Games you want to like but just can't

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Reccetear.

It's a game I enjoyed for a short bit, since it had almost everything I'd like. But once I made my second weekly payment by the skin of my teeth, saw how high the next payment was, and realized that I could no longer read my customers, it just got too nerve-wracking to play.

I figured I wouldn't mind if they'd just let me play the dungeon-crawling segment over and over...then I realized they made an entire game out that. It was called Chantelise, and it was great.

TorqueConverter said:
Does Adam sleep in the hallways of his place of employment? Where the hell is his house?
He lives in the Charon apartments on the other side of the subway line. You didn't get there, yet?

Well, no point if you're not going to continue (no, it never magically turns into an open-world sandbox ala Infamous or Just Cause), or you'd visit there several times. And find out that, while Adam was under sedation, he received a ton of get-well cards, they had to put his dog to sleep, and his reaction post-augmentation upon looking in the mirror was punching it (several times, even; it's implied he's had to order so many replacements, the manager just refuses to tell him a new shipment came in).

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
Skyrim, and X3 Albion Prelude.

Both huge open worlds, plenty of things to find, see, do, exactly what I hope for. Yet.. I dont know, I cant stay focussed on them for very long. Bit like New Vegas, I think it is great, yet I enjoy replaying the beginning, more than finishing it.

Aug 19, 2010
Grenge Di Origin said:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/79EaiOpiOnyo7q1aRRyEeeNWo1_500.jpg
*waits for fanboys to permaban me/Escapists to flame me*

Hey, it's just my opinion.

Your opinion sucks.
FUCK OFF.
I , personally agree, whenever i started up the game, about 2/3 missions in i remember a game that i'd be a lot more inclined to play.
Hell, i got the game as an attachment with my GameStar magazine. I admit that by FPS standards it is way above average, and there might be a good game in there somewhere, but i just ain't feeling it

Kc Abshere

Apr 29, 2011
I have friends who play World of Warcraft, so I wanted to get into it too. I want to be a part of the hour long conversations about raids and battlegrounds. It never feels like I'm making any progress. It's so repetitive. I've heard people talking about running an instance 20 to 30 times to get one specific loot to drop. And there's that whole pay every month to play thing. No thank you. I will never get into WoW.

Cavan

Jan 17, 2011
Keoul said:
Assasins Creed:Revelation

It's just so..bland
Looks and plays the same as the other games in the series and the story doesn't make it feel any better :c
Jumping off a roof top and stabbing someone was fun the first time but after 4 games...
I have this same problem, I was like "well I enjoyed the previous games a bunch, i'l ask for this for christmas". Forgetting that I played two on release and didn't play brotherhood until very late, revelations doesn't have the forgiving nature of time to make me happy anymore :(

kgpspyguy

Apr 18, 2011
Fallout new vegas i was super exited for it because I loved fallout 3 but it ended up being the biggest cop out' lazy design piece of of crap ever i kept trying to tell myself it was good...but i just couldn't.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Skyrim. I spent money on it expecting it to be awesome, but it was... meh. I wish I could have enjoyed it more, as I could have spent a lot of time in it.
ME3 as well. The game ain't that bad, and I've invested so much time into the universe its not funny, but... I can't enjoy it after the ending. Its just... Gah.

Ravnican

Jul 19, 2010
The Witcher. Juvenile collectible cards aside this looked like a game I could thoroughly enjoy, but for some reason I can't seem to. I've been told the sequel is much better and that I don't need to have played the first one to get the story, but I'm still skeptical.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Grenge Di Origin said:

Your opinion sucks.
FUCK OFF.
Personally, I didn't like HL2 that much either, I have never understood the huge fanbase it has. Nothing really stood out about it for me. But when you post like that and give no actual answers or reasoning it just seems like either you are trying to win some kind of Hipster points or are just flaming.

