games you like but you can?t play very well.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
I am terrible at Rhythm Heaven games, despite really liking them. It takes me so very long to get past even one stage. I would also like to be good at RTS games, but I'm rubbish at them - I'm rubbish at most games that require any sort of memorization or which require me to "keep up" with new strategies.

FrozenCones

Dec 31, 2009
RPGs, Moreso - skill point distribution. I understand the basic principles that +Strength makes your melee more efficient or that +Agility increases your chance to dodge an attack but when you start getting into more detailed stats my brain just switches off.

The games that comes to mind are Fallout 3, KotOR and Skyrim. I would literally spend more time looking at the skills and abilities than I would playing the game. It kills the immersion for me and I eventually give up playing. Its a shame because I want to enjoy these games so badly but levelling up feels more like a headfuck than a rewarding progression.

nyankaty

Nov 4, 2013
I'm having trouble with GTA5. -blushes- I had no trouble with any of the others and I poured many an hour into GTA:VC but the driving on GTA5 feels so different and it's so hard to outrun cops in this one, so I'm having a hard time doing my usual routine of mugging strangers. Plus gangs don't seem to like when I punch their members and run away.

So yeah, I'm having a tough time there.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Stealth games for me as well. I love the idea of them and doing a no kill, no alert run can be tons of fun.
However, I got little to no patience at all.It quickly becomes a huge mess of trial and error rather than carefully planning what to do.

Same goes for any game with complex combo mechanics. Can't be arsed to memorise and practise that!

Edit: Also adding Minecraft to this. Played for over two years, and I fucking love the game, but I simply lack the imagination to build things for myself. These days I'm pretty much only taking bits and pieces of what other people built and shared through Youtube and put them together into my own city.
However, it does bring some imagination to me. Just now finished a huge dwarven castle(well, more like tower) to my dwarven town. Had a still picture of the front of someone elses building, changed the placement and proportions a bit and built it in 3D. Became quite awesome, especially considering that I kept rebuilding it without taking anything away.

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
RTS
While I am okay at strategy games, I tend to need time to think my moves through. I'm not good at thinking on the fly.

Rogue-Likes
Than again, I think that's part of the appeal.

Adventurer2626

Jan 21, 2010
I like the idea of rogue-likes but not so good in practice. Anything that requires me to compete against a human being will be my bane. Particularly FPS's. They will have all the strategies and maps memorized before I pick up a controller and will always have quicker reflexes/better eye squinting. I've fallen into this awful middle state where I'm unfairly good against novices and noobs and I drag down/get gunned down by pros. I either have to shoot myself in the foot or irritate my betters. So usually I look for games that are heavy on strat, low speed (campaign RTS) or completely at my leisure (RPGs). I abuse saves like nobody's business.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Stealth games sound about right. I love Hitman and I love beating a level with as little killing as possible. I just don't have the patience for it. I'm also never sure just how intelligent the AI is. Can that guy see me from here? Can he hear me? Sometimes, sometimes not. It can get frustrating.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Probably fighting games. I enjoy them but I've never been all that good at them, especially Street Fighter and the like. I'm a little better at Tekken, but not by a huge amount.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Shoot-Em=Ups (Contra, Nanostray 2, Gradius, etc)

&

Beat-Em-Ups (Battletoads+Double Dragon, River City Ransom, Hotline Miami, etc)

recurve6

Jan 8, 2011
Metal Gear Rising to the max. That game is so incredible in every way, but I'm just not very good at the combat, though I did beat normal mode with an overall B (success!). I may have been prematurely emasculated by ChipCheezum's LP of it though, since he S ranks the entire game on hard mode. It IS a wonderful experience, though, and I highly recommend it to any- and everyone.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Multiplayer for Command and Conquer, Warcraft, and Starcraft series. I'm good enough at the single player campaigns, but I can't for the life of me win in multiplayer.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Battlefield 3 for sure. For some reason I've never been able to get particularly good at FPS multiplayer games and that usually puts me off them (that and the type of people games like CoD can often attract) but BF3 was actually too good for me to get sick of running out and getting shot repeatedly. I've sunk so many hours in that I've actually gotten a bit better but I'm still usually a bottom half of the leaderboard kind of player.

Johnny Novgorod said:
Stealth games sound about right. I love Hitman and I love beating a level with as little killing as possible. I just don't have the patience for it. I'm also never sure just how intelligent the AI is. Can that guy see me from here? Can he hear me? Sometimes, sometimes not. It can get frustrating.
If you're playing Absolution that's a very common complaint. For some reason guards can tell when you're an imposter from basically any distance on the map, regardless of how much of your face is covered up by your disguise. Of course if you're playing Blood Money then that's all you although I do occasionally lose patience waiting for event X to happen and up going all postal worker on the entire map.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I'm kind of glad to see so many other people mentioning RTS games. You can add me to the list. I love the concept and there are certain RTS games that I really enjoy (Red Alert 2, Dawn of War), but damn I suck at them.

I usually find myself getting too preoccupied on one facet of gameplay and neglect the others that are essential to victory. For example, I was absolutely terrible at Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds back in the day because I spent too much time and resources on upgrades while failing to prepare for the initial enemy rush. Three pimped out Stormtroopers aren't going to last long against fifteen Wookiee tanks.

I pretty much have to limit myself to playing against Normal (or even Easy) AI opponents in most RTS games if I want to have a reasonable chance of winning.

ImmortalDrifter

Jan 6, 2011
Reaper195 said:
XCOM: Enemy Unknown. I enjoy the shit out of that game. But Christ, ahve I rage quit that games so damn often. The moment I lose a good character, or keep getting destroyed by aliens, I flip my shit and don't play it for months on end.
I'm in the same boat. Moreso since I can't play on anything but Ironman. I feel if I don't the game is secretly laughing at me...

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Any genre that I don't play enough. RTS and fighting games come to mind. I just don't have the time in all the gaming to learn the nuances that make one successful.

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
I'm not sure if it's the right thing but maybe Crusader Kings 2 is like this for me? I'm always trying to pull of some elaborate plot that ends up not working or going to war with someone who I think is a pushover who then curbstomps me.

Even as I write this I'm thinking "Ohhhh GOOOOOD, I hate Crusader Kings 2! I'm not playing it again ever and I'm a grownup now so nobody can make me" but whenever I load it up I'n enraptured till the small hours of the morning.

BoredAussieGamer

Aug 7, 2011
A lot of online shooters. I'm usually hit and miss with how I go in any given match or game mode. Also XCOM: Enemy unknown and most RPG's.

Two non video game examples:

Basketball, and Pool. I'm not tall, and I've been told I'm too strong for pool (because I also suck at controling my strikes).

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Fighting games. I love BlazBlue for its characters and art design, but I have to play it on lower difficulties with aids. God forbid I head online with it...