Games you like starting, but hate finishing

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
Xenogears. I really enjoy the first disc but once I reach the second disc, I just can't bring myself to play through it. The characters sitting in chairs, talking about what happens...

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
The first part of Bioshock I find to be this.I love the opening and the Medical level but the fishery and research camera bit after that just kill it. The doctor guy is just a really interesting character.

"This one, too fat! This one, too thin! This one, TOO SYMMETRICAL!"

Mykal Stype

Dec 24, 2012
Any RPG with a reasonable difficulty progression which suddenly ends on the final boss having massive Godlike powers. I can't finish SMT: Strange Journey because I've been going through the game with all of the main enemies giving me a slight challenge and the bosses only needing a bit of working up to beat. But then I got to the final boss. She hits my entire party with an elemental spell, then immediately hits with a physical attack that hits everyone (she's also the only boss I can remember that goes twice in one turn). That left everyone dead and me with maybe 10 health, and I hadn't even attacked once through the entire match. She killed me in two turns. I haven't played since.

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
Dark Souls. The first half of the game I find absolutely perfect: the mystery, the punishing but rewarding difficulty, the character customization. But around Sen's Fortress everything switches from being difficult to being cheap (I recognize that may be an unpopular opinion).

Also, pretty much any game with a lot of character customization (like Skyrim) I will start a million times and never finish.

Also, don't think I've ever finished Skate 2 even though I've probably logged 50 hours in it...actually, can you finish that game? I don't know anything...I just like the Mega Ramp

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
Rome Total War. At the beginning things are usually quite intense. It's interesting to see who become the major powers, who takes over where. Sometimes there some surprises, like in my last game with Dacia becoming a major power house, then being taken over by Scythia who were in turn taken by Thrace.

But by the end of the long campaigns the game just becomes a mop up job. There's little to no challenge and things just becomes annoying instead of fun and interesting.

yamy

Slayer of Hot Dogs
Aug 2, 2010
I have never finished the main quest of any Bethesda open-world game (Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim). I've got hundreds of hours in each of them and multiple characters, but I could never bring myself to do the main quest. For me, the main quest is the final thing to do as a conclusion after I've done everything. I'm sure you can see the problem already...

For Skyrim for example I have 3 different characters; none of them made it to the Greybeards
For Oblivion I also have 3 characters; the furthest I've gone was collecting the deadric artifacts.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Shadow of the Colossus is wonderful when you first start, but the last 2 colossi are an absolute pain in the ass. I don't believe timing is really that fun.

Starfox Adventure does a great job making you feel like you're going on a big adventure, but unfortunately there is one puzzle near the end that is frustratingly hard, and the last 'parts' are unfortunately lackluster compared to the rest of the game.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Bioshock.

It places you in a pretty cool environment from the beginning. But after the turning point, there really isn't much left to go on.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Well...I wouldn't say I hate finishing it, but I have 20 characters on Dark Souls and have deleted 7 in the past. Generally, once I get through Anor Londo and place the Lordvessel, I'm a bit daunted by all the possibilities, but then I get through the Archives, and the Catacombs, and Lost Izalith...and then it's like "Ok, time to go and get all the things before I kill -spoiler-". Another thing that tends to stall me is if I get an idea for another build. It won't go away until I've created a character for that purpose. And the worst part is, I simply can't leave items lying around. For example, I have to get Tranquil Walk of Peace even if I'm not using miracles. I'm only just getting to the point where I can leave something like a Soul of a Lost Undead. It's a disease, I'm telling you.

NpPro93 said:
Dark Souls. The first half of the game I find absolutely perfect: the mystery, the punishing but rewarding difficulty, the character customization. But around Sen's Fortress everything switches from being difficult to being cheap (I recognize that may be an unpopular opinion).
Sen's Fortress is one of the most intuitive places in Dark Souls in my opinion. Duke's Archives, not the prison but afterwards, I find fairly cheap just because of archers and Channelers taking aim at you from a floor up or the other side, but anywhere that is trap-based I tend to find pretty well done. [small]If you're not having this discussion that's fine too. ^^[/small]

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
I got 2 but both times I haven't finished them due to their buggy nature:
- Fallout: New Vegas - my last attempt got me about 1/2 way through before the constant save bugs caught up with me.
- STALKER: Clear Sky - I love the STALKER series and their atmosphere but this was also a buggy mess for me. It's the only one of the 3 games in the series that I haven't even finished.

