Games you want to like but just can't

Gorilla Gunk

May 21, 2011
Games that you really do like but it's that one thing that keeps it off your "Best Games" list.

For me it's the Uncharted 3 multiplayer. At times it's the most fun I've ever had with a multiplayer game. Others it's the most rage-inducing thing I've ever played. Often it's like I'm playing against people who have special boosters that aren't available in my version of the game. A booster to increase the power of your punches so that they're one-hit-kills, a booster that makes you invincible when rolling, etc. I just can't take it sometimes and have to turn the game off after one or two matches. And this is coming from someone who's played a hell of a lot of Call of Duty, the king of cheap, rage-inducing deaths. Never really got upset at getting mowed down by double-shotgun wielding kids in MW2/3 or getting killed by magic bullets in Black Ops. I'm a pretty calm player and can usually take defeat in stride, but there's something about Ucharted 3 that makes me want to put my first through a wall, and because of that and how it makes me feel I can't really say I love the game as much as I want to.

What are yours?

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
I'll go with uncharted 3 but single player .

I want to like it , and i really should . It's like prince of persia ... With guns ! Now i love the first 3 PoP games and i love gun but i can get into uncharted 3 ( haven't played the two previous games due to me just buying a ps3 and the game came with it). Drake is such a douch , i want to punch him in the face . The game is good looking , and it's fun but i don't know why but it just doesn't sit well with me for some strange reason . I really can't stand the protagonist or his selfish reasons for beating up people . I really can't explain it .

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
krazykidd said:
I'll go with uncharted 3 but single player .

I want to like it , and i really should . It's like prince of persia ... With guns ! Now i love the first 3 PoP games and i love gun but i can get into uncharted 3 ( haven't played the two previous games due to me just buying a ps3 and the game came with it). Drake is such a douch , i want to punch him in the face . The game is good looking , and it's fun but i don't know why but it just doesn't sit well with me for some strange reason . I really can't stand the protagonist or his selfish reasons for beating up people . I really can't explain it .
I was going to say pretty much that I just don't like the game. I don't know why I just don't.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Skyrim (and Oblivion)

Seriously, this should be the perfect game but I find myself getting distracted by shiny things outside of Skyrim and putting it down. I played it a bunch so I guess it was half-successful but I don't really see myself going back to it again after this third put-down.

I think the AI is broken (bad guys seem to think it was their imagination when their third bandit friend dies from sudden arrow sprouting), the combat is boring, and the story is non-existent. I get that these are not the points of playing Skyrim but they just bug me too much to let go...

All of my friends seem to find these wicked awesome caves with super adventures in them while I just find the cave of retarded bandits...maybe I'm just unlucky and that's why I don't like it as much as I should.

pyrosaw

Mar 18, 2010
Homeworld. I think it's just because I suck at RTS games, but regardless, it's a pretty good game.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
The Elder Scrolls series. All of it. Somehow the massive deviation it makes from holy D20 just doesn't gel with me... and that makes me feel like a fervently religious person, which annoys me.

sage42

Elite Member
Mar 20, 2009
RAGE and Alan Wake. I wanted to like those games, I did, still do, but I don't. There's just something about them that seems........off to me.

Gearran

Oct 19, 2007
Kingdoms of Amalur. This game has everything that should make me become a computer-bound shutin for months at a time: interesting crossclass mechanic, beautiful graphics (that don't horribly tax my graphics card), intriguing skill system, a story penned by world famous and much-beloved authors...

And I didn't get five hours in before uninstalling it.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
Neverwinter Nights 1+2 and Baldur's Gate 1+2

I just found them to be so boring and tedious. Add to that my unfamiliarity with D&D, and they were just unfun experiences.

WiccaVamp

Jun 26, 2009
Alan Wake and Persona 3.....I loved Persona 2 and the concept for Alan Wake seemed awesome but both games really left a bad taste in my mouth.I really did give them a shot, they just didn't work out for me.

IMGF

Mar 15, 2012
The Fallout series. I've played through Fallout 3, and I just could not get myself really into the game. I don't even know why because I generally love those open world quest games where you can just sort of go places and do things and get fancy weapons and armor upgrades. I loved Borderlands, for example. But for some reason, the Fallout games have always really bored me. I tried out New Vegas and couldn't get through 10 hours. And the worse thing is I don't really know why.

