Games you love but nobody you know has heard of them.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Mooboo Magoo said:
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
I absolutely loved Little Big Adventure 2 on the PC when I was young, and still do! (Thanks GOG). However, I have never met anyone else in my life who has even heard of it! (It was a pretty big game! Hopefully someone slightly older than me, or the same age as me will have played it too!

I also loved the game Unholy War for the PS1. It was an early arena fighter at a time when a few different arena fighters were around (I can think of another 3 on the PS1 from this time, but not the names of them. :/ All from demo disks!)

I have a game on my DS that I surprisingly liked called Nostalgia. It's a turn based JRPG which is unfortunately too easy, and has a simple story, but I just loved the settings and characters. It was set in a steam-punk esque alternative real world and you had to visit monuments and wonders on an airship. The airship aspect was pretty cool too!
I played the hell out of Little Big Adventure 2. For the longest time I didn't even know it was a sequel to anything because I just knew it as 'Twinsen's Odyssey'. I don't know how old you are but I'm 26. I also had Unholy War on a demo disc (I'm guessing you read Official US Playstation Magazine back in the day?) I played it a bunch but I never actually played the full game.

As for my unknown game that I liked I'd have to say Silent Bomber. It was another game I played on a demo disc. I thought it was never actually released in America, but now that I'm looking it up it looks like I was wrong...so I'm going to have to try and track that down.

Anyway, the gameplay was really fun because the only form of attack you have is setting down bombs. You can drop them behind you or shoot them out. They had a delay of about half a second which was short enough so it stayed fast paced but just long enough that you had to think about what you were doing. Fun demo but I don't know about the whole game.
Well... i'm 25 so we had the same there! :p Difference is I am British, so we had both of the French Games, and it was just Little Big Adventure 2 for us!

And as a Brit I was a subscriber to a different magazine. I never went for the OPM though, I went for one called PlayStation World (PSW) because it was funnier! They had good demo disks too... although I used to have all the demo disks from my cousin for OPM so I had them too! There was one that had 14 Net Yarooze games on it, which was fantastic! 14 full games! :D (The original indie titles that wern't made by your dads pervert mate down the pub ripping off other games sprites!)

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Magic: The Gathering by Microprose

I grew up thinking the name of the game was Shandalar. This has been my favorite video game of all time that involves cards. It mixes Magic with rpg elements and unique rules. It's almost perfect in story and progression execution and I'd love to see the game re-done in current day. Especially if they could polish the actual 'combat' so it was as fluid and satisfying as Hearthstone.

Most other games I owned and loved were probably known by my friends. Some of the more obscure ones (if you could call it that) were Ikaruga, Gladius, some western sherif game on commodore 64 that used Mass Effect style dialogue storytelling via conversation trees. I don't remember the name but it was awesome for it's day.

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
Summoner and Summoner 2.

Those were my childhood RPGs. Great Lore, great characters, great story. The gameplay wasn't too bad either, even if the first one was a little bit of a chore at times. There were plans to make a third, but the were dropped for some reason. The IP is now owned by Nordic games who bought it after the collapse of THQ. I hope to God they do something good with it.

Kaland

Jan 22, 2011
Bad Mojo - I love this game. The live-action intro-and-ending-cutscenes with cheesy dialogue were so bad that it was charming. The rest of the game was actually amazing. The only I know of where you play as a cockroach trying to survive in a home! Best cockroach simulator to this day!!!

...aaand now i wanna find and play it again!

Blue_vision

Elite Member
Mar 31, 2009
Not really an old childhood game or anything, but I really love El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron. The story's great, visual design is wonderful, and I think the gameplay is actually nice and tight, in the system of countering and stealing enemies' weapons. But none of my friends have heard of it.

bulger_paul said:
One of my favorite childhood games was Golden Sun for the gameboy advanced. Gorgeous graphics, an excellent musical score, the best story you'll ever find on any pre-nintendo DS handheld system with quite a few surprises and an excellent ensemble of characters, well balanced RPG gameplay, great sequences of simple puzzle solving, and exciting combat sequences. To this day it is my favorite handheld game of all time. I know that most classics don't hold their own or have aged particularly well in comparison to a modern market, but believe me, Golden Sun actually does ten years later. And the sequel was pretty fantastic as well, Golden Sun: The Lost Age.
Oh man, I loved these games! They really were a cut above the average RPG. I'm kind of tempted to play them now...

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
Jason and the Argonauts... It was and action game with a few RPG elements. Your upgrades depended on your favor with the gods, which meant the weapon you killed enemies with and, in the dialogues, the lines you chose from (if you favored Ares you'd get upgrades form his magics and weapon). The adventure itself was pretty nice...

Rip Van Rabbit

~ UNLIMITED RULEBOOK ~
Apr 17, 2012
Heavy Metal F.A.K.K. 2

Take Tomb Raider...

- Add more guns, swords, shields, crossbows and miscellaneous two-handed weapons.
- Tons of fanservice.
- Hilariously so-bad-it's-good voice-acting.
- A snazzy dual-wielding system linked the hands to either left-click or right-click.
- Rewards exploration and making use of your entire arsenal in combat.

