Games you love but yet suck at.

Subscriptism

May 5, 2012
ANy Total War game online. Wish I was but I'm too bad and slow at micro.

CS:GO oh god I really wish I was good at this but everyone else that plays this has about a million hours clocked on it and lightning reflexes so I get mown down so easily.

Beat14

Jun 27, 2010
I guess horror games, it's an awkward answer though because I really love the atmosphere but at the same time can't stand putting up with the tension and so normally don't get very far. Games come to mind are Amnesia and Outlast.

Most game I love I end up fairly competent in. So my jagged answer stands.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
World of Warcraft. I'm not a great Tank, my Healing is so-so and I'm never top damage dealer as a DPS. But god damn if I don't love playing. I'm average at just about all three roles and that suits me fine, because I have so much damn fun playing the game.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
Starcraft 2.

I LOVE the strategies that you have to come up with in some matches, but more often than not I can't make my idea actually happen. It's incredibly frustrating to have a read on the situation and be unable to execute it because it requires a ridiculous number of APM.

luke10123

Jan 9, 2010
Thr33X said:
First Person Shooters. I love Battlefield...but I suck at it. Too slow on the draw most of the time. I have a blast playing the game, but I don't go in expecting to score high on the leaderboards let's just say.
Doesn't help that most of the players have been playing nothing else for years, it means if you come into a game like that, 90% of your opponents are total vets!

Ravage

Aug 24, 2013
The Total War Series. I'm great at turn-based games (it kind of is in the campaign but the gameplay itself isn't). But when it comes to any RTS like that, StarCraft, etc.. I suck bad. But I loooove Total War anyway.

Hyenaroo

Nov 22, 2009
Sine Mora, along with most Bullet Hell shooters. I love them, but they can get excruciatingly difficult, and I still have trouble at times.

Feraswondervahnn

Jul 15, 2010
Tekken. I love Tekken, and I'm better than a couple of friends, but man do I suck! I love the games! I have owned every Tekken game except Tekken Tag 2, but I should be sorting that soon. I just don't have the patience to sit and learn and practice combos. I think the only 3 fighting games I was ever any good at were Killer Instinct, Clayfighter 63 1/3 and Soul Calibur.

I also love the game Sacrifice! I think the God's are amazing, I love the idea of a random Wizard being dragged into their conflict and I love their personalities. I have never completed it though. I always end up playing Stratos (can't help it, he's my favourite :D) and I can't clear the mission against 2 of Pyro's Wizards. Doesn't stop me from spending hours playing it though.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Any stealth game. I deepy love the play style, but I just can't play them right due to my extremely short attention span and lack of patience.

Last Hugh Alive

Jul 6, 2011
I'm playing XCOM: Enemy Unknown on easy at the moment and I think I'm about halfway through. I don't play strategy games often at all and Enemy Unknown has been fun so far, but man does the game like to kick my ass, kill my best people and remind me of my place sometimes.

Everything about the between-mission micromanagement and the menu driven combat just overwhelmed me at first but I stuck with it and the game opened up for me a lot, constantly learning new things. After the tutorial chapter (which I feel I took longer on than I should've) I was feeling confident in the squad I had built and my grasp of the game.

AND THEN... I think it was the first main story mission (the XCOM equivalent of ME2's Collector missions) that introduced me to, officially, my new most HATED enemy in any videogame. Even more than those fucking Cazadors from New Vegas. It's a creature that soaks up more damage than most enemies, can kill one of your soldiers pretty quickly and they fucking zombify immediately afterwards. It's frustrating because game played like tactical cover battles up to this point but these things (oh yeah and they ALWAYS come in groups of three) just about break the game when I encounter them because they act purely as ravagers, they just rush the hell out of you.

Apart from them I'm actually otherwise digging the progressively higher difficulty when it comes to other enemies and even the assholes I just mentioned (the game gave them the least convenient name possible, I don't know what they're called) aren't the impossible obstacle they used to be for me. I just couldn't imagine playing Enemy Unknown on any higher difficulty setting though, good thing I'm playing Saints Row 3 on the side when I need to blow off steam.

duwenbasden

King of the Celery people
Jan 18, 2012
Kerbal Space Program. Trial and error doesn't really work and usually my designs are ... off at best.

Starcraft 2 as Zerg. While I am not bad at it, playing as Zerg makes me feel like I am doing something wrong all the time (missing injects, not droning, resources out of balance, etc...)

kurokotetsu

Proud Master
Sep 17, 2008
ALpha Centauri. I just can't keep up with my firends. I'm also not that great at fighting games, considering the level I normally play is low and I kcik everyone's asses, but I can't do a thing in a tournament.

