Games you thought would be awesome...

Casbahthegrey

Jul 16, 2009
Mirror's Edge, Far Cry 2, Halo 3, Prince of Persia etc etc etc.
I have decided to stop looking through you tube videos describing awesome game play and great graphics and instead keep my receipt when I make a purchase.
It seems that my games are getting dumbed down too, Far Cry 2 on the hardest level with all the most realistic settings took me barely a day to get through and the constant drive and stop drive and stop through guard check points that killed my ammo supply pissed me off no end, a game that would have taken barely 5 hours for me to destroy took 13 or so and it didn't even challenge me!

wildwind1290

Jun 15, 2009
Genji: Days of the Blade.

What the hell, man. There had to be a reason why I got it for twenty bucks used at gamestop. I only played it for three days and after that...ugh. It looked nice, but everything else was complete utter crap.

Frankydee

Mar 25, 2009
Considering that I'm a cynical person I don't expect a game to be genuinely awesome until after I've played it. I've had some mild disappointments (ie Army of 2, Mercenaries 2, GTA IV, the vast majority of modern FPS's), so I don't really get myself work up about it.

Yoshi-Pop

Apr 1, 2009
Oh god...
Legacy Of Kain: Defiance, Killer 7(sorry. Didn't like it.), Resident Evil: Outbreak, Devil May Cry 4, Van Helsing(shoulda seen that one coming), there's a WHOLE lot of games that have dissappointed me. Those are just off the top of my head.

toapat

Mar 28, 2009
nikki191 said:
spore.. definitely spore.. group of mediocre dumbed down game genres shoehorned into one package. needed a hell of a lot more depth.. simearth depth, master of orion depth.

Assassins creed. i really want to like this game. i end up uninstalling it and then hoping "maybe it gets better, maybe i didnt give it a chance" .. install. play.. uninstall.. rinse repeat.

i couldnt get in to KOTOR either, just didnt grab me. but i gave it another try and bang hooked :D
Spore if you were hoping for more kinda disapointed, thats why everyone was disapointed, and honestly some of what it needs is back in the old 2005 demo, the free design cities would have been nice, and the more realistic creature nesting program, but that got axed because it made the game unwinnable occasionally. Sim earth didnt have depth, it never did.

Assassins Creed isnt a computer game, it falls under hack&slash, it doesnt belong on computer. it isnt Theif, the closest game to AC. but Theif is a stealth game, the objective, as Yahtzee points out so well in his review of the series, is you go in, get all the treasure you can hold, all the while putting out every light you find, and then getting out alive with no one dead. AC is a stealth Hack&slash, you go in, kill someone, get out as quietly as possible, or cleave legions of civilians on your way out. the game doesnt fit Computers because occasionally you need to kill everyone in sight, and a keyboard an mouse can not perform what you need to do

KOTOR i cant get into because it is too freaken hard

C0nn0r666

Oct 19, 2008
Radeonx said:
Fable. By no means was it a bad game, but it was just over hyped and they couldn't deliver all their promises. Same thing happened with Fable 2.
i have to say this as well

13lackfriday

Feb 10, 2009
deathstrikesquirrel said:
The new Prince of Persia
They scrapped the original character and setting in favor of some weird, acid-trip-color-palette visual style.

Frankly, I wasn't surprised.

deathstrikesquirrel

Apr 15, 2009
That's what
popdafoo said:
deathstrikesquirrel said:
The new Prince of Persia
You know, that game has been getting a lot of hate but I played and beat it and it wasn't that bad. Other than the combat, it wasn't that bad.
Really, the combat is what ruined the game for me, especially the button mashing events and that you could never be embraced by the sweet release of death in that game.

Crimson King

May 16, 2009
I had high hopes for Black, it looked really neat and the commercial for it was funny but in the end it came out samey and bland. The variety of guns and enough explosions to give Michael Bay a stiffy were cool alright but the destruction of the in game environment was nowhere near what the advertisements and articles led me to believe.

Insanum

The Basement Caretaker.
May 26, 2009
Mirrors edge (i never bought it, thank god!), STAR WARS FORCE UNLEASHED - BETRAYED! and The Fable series (its been touched on, Just didnt deliver promises)

that guy 2000

Dec 10, 2008
Mercenaries 2 was ok, but nothing like how I wanted it to be, just a semi polished remake of the first which was good but come on something new.

draxious

Jun 14, 2009
EvilGenius666 said:
I'd have to agree with Spore and Mirror's Edge here.
Also, pretty much any expansion pack in the Total War series will end up being nowhere near as good as the game it expands.
agreed but i think the newest one is good ((or so i've heard)) and to the person who said fallout 3 sucked i'm not saying i hate you i mean i can see why i just dont agree with you and yes spore was a real let down

Skwee

Jul 22, 2009
crazyhaircut94 said:
Oblivion, FFXII and Fallout 3.
Only played oblivion once, and it's true it is not as great as the hype would speculate.

I liked Final fantasy 12, or The Dynast wars as I call it >.> I think it's a good game... if you don't think about it as a final fantasy game.

Fallout 3 I can't contribute to that argument, I own it yeah, but I can't play it because my computer is utter crap.

I would have to testify along side some other people here, Spore is a massive disappointment. I still play it from time to time... when I have three or four hours when I have nothing better to do...

bigolbear

May 18, 2009
Spore is the biggest example for me, the creature stage is cool but the rest of the game is kinda week, It could and should have been amazing. As it stands it feels like a great creature generator with a few mini games attached.

Now i KNOW im gona get slated for this....
but fallout 3. ok graphicaly good(not awesome) game play was good and the vats system was very clever. BUT the plot was weak, and the writing was off. The character options had no where near as much effect on the game as I expected from the first 2 games(try an int 1 char in fallout 2 if you still have it). It simply wasnt as funny or as disturbing as the first 2 games. Its not a bad game, far from it but as a veteran player who enjoyed fallout 1 and 2 when they came out all those years ago I was hoping from big things from bugthezda when they got the licence to make number 3. I guess my complaint is that they didnt realy hit the Humour nail on the head for me.

Oh and I brought a big radiation imune supermutant with me to the final scene and STILL had to take the fall my self in the radiation chamber... stupid plot death.

On the upside MAJOR plus point to bugthesda for including dogmeat for all us oldies.