From a gameplay perspective, it still holds up pretty well! From a graphical perspective, well, after knocking back a few glasses of wine you won't really care anyway.

Overall it's a solid game that deserves a little more recognition. It has issues up the butt, no doubt, but it's a charming game that makes Lara Croft look like a girl scout.

This game always made me wonder from an early age what the fuss was about regarding the Tomb Raider series.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Grandia and Grandia 2, maybe. I hardly know any gamers, but Grandia are among the more obscure titles I own. Played them as fuck when I was a kid and tried getting my hands on the sequels often with no success. :(
I've seen the games get mentioned a few times on this site, however it seems like not many know about it. If you haven't and are a fan of the PS/PS2 era JRPGs you should definetly try it out!

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
MrBaskerville said:
Awesome! That sounds right up my street! I imagine Dark Cloud borrowed a lot of influence from this!

Did you also play Jade Caccoon too? When you mentioned monsters it reminded me of that! With it's great monster evolution mechanic where you could make thousands of slightly different looking monsters!
I've been staring at the sequel for a while, just looking for the right time to buy it (Ps2 games are crazy cheap where i live^^).
Damn... How did I miss the fact it had a sequel!? Looks like another one to add to the Bucket List! :S

All my free time looks like it is now being sucked into a hole lined with 5-15 year old games! :S
You two managed to mention a big chunk of my childhood in your little conversation there, thanks for that.
Also, Jade Cocoon 2 is a fun game, but personally I don't feel that it compares well to the original, it lacks character, mainly because of the same-same-looking dungeons.

Going on-topic;
Alundra ( or; The Adventures of Alundra ) is a top down 2D ( with a proper height/depth system that grants you the ability to jump ) action-adventure game for the PS1 akin to the SNES Zelda titles. It has a solid story, pretty great sprite graphics, an emphasize on exploration ( for upgrades and hidden stuff ) and a great musical score. On the internet it is easy to run into people that know this game, but in real life I haven't been so lucky, so that's why I give a shout out to this game.

It's on the Playstation Store if I remember correctly, at least in some regions.

deepdoop

Feb 10, 2014
Alek_the_Great said:
MediEvil for the PS1. It was one of the first REAL games I've ever played (a relative got it from a Pizza Hut promotion or something) and I've loved it ever since. I'm surprised the game hasn't received more love, it was a pretty great game for its day and had a really cool art style. Its remake, MediEvil: Resurrection, was even better than the original and was the main reason I bought a PSP back in the day. If only the franchise saw more action, other than Sir Daniel Fortesque's appearance in Playstation All Stars, MediEvil has been absent.
Damn. It wasn't one of the first real games I've ever played but it was one of the first PS1 games I played, I think. That brings back some memories... that really was a solid game.

As for my pick, I don't know how to really judge this because a) I come from a small town so I don't get a lot of game conversation with people and b) the game conversation I see on the net is on video game sites. Maybe I'm over thinking it... so let's just go with OFF.

OFF is a surreal indie RPG with an awesome soundtrack. I often say it's the type of game I'd make if I had talent. It's not that the visuals are incredible, but the game has a distinct feel to it -- whether it's weird of even creepy. I just love that game and consider it one of my favourite RPGs of the last 10 years.

Is Earth Defense Force popular now here in North America? I see it mentioned sometimes on websites but nobody I talk to has heard of it until I lend them one of the games and they fall in love.

Chrozi

Apr 8, 2010
Starflight was one of my favorite Genesis games. It NEVER comes up in discussions about great Genesis exclusives or good 16 Bit RPG's. (unless I do) Its a port of the old PC game but had lots of improvements over the original.

Mr. Eff_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2009
DEFCON (everyone dies) on the PC.
It's a nuclear war themed RTS. Extremely simplistic in its mechanics, layout and aesthetic, but the multiplayer gameplay is quite layered and can lead to some fantastic matches. In addition, it really makes one think about nuclear war, and how terrifying it is. The game's soundtrack is especially creepy.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Mr. Eff said:
DEFCON (everyone dies) on the PC.
It's a nuclear war themed RTS. Extremely simplistic in its mechanics, layout and aesthetic, but the multiplayer gameplay is quite layered and can lead to some fantastic matches. In addition, it really makes one think about nuclear war, and how terrifying it is. The game's soundtrack is especially creepy.
It's basically "Global Thermonuclear War" as seen in the movie "WarGames".

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
I had a demo disc way back when that included a demo for Hammer of the Gods. I played the demo a number of times, almost always losing all my vikings when trying to sack a town, but still had fun regardless. The game has been abandoned now so can be downloaded freely. I really need to try playing it sometime and see if it's as fun as I remember.

