Games you like but no one else seems to know about/like/understand

Wolfenbarg

Terrible Person
Oct 18, 2010
Planescape: Torment. I frequently mention it when I talk about how games are such a powerful storytelling medium and are capable of giving people introspective moments just like films, and sometimes even stronger. The internet has a undercurrent of love for the game just because of how many gamers were brought in during the Infinity Engine days, but I've never met another person in real life that has ever even heard of it.

Yoder13

Dec 6, 2010
Definitely Legend of Dragoon. I have yet to meet someone locally who has even heard of it. The few friends who were willing to try it complained about the graphics and said that it hurt their eyes.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Rednog said:
Very few people I know, know of or enjoyed the Jet Set Radio series.
Oh, always meant to hunt that down.

I'm the only one to admit to playing Blade Kitten, aren't I?

Geo88

Nerdy Wordsmith
Jul 20, 2010
VaderMan92 said:
Advent rising, I loved that game. It had a few bugs but nothing game breaking plus what a story. Orson Scott card wrote the story and they never finished the series because the game bombed because they tried to make an epic block buster on the first try. The game was good it was just a little rough around the edges I hope they finish the series or at least tell us what was supposed to happen.
I actually liked that game. It needed a bit more bug testing, and it wasn't exactly the most memorable game I've ever played, but I think it was as good as some of the other crap that gets shoveled out each year to rave reviews.

Hmmm... I don't know if this counts, but I thought KotOR II was pretty damn good when looking at it on its own. I mean, comparing it to KotOR I, it didn't hold up, but considering it got pushed out in a year, I thought the story was solid. The only real gripe I had with it was the unclear ending.

voetballeeuw

May 3, 2010
Cirus Maximus. Not sure if it's well known, but I enjoyed the hell out of it. C'mon it's chariot racing with combat.

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
War of the Monsters. I have yet to find one person aside from my brother who has played it.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
VaderMan92 said:
Advent rising, I loved that game. It had a few bugs but nothing game breaking plus what a story. Orson Scott card wrote the story and they never finished the series because the game bombed because they tried to make an epic block buster on the first try. The game was good it was just a little rough around the edges I hope they finish the series or at least tell us what was supposed to happen.
You know, I was really curious about that game, but I decided not to get it after being almost universally panned by the major review sites (I've learned since then that their opinions do not always agree with my personal preferences). I still wonder from time to time if I made the right decision.

Anyway, I have yet to meet anyone in person who has ever played Urban Chaos: Riot Response. That game was loads of fun. Sure the story was a joke, but the gameplay was solid with lots of optional challenges and unlockables that extended the replay factor. The riot shield was your most useful tool, doubling as portable cover and as a blunt weapon. Bashing a meat cleaver-wielding psycho to death with it was so damn satisfying.

Quietknight360

Aug 28, 2010
Radeonx said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Radeonx said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Does anyone recall the following PS1 games?

Brave Fencer Musashi
Grandia
Wild ARMs 1 + 2
Legend of Mana
SaGa Frontier 1 + 2

Because I love each and every one of those games.
Brave Fencer Musashi and Wild Arms are the ones I have played, and they are awesome.
But who hasn't heard of Legend of Mana? Its amazing! Is it really that under the radar?

OT: NBA Jam. No one knows of it, but it is one of the most enjoyable sports games ever.
BOOMSHAKALAKALAKA!

Also, I highly recommend you check out the other games. Especially Grandia. One of the greatest combat engines in JRPG history. Possibly THE greatest.

And Legend of Mana is my second favorite game of all time. And is 100% unlikely to change. Except to climb to #1, possibly.
I've heard a little bit about Grandia, and I might check it out based on that recommendation.
And yes, Legend of Mana is easily in my top 5 RPGs. So good.
Grandia is probably my favorite jrpg of all time. You dont see too many lighthearted jrpgs. Didnt quite like the 2nd one as much though...

shreedder

May 19, 2009
I am the only one out of my many friends who really liked Bioshock. Everyone who I've talked to tought it was way to messed up, and dind't like how creepy it was. I loved it.

Saargston

Feb 17, 2010
Clockwork Knight 1/2. Those were probably the two best Sega Saturn platformers around, but no one I know has ever played them.
No one I know has played Dragon Force, either and very few know Armored Core.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Tomba! aka Tombi!

It's a game so rarely brought up that I forgot it's name for a long time, even though I remembered it and quite a few of the awesome things about it. I just had to describe it to people for ages and no one had heard of it. Turns out it was one of those games that was a critical darling but a financial failure.

Also, Chicken Run, the game based on the movie. It had limitations, like other licensed games, but there's just something so rewarding about playing the chicken version of Hogan's Heroes.

captnb2thep

Dec 30, 2010
Saargston said:
Clockwork Knight 1/2. Those were probably the two best Sega Saturn platformers around, but no one I know has ever played them.
No one I know has played Dragon Force, either and very few know Armored Core.
OH MAN! I USED TO LOOOOVE CLOCKWORK KNIGHT! And the opening cinematic was awesome. I also really liked True Crime Streets of LA, it was an interesting alternative to GTA that had its place in the gaming spectrum in my opinion.

jbonkerz

Oct 24, 2008
Okage: Shadow King (PS2), Jade Cocoon (PSX), Jade Cocoon 2 (PS2), Legend of Legaia, and Azure Dreams.

Shinigami Fire

Oct 5, 2010
Yoder13 said:
Definitely Legend of Dragoon. I have yet to meet someone locally who has even heard of it. The few friends who were willing to try it complained about the graphics and said that it hurt their eyes.
This. Great combat, awesome freaking story, all-around amazing.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
The Scythian said:
Alpha Protocol.
I only found that game to be fun when I played it as a stealth character, and then you have hair-pullingly-annoying boss fights to deal with. I still like that game, though.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Metal Arms: Glitch in the System

Damnit I wish they could make a sequel so people I talk about it with can know the joy.