Games you love but yet suck at.

TheHomelessHero

Apr 11, 2013
The original Xcom, I've probably started about 10-15 new games, and every single time I fail miserably, I keep trying, but damn it's near impossible (love the atmosphere and the feeling of dread though, but the RNG just hates me)

Dr. Thrax

Dec 5, 2011
As quite a few people have said, RTS games.
I love the Command and Conquer games, I'm just no good at them.
I never play online because it's all turned into a rush-fest. Who can rush who first.
I usually tend to turtle, get my superweapon built, and build my army, maybe making a strike at something undefended with some air units now and then. Once my superweapon's ready, I launch to clear out defenses (Damned Nod AI in Kane's Wrath...) and move in to clean up.

Eliwood10

Feb 4, 2013
All of them. I suck at every game I play. Doesn't make me love them any less, though :)

But League of Legends, StarCraft II, Team Fortress 2, Smash Bros., and Civilization V stand out in particular as games I love but can't play well.

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
Eh, that depends on the definition of "loving" and "sucking". The only game(s) I can think of that I'm no good at all at, and still enjoy playing somewhat, would be DotA 2 and all the other similar titles. The thing is, though, I'm not utterly horrible at them. I'm just not good at them. And I can't say I love them either. In fact, I usually kind of hate them. These games are great fun if played with a full team, but they can go fuck right off if there's more than one random guy on my team. And if I'm on a full team, I suddenly play way better than if I play solo for some weird reason, so then I both enjoy the game and play decently at the same time.

Otherwise.. if I enjoy a game, I'm usually fairly decent at them. That includes genres that are notorious for being really hard to get into for a beginner as well, like RTS and fighting games. In fact, I was a top 100 player in the original Company of Heroes, and I go to fighting game casuals on a regular basis, so those are probably my favorite multiplayer genres overall :V

edit: OH, and one more thing. Horror games. Man, I love the way horror is done in games. To the point that I can't fucking play any of them. I never get scared at horror movies, I've never played an actually scary survival horror game for more than one hour before never touching the title in question again :(

Tropicaz

Aug 7, 2012
I am decent at most games, above average when I try at most multiplayer games, however some are beyond me.
XCOM is the most obvious one for me, I love it so much but i'm really not good. I'm average at best at Civ 5, but it's so much fun.
Finally, I'm just woeful at stealth games. I love Hitman but I suck so, so badly.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Jedi Academy multiplayer. The online scene is populated by so many vets that if you aren't good, you will get chewed up and spat out.

Well, I guess I don't suck at it but man, I've seen some people that can just STOMP me.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
I adore Fire Emblem Awakening, but can't not play on Casual. No matter how hard I try, I can't go a single battle without losing a person and that is completely out of the question. So, I dream of the day I can play classic and feel like I actually mastered something.

Also, Saints Row. I suck at that game's shooting mechanic. Maybe it might be easier to play on a keyboard and mouse combo? Any tips for someone who desperately wants to play but can't get past level 1?

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
More recently, Fire Emblem Awakening.
Maybe playing on Hard Classic wasn't a good idea. But I did it. And holy fuck until I got Donnel and levelled him up so I could completely break the game people were dying CONSTANTLY. And I'ma metagaming shitbag so if anyone died then off goes the 3DS because nobody gets left behind.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Metal Gear Solid 3

I really enjoy the depth to the survival mechanics, and all the options the controls allow.
However I'm stuck on an early part in Operation Snake Eater, because I seem to be horrible without the usual radar, because the given options only tell me what direction people are, not their relation to objects, and without any cone of vision.

Chances are I'm just missing something, or I need more time to get past the difficulty curve.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
All FPS games. I always play them on easy mode for that reason, because it takes me about 5-10 seconds to move the mouse cursor over to the bad guy, hover around him until I know I'm going to hit him, and fire my gun at him. And even on easy I die a lot. It doesn't help that my wireless mouse kinda sucks.

Zeldias

Oct 5, 2011
Killer Seven and basically every grand strategy kind of game like Sins of a Solar Empire.

panzertank83

Jan 8, 2011
Every fighting game except for the Tekken series (I'm actually good at those). I love the Street Fighters and Marvel Vs Capcoms and Mortal Kombats of the world, but I have always sucked at them.
Always.