Ymbirtt

May 3, 2009
I absolutely loved Little Big Adventure 2 on the PC when I was young, and still do! (Thanks GOG). However, I have never met anyone else in my life who has even heard of it! (It was a pretty big game! Hopefully someone slightly older than me, or the same age as me will have played it too!
Oh god I used to love that game, too. It's pretty much my earliest memory of gaming, and I can basically still recite a walkthrough for it from memory. I especially remember when me and my brother got really stuck on the last bit in Fun Frock's evil lair. After killing him for the fourth or fifth time, my brother went downstairs to the kitchen and left me at the computer, and I had no idea what to do from here so I just decided to run into the big pit of lava. Those who have played the game may remember what happens here [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6fIhUhINuc#t=1032]. He was amazed when I ran downstairs to tell him what happened.

Anyway, my contribution. Dystopia, an objective-based multiplayer first person shooter for the source engine.

What, that big blue circle thing? That's my SWT [http://www.dystopia-game.com/wiki/index.php?title=SWT]. I prefer to call it my "Legitimised Wallhax"

What sets this thing apart is its sheer complexity. Almost every single weapon has some kind of quirk or nuance that sets apart the exceptional from the merely skilled; the assault rifle is at its most deadly between the 20th and 30th shots in a burst, the dual-wielded smartlock pistols can be locked onto targets individually allowing you to guarantee hits against two different targets, etc. Every player selects from a variety of implants letting them hide their heat signatures, silence all their weapons, turn invisible, etc. Every objective is supported by multiple sub-objectives which bring in the most interesting implant of all - the Cyberdeck.

That big grey door defends the loading docks, and can be opened from inside by the screen on the left. To get in from the outside, the door needs to be hacked. I was so busy taking this screenshot that I failed to spot the guy actually capturing the docks. Sorry Starshipcaptain :(

All of the maps feature a "cyberspace" section, which feels like a completely separate game. Where most games would have a prompt saying "press X to hack", all hacking in Dystopia takes place on a separate section of the map, in which players jack in to a computer terminal and project their meat sacks into cyberspace to do battle there, with a different set of cyberspace attacks, different movement physics and subjective gravity. Jack in points are sometimes located in secure bases, but are also often placed in the middle of the battlefield, meaning a hacker needs to get into this dangerous location, then leave their meat sack in this vulnerable location whilst they complete an objective.

What, you thought this game was just another grey and brown sourcemod?

For a reason that I simply cannot fathom, however, nobody plays this game. Learning how to play is non-trivial, and there are probably no more than 100 people who actually play, exactly one of whom I know personally. This game could be awesome, with its bizarre map design and hideously complicaded objectives, but it suffers from a severe lack of players. When I took those screenshots, there were exactly 10 people in the entire world playing, all on the same server. That was peak time.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Axmak said:
Mischief Makers on the N64
This relatively underrated N64 2.5D platformer was not only the first video game I owned, it's also in my top 3 N64 games of all time. The soundtrack is awesome, the character design is incredible, and because of the artstyle, the graphics hold up even today.
I suggest it for anyone who likes old school platformers, puzzle platformers, and games like Ristar and Klonoa with grabbing mechanics being a central theme.
I've always said if I could have any sequel made, it would be one to this game. Preferably with the Justice Warriors as allies this time.

Going even further back, King Arthur's World on the SNES is probably the most obscure game I've really enjoyed. Best described as Lemmings with medieval trappings, except with much better control over your people and you only lose if your king dies. While the later levels could have certainly used checkpoints due to being so long and chock-full of instant death traps that you must guide the king through, it was still fun and challenging with a catchy soundtrack including Ride of the Valkyries used for the bosses.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
marche45 said:
Jet Force Gemini for the N64.

Its a great example of games just being silly.Basically you play as either one of two fraternal twins(the boy who has the ability to walk on lava unharmed,and the girl who can swim underwater) and a a cyborg dog with thrusters on his feet and guns on his back.You fight giant bugs and rescue a race of peaceful bear-like tribals.

Still holding out for a sequel.
Considering Rare has lost it's marbles in madness, I highly doubt it. I finished Jet Force Gemini like 3 times. F*ing awesome.

And dat soundtrack. The definition of epic. Seriously, after a while you stop hearing MIDI and start hearing an actual orchestra in there.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
Anyone here know of Kingdom of Paradise for the PSP?

It still remains my favorite game of all time. It's a JRPG with a good story, great fighting mechanics, amazing music, and an awesome customizable combo system. Also, it's not a turn-based combat, (it's action-game-ish) so that's a huge plus for me.

I'd love to get into more JRPGs if it weren't for the turn-based combat. I'm kind of a sucker for the stories and worlds in JRPGs even if they do get kinda corny.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Elfgore said:
My Girlfriend is the President. It is a VN that takes place in the "fictional" country of Nippon. An alien crash lands and kills the prime minister of Nippon. In an attempt to make things right she makes Nippon's government that of America and makes your childhood friend the president. Throughout the story you meet three other girls: The president of Rusia, another childhood friend, and a spaceship (you read that right).

The game is really goofy and rarely takes itself seriously, but it does have some deep moments hidden some routes.
That game is decent and cute, but the Putin route sorta got a bit bad 3/4th into the story

It kinda felt the guy was just taking advantage of her during sex and she just started to become pretty submissive