JSDodd

Jul 29, 2010
Got to agree with OP about Mount and Blade. That game gets so grindy when you get your own kingdom

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I'm really struggling to finish Dead Space 3. I thought it was quite good at the start, I really liked the whole Unitology people activating the Markers and exploring derelict space ships. But my God it gets more and more tedious to play as you go on and now I really can't be arsed to play it now. I switched it on tonight, looked at the title screen and switched it off again.

L.A. Noir was another game I struggled with. I started liking it but once you get past Homicide, it gets really tedious to play, Vice and Arson are so boring compared to the start of the game.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
krazykidd said:
Legend of dragoon . It's a good game mine you . It just drags out way to long . I usually get bored at the begining of disc 4 ( remember when games had mutiple discs?) . I stopped playing 30 hours in 3 times , before finally giving it a super push on my 4th playthrough and finishing the game .
Not to mention the button presses for combos gets longer with new each attack.
Jaeger_CDN said:
I got 2 but both times I haven't finished them due to their buggy nature:
- Fallout: New Vegas - my last attempt got me about 1/2 way through before the constant save bugs caught up with me.
- STALKER: Clear Sky - I love the STALKER series and their atmosphere but this was also a buggy mess for me. It's the only one of the 3 games in the series that I haven't even finished.
I couldnt get past Litovisk due to crash bugs so I feel your pain.

OT: For me its alot of strategy games at first they are hard but after a bit you become so powerful that it becomes easy mode. For example in the Hearts of Iron series after you beat the Soviets as Germany its pretty much all downhill form there, plus the USA carpet nuking all my cites with me being unable to to much gets tedious.

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
I have a weird thing when it comes to (good) RPGs. During the final hours of the first play-through, I stop and think about all the earlier scenes, and how I'd like to play that again. Then in my second play-through, I feel the same way about the later hours.

I'm pretty sure that's a mark of good game design when I feel that way.

A more direct example: The first third of Assassins Creed III. Because Haytham.

Insanity72

Feb 14, 2011
I'm the the same with the Total War games,I enjoy starting off and getting a good economy and military going, but then when freaking Austria and it's 2 protectorates decide to declare war on me and constantly pummel my army turn after turn, it get's annoying.

And it's the opposite for Elders Scrolls games, I don't like starting out because I would always do the same thing, Oblivion, get out of sewer, go to Weynon Priory, go to Arena. Skyrim, get out of Helgen, go into that mine, go to riverwood then whiterun. It's was rather fun when I was playing Oblivion and as I exited the sewer I thought "you know what, I'm just gonna walk in the complete opposite direction to Weynon Priory"

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
I hated finishing the walking dead. It left questions unanswered.

Oh and Dark souls I JUST finished about 15 minutes ago (Woo :D) but now I crave moreeee. Luckily I have alot of stuff still left to do. :)

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
Super Paper Mario, I love the game but as soon as I get to world 6 the game decides to have you fight 20 mini bosses in a row and it gets really repetitive, and if you happen to die you have to go all the way back to the last save block which is at the very beginning of the world which has caused me to abandon 2 of my play throughs.

Jas0913

Jan 16, 2010
Zelda Skyward sword. The game has so much potential but falls flat in the controls department. I find myself going back to it every 4 months since it's release but I just can't bring myself to finishing it. This is coming from a guy who's beaten Ocarina of Time over ten times, Windwaker twice (maybe 3), and Twilight princes 3 times. So yea I'm a pretty big LOZ Fanatic and I think Skyward Sword could have stood among the greats had it not been for its awful controls. Ohhh and Dowsing segments.... anyone else feel like those were totally out of place.

Zeke63

Jul 10, 2012
antichamber, the surreal world is so engaging until you hit a brick wall of where do I go and how do I beat these harder puzzles, not to mention which puzzles since they dont all lead to progression