Games you love that you turn into... chores?

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
I get this a lot for two separate reasons.

One is for games with upcoming sequels. Witcher 3 is about to come out and I am putting off getting it at launch or near launch because I know I will want to play through 1 and 2 again, which is a 100+ hour endeavor for me that, while I will enjoy it, feels like a chore more than a relaxing fun time. Same thing went for Mass Effect, had to replay 1 and 2 when 3 came out, and the fact that I disliked ME3 significantly still gives me pause to the Witcher just because I don't want my heart broken again. I actually demonstrated this concept yesterday, Hotline Miami 2 comes out tomorrow and having all day available on Sunday, I played through Hotline Miami 1 to refresh myself on what happens. That said, HLM1 isn't much of a chore because I've played it so many times I can beat the entire game in about 90 minutes.

The other reason I feel this chore aspect is because I have that annoying achievement hunting thing where if I play a game with achievements, I have to do my best to get all of them if at all possible. And often times, 100% achievements turn good games into mind numbing chores of grinding and replaying and doing sections over and over. I have owned Torchlight 2 for over 2 years now, and I have yet to boot it up once because I believe it is a game I can get 100% achievements on and I know when I start playing, I wont stop until its 100% complete, which if Torchlight 1 was any indicator, will be at least a few hundred hours of play. And this stupid drive to get all the achievements is putting me off from playing a game I know I will enjoy. (Even harder to justify now because they finally removed the glitched achievements that made it "technically" impossible to 100% the game)

I often come away from games that are great with horrible memories because I have to play them over and over to get 100%, really wish I could kick the habit.

Oh and also I played a super large custom map of Viscera Clean-up Detail on Saturday, started it at 5pm, the map maker estimated it to take 5 hours, it took at least 8, I cheated after 7 and a half hours because it was midnight and I wanted to go to bed but I had some weird compulsion to finish it. So yeah, that was a chore but that game is essentially a chore, just one that is fun in small doses.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
I could probably attribute that to most western RPGs with character creation. I start up, wanting to play as a deadly assassin or a powerful mage, but before I can do that, I must make do with hacking away at enemies as a sub-par fighter.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Yeah, it happens to me a lot. But once I start to play, I usually stop feeling it like a chore and keep enjoying them. When it happens with several games at the same time, I use a dice and stick up with the result. The games have been: Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta, Minecraft (raiding the Ocean Monument was so good that everything else now looks kinda boring), Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Mass Effect 1 (for a time, later I got hooked again) and Wind Waker HD.

PsiChaos

Nothing Interesting Here
Feb 21, 2015
Anything game that involves some instance of grinding. I can love a game to death but grinding always seems like a chore. I don't hate it, but going an hour with no plot progression just so you can make your guys strong enough to fight the boss or get that rare drop always seem like more work than fun. Other than that, I think the Infamous series is the only series of games I've ever forced myself to Platinum only because it wasn't too much effort to actually accomplish.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Tomodachi life to an extent as it keep track of how long it's been since ya visited, and it gets a little overwhelming visiting near 100 people. I don't think there's a penalty if you don't, but frikking A.

Animal Crossing New Leaf. I thought I could handle a game with a little upkeep, but nope! things got out of hand. Low on time as I am I just can't keep up with things and unlock everything. Worse is there's penalties for neglecting your village.

monster Hunter: busting your ass to get a random drop to make one piece of armor out of 4? Plus a weapon? Oh the horrors, I was playing the first monster hunter trying to get the broken parasol so I could make the umbrella gun, and I think I actually threw it away by accident.

Dragon Ball Xenoverse, as much as I love the game, shit servers be damned, I am grinding "taunt" and dragon balls. With some equips requiring mixing, I can see where it's starting to go.

A lot of games with random chances to get something, especially if the chances for those chances are chances, has potential to get annoying.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
GW2, I don't' know that I loved it but I did like it. Now though with ascended armor grind, time gated crafting, GM's and daily tasks I just can't be bothered any-more. I really need to clean out my inventory and possibly make a mule character before I can start playing properly again because I have too much shit but I can't be bothered sorting it. I also need rethink my builds because I haven't played properly in while and things have changed. Every time I log in I feel like I have a laundry list of things I should do before I have fun and it puts me off.

Aetera

Jan 19, 2011
Sometimes World of Warcraft for me. Mainly logging in to each of my 10+ characters with garrisons to do their daily garrison stuff before I can actually play. I've stopped doing it on all but 4 of them because it became such a chore.

Also, Animal Crossing. I've perfected my house to just the way I want it, so now I just log in to get my daily fossils, hit my money/gem rock, and make sure my favorite villagers aren't moving away.