Games you love, but no one else seems to know about or remember.

Scott Rothman

Feb 2, 2012
My friend came to me the other day telling me about some 'shitty' game he played on his girlfriends N64. He was like "We played some game called Nightmare Creatures? It was terrible"

I yelled at him for a good five minutes.

While it probably hasn't held up very well, and I remember the camera controls being terrible, that game was terrifying and amazing.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
The Mark of Kri.

Cellshaded awesomeness of Conan the Barbarian, narrated by a Korean actor with a super gravelly voice. Fun game, awesome atmosphere, excellent mechanics.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
ParanoidEngineer said:
Hogs of War. World War 1 factions fight on a cartoonish battleground with poison gas, mortars, dynamite and airstrikes from Zepplins. They are also pigs. When they die they explode into a pair of smoking boots. It was amazing.

I can safely say that i LOVED this game, it was easily my favourite game for the play station 1

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
Betryal at Kondor

Indiana Jones and the fate of atlantis

Quantum Fighter (NES, first game I've beaten)

rashandale

Apr 17, 2013
Tropicaz said:
For me:
Spellforce. An Awesome hybrid of Rpg and Strategy game, combining the best aspects of the two together. The Strategic and tactical gameplay of Strategy with the progression, sidequests and awesome story of rpgs --> Epic game.
Spellforce? i was about to disagree and say that it was quite known, but now that i think of it: none of my friends actually played it. but my brother and i loved it and played it for lots of hours, despite the many flaws it had.
The combination of role play and strategy was awesome, the setting and the story was quite good and the RTS-part was very comfortable to play.
Spellforce 2 was not as good as the first one, but still pretty good, except for the last expansion.

But my choice for a very good game that noone seems to know would be Battle Realms:

Fantastic RTS-game with lots of innovative ideas and 4 pretty unique factions. The Story was pretty good too.

It was released at about the same time Warcraft3 or Warcraft3:The Frozen Throne came out, if i remember it correctly. Could've been the reason why noone gave a shit about Battle Realms at that time. It wasnt very accessible either. The micromanagment was pretty bad; each unit had unique armor-types and passives which was nowhere mentioned and the graphic-style probably wasnt everyone's taste.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psi-Ops:_The_Mindgate_Conspiracy]. Really fun combat and a half-way decent story. The series shouldn't have been canned like it did.

AMOK [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amok_(video_game)]. It's a rather short arcade mech game with some bad controls but MAN, destroying stuff in that game was just fun. A lot of the elements in this game just went together so well. It had that gritty look before gritty was cool. (Think old-school Mechwarrior.) The mech itself that you were driving was pretty nice looking too. It is PRIME remake material, I tell you. Sadly though, hardly anyone even knows it exists. I had the cover of the game for my avatar just to hopefully raise SOME awareness for it.

lacktheknack said:
OT: I talk about Myst Online way too often on this site, and yet people still look like deer in headlights when I gush about it yet again.

(The deer-in-headlights part happens after I say "free third-person puzzle MMO".)
I read about it. It sounds like a great social game actually. Am I right or wrong?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Rendark said:
Shining Force 1 and 2. I beat them both so much back in the day i know them by heart.
I <3 the first one so much. I haven't had the time to play the second one.

OT: I talk about Myst Online way too often on this site, and yet people still look like deer in headlights when I gush about it yet again.

(The deer-in-headlights part happens after I say "free third-person puzzle MMO".)

Collegeboy21

Jan 26, 2010
Freespace 2. Best space combat sim ever, and it even had an awesome story! It's on gog.com now, so everyone should go buy a joystick and then play this game because it's amazing.

Tactical Pause

Jan 6, 2010
The one that really stands out in my mind is Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason, which also just so happens to be where I got my profile picture.

I've never heard or seen anybody else so much as mention it, but it has still managed to stick with me since I played it a few years back. It's a unique 'FPS-ish' survival horror game set aboard a ship that has been claimed (along with its crew) by the arctic ice surrounding it. Beyond this, things get a little hard to explain, but both the setting and story remained fascinating throughout, even if the latter did throw in a little extra weirdness at the end.

It's hard to pin down exactly what I like so much about this game (beyond the obviously awesome atmosphere), but something about the aesthetic, narrative, and overall feel has me looking back on it quite fondly, despite its numerous flaws.

Unfortunately, after losing my copy, I discovered that Cryostasis is no longer available on steam, and is out of stock everywhere I've looked (even digital copies). Loathe as I am to admit it, this means I'll probably never get around to replaying this game.

Rogue Trooper

Oct 25, 2012
Playful Pony said:
Only my favorite game of all time, Lucas Arts: Outlaws!

This game is the most fun I've ever had playing an FPS. It's fast-paced action with a nice little storyline, fun characters and a lot of great dialogue between each cutscene you shoot your way trough a well-designed level filled with cowboys, chickens and a bossfight. The weapons are quite varied and usually have a really good feel to them, which is surprising considering how old the game is and how it looks. It is one of the very few games I still have in a box, sitting like a sacred relic on my shelf. Every time I take it down to play it I have a blast, I'm always surprised at just how much fun the game still is 16 years later! I also read it's the first game to feature sniper zoom, so thats cool X3.