ChanTheNoob

Dec 6, 2011
FPS games like CoD on console, since I'm very new to the console environment, and I'm also allergic to the plastic on Xbox controllers. I also tried Street Fighter IV and Mortal Kombat on PC with a PS3 controller, and I suck pretty hard at those too, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't fun.

Timedraven 117

Jan 5, 2011
Dragon age Origins. On normal. Yeah. That shit is hard. Why? Because unlike in Mass Effect the only people who gain experience are the ones in your party at the time, so you either skip a lot of content with each person and focus on just one team, or you can get halfway through the game, get bogged down and stuck forever until you lower the difficulty. Its ridiculous.

And Modern warfare 2 multiplayer. Sometimes i do good, but i can never do as good in that game as i can in BF3.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
StarCraft 2 multiplayer. I suck so bad at that game, so I only ever do co-op multiplayer.

Timedraven 117 said:
Dragon age Origins. On normal. Yeah. That shit is hard. Why? Because unlike in Mass Effect the only people who gain experience are the ones in your party at the time, so you either skip a lot of content with each person and focus on just one team, or you can get halfway through the game, get bogged down and stuck forever until you lower the difficulty. Its ridiculous.

And Modern warfare 2 multiplayer. Sometimes i do good, but i can never do as good in that game as i can in BF3.
Erm...they must have changed that with a patch or something then, because I'm playing through DA:O now and yet to use Sten or Wynne in my party but they're still levelling up right along side me. <.<

Timedraven 117

Jan 5, 2011
LetalisK said:
StarCraft 2 multiplayer. I suck so bad at that game, so I only ever do co-op multiplayer.

Timedraven 117 said:

Erm...they must have changed that with a patch or something then, because I'm playing through DA:O now and yet to use Sten or Wynne in my party but they're still levelling up right along side me. <.<
Really? My last play through was a while ago and it seemed that i was the strongest yet even my strongest fighters were dropping like flies. Thanks for letting me know.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Capcom fighters...all of em.

To my credit I can play and win in arcade mode. But I just get my ass kicked in pvp.

BitterLemon

Jul 10, 2013
Palademon said:
Chances are I'm just missing something, or I need more time to get past the difficulty curve.
I love MGS3, but yeah... I was spotted 100 times in each screen of the game. There's not much you can do to know when the guards can see you, only with experience you get the hang of how much blind they are. If you're playing on normal, though, they are blind like a mole if you have 80% camouflage or above. You can sneak almost to their feet without them noticing.

For me, I guess it's Street Fighter 4... love the gameplay, the balance, the art style... and no matter how hard I try, I can be beaten by a 6 year old kid spamming flying kicks or someone bashing the controller to make Blanka eletric shock.

Realistic racers, too... Games like Gran Turismo, F1, Dirt3. I really enjoy them, I even have a modest driving wheel for the PC and I can drive okay, I undestand the physics... but jeez, I'm a mediocre racer. I suffer at the single player, I'm always fighting to finish second last in multiplayer... whenever I manage to be first, I get nervous, my heart start pounding and then I crash alone in silly curves... I'm just not cut for it.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Timedraven 117 said:
LetalisK said:

Timedraven 117 said:

Really? My last play through was a while ago and it seemed that i was the strongest yet even my strongest fighters were dropping like flies. Thanks for letting me know.
Just looked more into this and this is what I found:

"Once obtained, any companion not in the active party will still level up. They will not gain experience as such, but if at any point they are two or more levels below the Warden, they will automatically adjust their level to one below. For example, say Oghren joins the party at level 12, and the Warden is level 11. If Oghren is left in the camp while the Warden heads off adventuring, he will not gain experience. However, as soon as the Warden reaches level 14, Oghren will instantly ascend to level 13."

Werewolfkid

Nov 1, 2012
XCOM Enemy Unknown. I love this game, i love fighting aliens, i love building my base, i love ranking up my soldiers, i love researching technology, I love collecting resources, and I love finishing missions. But, I am terrible at the game I have never been able to get past the base the Outsider Key opens up, I restart when ever I lose a soldier, I restart when I lose a mission, I am just flat out terrible at turn based strategy games and can't seem to get into them no matter what I do.