Bellvedere

Jul 31, 2008
Timedraven 117 said:
LetalisK said:
StarCraft 2 multiplayer. I suck so bad at that game, so I only ever do co-op multiplayer.

Timedraven 117 said:
Dragon age Origins. On normal. Yeah. That shit is hard. Why? Because unlike in Mass Effect the only people who gain experience are the ones in your party at the time, so you either skip a lot of content with each person and focus on just one team, or you can get halfway through the game, get bogged down and stuck forever until you lower the difficulty. Its ridiculous.

And Modern warfare 2 multiplayer. Sometimes i do good, but i can never do as good in that game as i can in BF3.
Erm...they must have changed that with a patch or something then, because I'm playing through DA:O now and yet to use Sten or Wynne in my party but they're still levelling up right along side me. <.<
Really? My last play through was a while ago and it seemed that i was the strongest yet even my strongest fighters were dropping like flies. Thanks for letting me know.
I think there was also some confusion because even though the game let you choose which order to do any of the treaty quests (and whatever sidequests you pick up along the way) there is actually a "recommended" order due to how the game is scaled. Each area has a maximum and minimum level. If you enter the area between those levels then enemies will scale normally. If you enter above the max level, enemies will scale to the max level of the area and will be too easy. If you enter the area below the min level, enemies will scale to the min level of the area and may be too hard. Most notably you're not meant to go to Denerim or Orzammar until you've done a few of the other areas first. The problem was that no one knew this. Not sure if that was your problem but it would explain the sudden difficulty spike.

OT: I'm pretty lousy at Fire Emblem Awakening. I hear normal is supposed to be a cakewalk but I still had to reset the game every few fights because someone died. I'm sure the only reason that I got anywhere at all is because nothing seemed to able to land a hit on my MC.... Awesome game though.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
Dragon Age Origins is the first to come to mind. I still find it to have the best pure roleplaying elements of any game I've played, but I had to play the game on easy and was still dying a moderate amount of times. The end game was fine once you have most of the abilities, but that game doesn't let you get away with picking the wrong build. I hear most people did'nt have that much trouble so there you go.
Bellvedere said:
I think there was also some confusion because even though the game let you choose which order to do any of the treaty quests (and whatever sidequests you pick up along the way) there is actually a "recommended" order due to how the game is scaled. Each area has a maximum and minimum level. If you enter the area between those levels then enemies will scale normally. If you enter above the max level, enemies will scale to the max level of the area and will be too easy. If you enter the area below the min level, enemies will scale to the min level of the area and may be too hard. Most notably you're not meant to go to Denerim or Orzammar until you've done a few of the other areas first. The problem was that no one knew this. Not sure if that was your problem but it would explain the sudden difficulty spike.
I don't think I have much excuse with that either, those were the ones I did last anyway. Have to save the dwarf nobles revenge quest for the end after all.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
MMOs. I'm not bad at the combat, just slow to level. I'm playing Final Fantasy XIV right now, and I'm baffled to how people level so fast. Grinding FATEs I guess. Also, I suck at crafting.

Amaury_games

Oct 13, 2010
I don't even have to think much about it!
The Touhou Series and Starcraft.
I love both and I can't beat any Touhou even on Normal Difficulty (bullet hell shooters; at least I can beat the fighting games), and can barely beat some friends in Starcraft.
I'm not so good with FPSs too, but I'm way better than what I play like in Touhou games. XD

Worthenstein

Feb 4, 2010
Dawn of War II - absolutely love the 40k universe but am horrible and the online multi and regularly got yelled at for my incompetence. Despite my own faults, I'd like to blame this on the fact that it was updated constantly and easy to lose track of what'd been nerfed and shitcanned.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
More recently, Fire Emblem Awakening.
Maybe playing on Hard Classic wasn't a good idea. But I did it. And holy fuck until I got Donnel and levelled him up so I could completely break the game people were dying CONSTANTLY. And I'ma metagaming shitbag so if anyone died then off goes the 3DS because nobody gets left behind.
How did Donnel break the game? Seriously? Donnel?

And also, I'm pretty sure you don't suck, hard mode just means fucking hard. Couldn't beat the damn first mission without getting my balls crushed in a vice.

themind

Jan 22, 2012
XCOM: Enemy Unknown on Impossible difficulty.

I love the challenge, but I absolutely suck on the hardest setting.

EDIT: Finished the game on all other settings, but miss one shot, or get hit by one critical, and the whole edifice just comes crumbling down.