This is the game that got me into FPS gaming way back then, when I played it at my cousins computer as a young, blue-eyed girl. Now I am a young, blue-eyed woman with a muffin top, and it's just as much fun as it was back then... Nostalgia speaking? Most likely!
My god...I thought that I was the only one who remembered this game

Angelowl

Feb 8, 2013
rashandale said:
Tropicaz said:
For me:
Spellforce. An Awesome hybrid of Rpg and Strategy game, combining the best aspects of the two together. The Strategic and tactical gameplay of Strategy with the progression, sidequests and awesome story of rpgs --> Epic game.
Spellforce? i was about to disagree and say that it was quite known, but now that i think of it: none of my friends actually played it. but my brother and i loved it and played it for lots of hours, despite the many flaws it had.
The combination of role play and strategy was awesome, the setting and the story was quite good and the RTS-part was very comfortable to play.
Spellforce 2 was not as good as the first one, but still pretty good, except for the last expansion.

But my choice for a very good game that noone seems to know would be Battle Realms:

Fantastic RTS-game with lots of innovative ideas and 4 pretty unique factions. The Story was pretty good too.

It was released at about the same time Warcraft3 or Warcraft3:The Frozen Throne came out, if i remember it correctly. Could've been the reason why noone gave a shit about Battle Realms at that time. It wasnt very accessible either. The micromanagment was pretty bad; each unit had unique armor-types and passives which was nowhere mentioned and the graphic-style probably wasnt everyone's taste.
Battlerealms? kudos to that. That game had a unique feel and was remarkably entertaining at times. I was schocked when some of my friends knew of it. The dragon warriors were quite badass, half-naked asian dude with a ponytail and a flamberge. Must say that I liked the wolf clan a fair bit thematically, druidesses, berserkers, werewolves, pack masters etc.

To add some of my own. Rites of War, a warhammer 40 000 title. Turn based strategy for the PC, main focus were on the Eldar. Beautiful game, nice mechanics, hexagonic grid and a most chilling farseer giving the briefings. That guy defined my view on the whole race. Fast talking, detailed vocubulary, and a lethal toungue. He seriously sounds like people would die if he insulted them.

Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds. Uses the Age of Empires 2 engine, basically Age of Empires 2 but star wars. Nice chnages to gameplay, good factions (except Naboo and Gungans...) and really really awesome campaigns. Especially the clone wars ones. To qoute the clone troopers "Good guys wear white!" Honourary award goes to the wookie-campagn when Han Solo and Chewbacca wrests Kashyyk from the Empire.

Ogre Tactics: The Knight of Lodis. A GBA RPG tactics game made by the same guy who made FF Tactics Advance. Beautiful setting, interesting classes, diverging storyline, good story and good characters. It's simplistic but definitely my favourite game in the genre, 8 characters and expectations to actually use characters to support each others. Never released in Europe, but my mates and I found it in the used games section in a game store in London when we were on a vacation. Made the whole trip absolutely awesome in my opinion.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Goemon's Great Adventure http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110222141812/nintendo/en/images/a/a9/Goemons_Great_Adventure.jpg

And

Ogre Battle 64

http://ogrebattle.weebly.com/uploads/2/9/0/3/2903560/1029187_orig.jpg?334x230

One was a platforming gem and the other had one of the best stories ever. Seriously, I can't find those two games without going broke fast.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
I saw someone mention Viking already! That's a darn great game. With a bigger budget, I think it could have been even better. But it was well worth playing, anyway (just needed more in it).

I have two:

Constantine. It was based on the Keanu Reeves movie, which was based on the comic book. The game was a lot of fun, considering it was a movie game. There were some fun puszzles and the combat wasn't bad. Plus if you left the character idle for too long, he'd light up a cigarette and lose health. Pretty neat idea!

Punisher. This wasn't actually based on the movie, although it did star Thomas Jane (the best Punisher) and featured a few of the characters. But it was based on Garth Ennis' Punisher series and it was a blast to play. You could feed people to sharks, throw them in wood chippers, feed them to piranhas, drill holes in them, throw them off buildings, kill them with Iron Man's glove and so on! It was like Manhunt but actually fun to play.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
This beautiful thing.

It had some control issues and was fairly buggy, but it's one of my favorite PS2 games. I should buy the PSN version (and so should you).

Korihor

Free Thinker
Dec 9, 2010
Kickle Cubicle for the NES.
A classic puzzle adventure game that deserves a sequel.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A0PDoS4sJhVStC0ATuiJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTFybDBoZ2c1BHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1nBG9pZANkYzU0NjQ1ZDk2NzZjNzliNTM1YjA0OTAwYWNiNmUxZARncG9zAzM2?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dkickle%2Bcubicle%26fr%3Dchr-greentree_gc%26fr2%3Dpiv-web%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D36&w=765&h=671&imgurl=www.obsolete-tears.com%2Fphotos%2Fnes-kickle-cubicle-jeu.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.obsolete-tears.com%2Fkickle-cubicle-nintendo-nes-test-992.html&size=153.3KB&name=%3Cb%3EKickle+Cubicle+%3C%2Fb%3Esur+NES.&p=kickle+cubicle&oid=dc54645d9676c79b535b04900acb6e1d&fr2=piv-web&fr=chr-greentree_gc&tt=%3Cb%3EKickle+Cubicle+%3C%2Fb%3Esur+NES.&b=31&ni=96&no=36&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=127dsto81&sigb=13fia6tpn&sigi=11oo940lv&.crumb=d1VYksVIaW0&fr=chr-greentree_gc

optimusjamie

Jul 14, 2012

I've been playing it since I was about 7-8. There's some really good mod communities for it out there.

A BigCup of Tea

Nov 19, 2009
buck fucking bumble!! none of my friends or in fact no one in my town save 1 or 2 people know what it is! i'm hoping someone here knows about this game

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
I'm not sure if anyone's said Shenmue yet, so I will, although I don't really know if that one's obscure enough, I certainly don't see people talking about it, I manage that enough for everyone though, every time there's a "game that needs a sequel" thread or any thread remotely like this I bring it up,

on a side note, I too loved Hogs of War