit to give two dodge buttons...unless that's revealed later.

Any other complaint I have with its combat can pretty much be summed up as "I'm still deprogramming my Bayonetta muscle memory."

Liquidprid3 said:
In fact, kinda embarrassing to like Sonic in general. 100% of the reason is the fanbase. Please, kill me. I like Sonic, but no way in hell am one of those fans.

Nothing else that I'm really ashamed of. You can dislike the games I like, but if you insult because I like a certain game, then fuck you. As someone still in school, I get shit all the time for liking some Nintendo games, or whatever. You can't tell me what I can and can't like.
Speaking as someone who didn't play anything after Sonic 3D Blast until Sonic Heroes, and thus enjoys the latter, hear hear.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Dunno how ashamed I have to be to say I like it, but I really enjoyed Speed Racer for the PS2. Has a lot of fun tracks, the combat is satisfying, the music is decently good (Thunderhead's theme, my god...~ Seriously my fave song to race to in ANY racing game), and it's overall a quite decent racing game itself, ESPECIALLY for a movie licensed title. It's one of the first I'd actually rate 7 or above.