Games you love, but no one else seems to know about or remember.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Lost Kingdoms and its sequel for Gamecube.

Imagine Yu-gi-oh battles only real time and have you to manoeuvre your player about while summoning monsters from cards.

some only appear for a split second and launch a quick attack, some fight along side you, some have a special effect such as slowing down enemy monsters or reviving used cards, some replace you and launch a powerful attack, in the sequel you can transform into monsters and fight as them.

Its from the guys that did Demons/ Dark souls, they were always good at doing atmosphere!

Thandran

Feb 19, 2011
Grandia II.

Found this game in a bing for a couple of euros. Money well spent.

Simply beautiful music and a tear jerking story. Sniff, I'll miss you Mareg!

WittyInfidel

Aug 30, 2010
Delerien said:
Freespace 1+2
I never played Wing Commander so these were my Introduction to space combat and it's probably the main reason I'm so excited to see the Genre "revived" with Star Citizen. It had somewhat clunky controls but was otherwise perfect in every way. It looked impressive (at least to me back in the day ;)) and had an engaging Story. Most importantly though it had the best Dogfights space ever had to offer.

Last i heard someone bought the rights to the series for 7500$.
I absolutely love Freespace 2. And it's also available on GOG for just a few bucks. Picked it up a little while back and can't stop playing it.

For me, Arcanum: Of Steamworks And Magick Obscura was a hit. A "Baldur's Gate" styled RPG with an amazing storyline and world setting. Sure, the graphics were not that great, but made up for it in setting, deep characters, and an intriguing story. Interesting take on the magical arts balanced against technical invention.

InfernalGrape

Jun 3, 2012
Anachronox - THOUGH now, after re-release on GOG it got some new attention, it still kinda forgotten.. Can't even find any working fan site. Masterpiece don't deserve such fate =/

Advent Rising - it was going to be a BOOM, but it failed (a bit) and now it's forgotten. but it's good in gameplay and epicness

Armed & Dangerous, from makers of Giants: Citizen Kabuto. They created shark weapon before Saints Row..

Enclave - good architecture and overall. got awful wii port recently

Culpa Innata, antiutopian adventure game

Vay, cute jrpg with fixed inn prices

Majuu Ou aka King of Demons - pretty bizzare snes game

Astal, failed to become "Sonic of Saturn". anyway, amazingly beautyful music

Torico aka Lunacy, interesting fmv adventure with unique mood

Baroque, roguelike dungeon crawler with cool monster design. THOUGH remake released on ps2, wii and iOS

D2 - weird monsters, philosophical plot and great soundtrack

Illbleed, maybe the strangest horror ever made

Maken X, while not belonging to Megami Tensei, full of Kaneko style

Shadow Memories, adventure with very nice plot

Shadow Tower: Abyss - interesting dungeon crawler with shooting, from authors of Demons/Dark Souls

Flower Sun and Rain, the real masterpiece in plot and atmoshpere by Suda 51, before all that lollipop things

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
Bishi-Bashi: Special for PS1! It is the ultimate (yet very simple) 2 player game, chock full of humor and oddities.
That game is Awesome!

I have a soft spot for DreamWeb but i haven't met anyone who knows what the hell i'm talking about. This is something i rarely say about a game but the story is amazing in this one.
Another game is Frontier: Firstencounters, the third game in the Elite series and my favourite of the bunch despite it being completely broken. There's just something very atmospheric and appealing about that game, i especially love the Bryan Ferry styled soundtrack.
Also the third Realms of Arkania game, the first Rpg that convived me that i loved the genre, sadly also one of the only Rpgs i enjoy. It has a very unique style with a sublime soundtrack and a fairly captivating story accompagnied by a deep and complex skill system. Oh and the second game in the series is one of the only games i've tried where having an open world didn't ruin the experience but added to it.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Spiderman for the Gameboy Colour. 2D action platformer where you go up against the likes of Venom, Lizard, Hobgoblin, Doc Oc and Carnage. Loved it as a child.

Jzcaesar

Mar 29, 2011
Jandau said:
Nexus: The Jupiter Incident - This I don't get; everyone adores Homeworld and Nexus is basically a smaller scale Homeworld. It's a spaceship sim with a focus on capital ships. Good visuals, challenging combat, varied missions, seeing your ship gradually improve with better weapons, trying out various different builds for it. I've literally never met another person who played this and I can't for the life of me figure out why...
I liked this game because it was kinda like homeworld + FTL in that you had to manage energy levels. My only grip about it is the fact that sometimes it felt like the ships weren't shooting the weapons I wanted them to shoot with. In a game where some weapons only damaged shields and some only damaged hulls, it was pretty damn important.

I might give the game another try. It's on gog now, and wouldn't hurt.

Iron Gix

Mar 26, 2010
Birth of the Federation

spent a lot of nights playing this, is the game that really got me into RTS and later into C&C. Of course it had it's faults,Klingon's would seek peace agreements when they begin to lose a war,the Federation would request tributes in order to prevent that faction from attacking the player and very limited style of ships but man,it really sucked me in,still miss it.