TorqueConverter

Nov 2, 2011
Deus Ex Human Revolution.

I'm not even 10 hours in and I just see no reason to continue. I'm not having fun. I don't care about the love interest, whatever the hell her name was or her god damn mother either. Why is the city of Detroit the size of one half city block? Does Adam sleep in the hallways of his place of employment? Where the hell is his house? Where is the rest of the city for that matter?

No game, I'm not going to sneak around anymore in your story-telling set pieces and throw myself at furniture until you quit acting like a linear, story driven FPS with cover based mechanics.

Lewieroo0

Feb 2, 2009
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions

I loved Final Fantasy Tactics on GBA and I find that there are things in this game which are better in comparison......but by Christ is the difficulty just too brutal. A handful of the missions I had to go through felt so hard to accomplish and the amount of farming to get my troops to their strengths to finish them was just not fun for me. The other game felt alot easier to get through the story without feeling stuck but in this game the amount of times I have to grind my arse off just to finish one stinking mission is just annoying.

Also that one mission where you have to defend Rapha on Riovanes Castle Roof, two words:

FUCK....IT!

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
The Bit.Trip games. We have a very complicated relationship, but when it comes down to it I'm really not a fan of trail and error.

Also, every hack and slash game ever, they're just not my thing.

Moralio

Feb 2, 2012
I second Kingdoms of Amalur. Technically it has everything: fast paced combat system, massive lore created just for it, nice graphics, tons of things to do etc. but in the end I forgot about it 5 minutes after killing last boss.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Uncharted and Assassin's Creed

I can acknowledge these are all decent/good games, but I just despise them. They are totally not my taste. From their protagonists to their settings, I am immediately bored the moment the games starts. What makes it worse are all the platforming elements mixed into these games. As much as I like that, it doesn't help their case, but instead just makes me reminiscent of better days when these games would have had more imaginative settings, exceptionally higher complexity in level design and much better protagonists who weren't 30-40 something everyman.

I would just rather go back to playing Sly Cooper or the old Tomb Raider games, which seem similar enough to me, just better in every aspect.

Zelcor

May 13, 2009
Lewieroo0 said:
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions

I loved Final Fantasy Tactics on GBA and I find that there are things in this game which are better in comparison......but by Christ is the difficulty just too brutal. A handful of the missions I had to go through felt so hard to accomplish and the amount of farming to get my troops to their strengths to finish them was just not fun for me. The other game felt alot easier to get through the story without feeling stuck but in this game the amount of times I have to grind my arse off just to finish one stinking mission is just annoying.

Also that one mission where you have to defend Rapha on Riovanes Castle Roof, two words:

FUCK....IT!
lol I'm having the same exact problem. I'm finding the AI partners you get frustratingly retarded and the enemies use potions like their life depends on it (99% of the time it does, 1% I feel is just mocking me)

OT: Elder Scrolls hands down, love big open worlds, fantasy weaponry and interesting mythos, but clunky combat, bad UI setup, and hilarious glitchiness just don't work for me. Although I used Targets buy 2 get on free thing today to get SCV, Uncharted: GA, and Skyrim. So hopefully things will look good for it.

Also the Starcraft series. I loved Warcraft and I think RTS's are good it's just Starcraft just ends up not being my thing. I think after learning that competitive RTS games amount to people just looking up or creating "Builds" to max out units in the quickest fashions just kind of destroyed the genre for me.

Deadyawn

Jan 25, 2011
Alpha Protocol.
It's an Obsidian RPG which means I should like it. I like all their other stuff. Best writing in the industry as far as I'm concerned.
For some reason I hate it. I don't know why. I honestly don't. Most of the stuff about it sounds really cool. But I get an hour or two in and I just want to stop playing. It makes me want to go and do anything else. Like accounts. Or defrag my hardrive. Or clean something. It's weird.

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
Assasins Creed:Revelation

It's just so..bland
Looks and plays the same as the other games in the series and the story doesn't make it feel any better :c
Jumping off a roof top and stabbing someone was fun the first time but after 4 games...