OT: Fallout: NV. I love the game so much sometimes, but the crashes are so damn common, especially if you mod it to a decent level, it just gets so infuriating. Oddly, the only game running out of the Elder Scrolls and Fallout games I've had any trouble with. I always wondered what people were complaining about with the other games being glitchy/buggy, but now I know.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
Final Fantasy. Any of them really. Can never just sit down and finish them. Also adventure games, same reason. I WANT to get lost in those amazing, immersive settings where things don't shoot at me all the time but just CAN'T pay attention long enough.

Pifflestick

Jun 10, 2008
I know I'm going to gamer hell for saying these but... Dragon Age and Mass Effect. Most of the gameplay is just unpleasant, and the story isn't enough to save it for me. I do like the worlds, I do like the stories, I just can't stand the gameplay and often the amount of text I have to read. Sometimes it feels like I'm reading a book and watching people walk around while occasionally getting some action. It sours me to playing any further Bioware games.

I also disliked Assassins Creed, too much faffing about, too little assassination and with not enough catharsis in the kills. And Half-Life 2 wasn't all that entertaining to me either, I gave up around the time I was moving object around the sand to avoid ant-lions. Oh, and Arkham Asylum I hated because... Well, I just suck at that kind of game.

Theres lots of others, mainly because I go into all games hoping to like them (except Call of Duty) but those are the ones that everyone I talk to really builds up and I just found unpleasant.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
The Mass Effect series.

I just don't like them. After years I finally caved and bought and played the first, but I got bored after the first mission and haven't been back since. I didn't have fun and the story didn't grab me.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Right now Jak and Daxter, I saw nothing but good things about these games and I played through about 4 hours of it last night and I'm finding it pretty tedious already. Its may be pretty stupid being disappointed with an 11 year old game, but the Sly trilogy really made me fall in the love with the series.

Pirakahunter788

Feb 4, 2011
Brink. Oh god Brink.

I had first heard of the game in early September of 2009. I was ecstatic. It seemed like my dream game. A mix of everything that made the games it took from great. The trailers looked solid. They drew me in.

Then they postponed it to to the fall of 2010. "Alright. I can deal with that. Better a game come out late and good than early and suck, right?" I said. I waited, still no release date.

Then they postpone it AGAIN, to spring of 2011. By February I had forgotten about the game, only finding out about it again by posters at Gamestop. I looked at more videos, and decided to pre-order it. This was my first game that I had ever pre-ordered.

I got my hands on the game finally, sometime around early June, having neglected to pick it up. Popped the disc in, and started playing. I don't know if my expectations were too high, or if the quality of the game was just too low, but I just wasn't enjoying it.

Guns were overpowered and underpowered right out of the gate, some abilities seemed useless or negligible. Although the mechanics were fine, the experience as a whole was lackluster, and the strange difficulty curve on the single player missions was annoying, especially the shipyard one and the 3 star challenges. This just was not the game I was expecting.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Grenge Di Origin said:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/79EaiOpiOnyo7q1aRRyEeeNWo1_500.jpg

Your opinion sucks.
FUCK OFF.
Yep, I agree. I just found the whole game to be boring, dry and mediocre.

Dead Rising 2 - I loved Case Zero, but when i got the full game it was just too big, and the combat got really boring, really fast. That and the mission timers bugged me.

Crysis 2 - I love me a good shooter, and this one looked really good, but the story was repetitive, and the multiplayer was really generic.

SonofaJohannes

Apr 18, 2011
Painkiller. Everybody's all like "This game is awesome!!1!", but I just don't like it. It's boring. And the Shuriken-Lightning gun sucked.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
Mass Effect series. Sci-Fi, good story(from the bits I've played through), cool setting, RPG elements, shooting, and interesting characters. It has a lot of things I look for in a game and yet I can't for the life of me get into them. I just don't have any fun.

Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, and New Vegas. Again they have lots of things I look for in a game, but they fall to keep me interested. And the glitches and crashes don't help. Not by a long shot.