Forst1999

Mar 29, 2011
Lands of Lore II: Guardians of Destiny. I loved that game. I loved the spell system, I loved exploring the areas, I loved the characters and the whole not-quite tradtional fanatasy setting.

yankeesniper57

Jan 14, 2013
Trespasser -- Quite possibly the most original and ambitious FPS of its time. With full control of your right arm for aiming and one of the first modern physics engines, it was definitely ahead of its time and deserved more love than it got. Easily my favorite dinosaur game of all time.

Live For Speed -- I think I only had the demo, but one track and three cars were all I needed to really enjoy this game. Playing that game with a full size racing wheel was one of the most realistic driving experiences I've ever had. Also we had a modding device that allowed for adjustments to all the car's specs, including power and torque. Fun times.

Anomynous 167

May 6, 2008
imahobbit4062 said:
3 games, 2 of which are made by a fairly popular developer.

Spartan Total Warrior and Viking Battle For Asgard. Basically Total war games but in the soldiers boots. Spartan was fairly linear whilst Viking was a big open world game in which you went around liberating Viking Clans to build your army, along with Dragons because what else would you use as air support during those times?

Lastly, Shadow Of Rome. Basically "Gladiator: The Game" made by Capcom. Which was fucking amazing.
I have never actually seen Spartan Total War, but I have heard of it (from looking at the Total War wikipedia page). As for Viking, I won't say that I loved that game for one (AND ONLY ONE) of two reasons: The controls were a little clunky or I kept dieing during the stealth sections.

As for my game that I loved that no one seems to remember? Well for one, there is the little known one-game-wonder I.P released in 2004 for the PC and Mac which was to be dubbed "The Halo-killer". This game was called Breed before it was to be called nothing at all for being forgotten. But then again, there may be another who knows of this game, i.e. the man who whom I borrowed his copy (for five years and counting).
Another that noone knows about is a title from the days of the old Mac OS 9, Boom. To put it simply, Boom is Bomberman meets Doom. Although I do not know what Doom is, what I just said was the ingame description of the game.
Finally comes a game I loved, but sadly no one, not even me, remembered: Robotrek for the SNES. I had played that RPG back during my primary school years on an emulator, but as a result of youthful dislexia I misremembered its name as "Robotech". Unable to find the game through out the rest of my life, I began to doubt its very existence until this very month. I was on my ex-Xbox, browsing through my ROMS, randomly pushing X, when I unclimatically found it.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Mr Dizazta said:
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. One of my all time favorite games for the GBA, but I have only met a handful of people who have ever played the game.
Count me as among those whom have played and beat the game. Was pretty fun.

OT: Secret of Evermore. Name six other games where your canine companion is also a toaster-bazooka-robot.

Yeah, thought so.

The_Scrivener

Nov 4, 2012
Amaror said:
King of Asgaard said:
Beyond Good and Evil.
A fantastic action-adventure/puzzle-platformer/racing game with one of the best stories in gaming, and easily the best female protagonist. It has a really nice world, too, with a lot to find. I suppose it could be considered one of the first sandboxes. It has one of the coolest scavenger hunts that are mandatory to sandboxes: taking pictures of around 100 different animals. It makes the world feel alive, despite the fact that the area you can explore is about half the size of a university campus.
I think it's on GOG for a pittance, so I highly recommend y'all go and play it.
What?! Everbody remembers that game! At least here on the Escapist.

For me:
Spellforce. An Awesome hybrid of Rpg and Strategy game, combining the best aspects of the two together. The Strategic and tactical gameplay of Strategy with the progression, sidequests and awesome story of rpgs --> Epic game.
It is one of the few chosen games to get an HD remake for current gen consoles...The game is a cult hit and received huge critical acclaim...

Anyway, Chu Chu Rocket for Dreamcast. Most fun multiplayer ever and I don't know anyone who still plays it.

Scott Rothman

Feb 2, 2012
cloroxbb said:
Beyond Oasis: It was a game for the Genesis, it was a Zelda type game, and it was awesome, you could summon some "help", and I know of no one else that has ever heard of it or played it. I loved the sequel on Saturn too, called Legend of Oasis.
Have this in box for Genesis. It's fantastic!

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007

War of the monsters was so much fun, I can't believe it has not gotten some kind of sequal. god damn it I spent a lot of time in that game!

ParanoidEngineer

May 20, 2009
Hogs of War. World War 1 factions fight on a cartoonish battleground with poison gas, mortars, dynamite and airstrikes from Zepplins. They are also pigs. When they die they explode into a pair of smoking boots. It was amazing.

Jun 20, 2013
A PS2 platformer called Whiplash.
The premise was funny, but admittedly a bit gimmicky. The game felt rushed, it was fairly buggy, to the point were a walkthrough warned against using a certain power-up because of the weird havoc it could cause. The graphics were dated when it came out. Yet, the gameplay was so well done. I could play this thing for hours and it wouldn't get old. In spite of the outdated, arguably bland graphics, the environmental design was actually really cool in a lot of places. The music was pretty well done and fit the tone of the game perfectly. Also, the game is hilarious, occasionally annoying, but hilarious none the less. It remains on of my favorite games of all time.