Games You Wish Didn't Have a Sequel.

imaloony

Nov 19, 2009
Paper Mario: The Thosuand Year Door.

Paper Mario was good.

The Thousand Year Door was fantastic (One of my favorite games ever)

Super Paper Mario stunk. It was awful and ruined the series for me.

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
I think everyone agrrees with me when i say Deus Ex. the 3rd game would look interesting... IF they showed gameplay.

s0denone

Apr 25, 2008
Darknacht said:
Fallout 2. Fallout and Fallout 2 were great everything after that was crap.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Also:
Bioshock.
Chrono Trigger.
KoTOR.
Rainbow Six Vegas.
Deus Ex.
Tomb Raider.
Perfect Dark.

Just some of them off the back of my head. There are many more.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Darknacht said:
Fallout 2. Fallout and Fallout 2 were great everything after that was crap.
I'm trying not to get too excited about New Vegas, but with some of the old fallout guys on it, is should at least be more fallout.

TiefBlau

Apr 16, 2009
AndrewOfHell said:
In all honesty, I would have to say Deus Ex: Invisible War. All I can say is...

What A Shame.
Lol, I see what you did there.

But honestly, I can't complain about Invisible War, because despite all its flaws, I got it for free, I immediately fell in love with its cyberpunk environment, and it introduced me to the original Deus Ex, which was arguably the best game I've ever played. Even if it didn't nearly stack up to the original, it was still pretty good. Just incredibly disappointing to many.

Modern Warfare could definitely do without its underachieving sequel.

Finally, fucking No More Heroes. Everything became so fucking simplified, with only 1 or 2 things to buy, two ways to work out, jobs reduced to 8-bit graphics (except for the inexplicable repeat of the scorpion job), and the complete absence of assassination jobs, its replacement being an even more inexplicable "revenge mission" series, where you learn absolutely nothing about how to acquire revenge, and then learn the magical ability to take off your jacket, previously only known by Will Smith's son. I thought sequels were supposed to be more complex and intricate. What the fuck is this? This game was so fucking sloppy. The voice acting's gone from most store owners, the sandbox is gone, there are 4 beam katanas, one of which you start with and the other you automatically acquire, leaving only fucking 2 to buy from the store...god damn this is the shittiest follow-up I've ever seen.

Mutie

Feb 2, 2009
The Resident Evil series... I've decided to pay heed only to Resi 1 (remake), Resi 0, Resi 2, Resi 3 and Code Veronica as the proper series and to rename number four as "The New Adventures of Leon and Ada: Attack of the Disgruntled Spaniads!"

Don't get me wrong, Video game franchises should progress; but Biohazard has progressed out of itself. All the reasons I played Resident Evil in the first place, such as atmosphere, pacing, design, puzzle aspects and the not-as-stupid-as-you-might-think story, have all been fucked out of it. Thus leading me to the conclusion that some series' should just stop.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
While most people here have already said FFX, I'd rather not quote them just to say "This"
The New Message on your inbox turning out to be that is always rather annoying.

I'd have to add Ninety-Nine Nights to the list. My brother got that game as a gift and both of us soon found out how awful it was (the story was the worst offender). Seeing it get a sequel hurts me.

Halo also gets added as well since I'm playing through the series now for reasons I've long since forgotten. 2 is reminding me why I'd forgotten most everything after New Mombasa.

Tales of Symphonia 2 was another horrible sequel the world didn't need to see.

Also, while it could be very good, I'm not really too happy about Arkham Asylum getting a sequel. The first game was great, and I'd like to keep it that way.

I'm on the ropes about KoTOR 2. While it was actually very good overall, the ending felt like a real betrayal to me.

fuhier

Jun 20, 2010
Kotor 2 i mean ive never played the first one *i know this gonna sound weird* but i have spent a lot of time playing the second one and there are so many flaws a team took up the job of trying to fill them in. and ive heard the first one is better in story action etc

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Lt. Sausage said:
(Don't say anything half life fans. HL2 was a basic shooter that is not unique in any ways beside decent voice acting and last gen physics. Stop claiming that it's the best game of all time, it's not! I don't care what it revelutionized, nowadays, it's aggressively average.) Bioshock 2 isn't a bad game, don't get me wrong; it just unecessary.
You know, you may want to retract that statement before....oh, too late. Did you really have to dig out the whole Half-Life 2 thing again? Seriously, this got tired and old a long, long time ago.

Yes, to the eye of someone picking up HL2 today it will seem average, but that was far form the case back when it was first released. Back then, the voice acting, exposition, physics, atmosphere, everything just seemed top notch. There's no point even trying to approach the game from todays perspective. Things have changed a lot since it's release, but that doesn't change the quality of the game itself.

Now let's just file this away under "things I will never post about ever again!" and get on with the task at hand shall we.

I may have been able to ignore this if it wasn't for the "don't say anything half life fans" comment. That sealed the deal, I'm afraid.

stiborge

Sep 23, 2009
MMETEORAGA1994 said:
Bioshock, and more importantly to me, Final Fantasy X-2. Everything I hated about Final Fantasy X neatly wrapped up in a game
Oh, I was just going to say Bioshock. I forgot about Final Fantasy X-2 entirely.
How about a game I wish didn't have so many sequels? That would be Guitar Hero. I really need to stop buying them. Also, Tony Hawk, they should have stopped after Underground 2, maybe even after Pro Skater 4. I would say Spliter Cell as well but I was never really into that series to begin with.

Will Ferguson

Mar 31, 2010
I do agree with Bioshock. The first is in my opinion one of the best games ever made. While the sequel, although fun, didn't add much storywise and was largely unnecessary beyond the return trip to Rapture. Although I am fine with its existence because I still enjoyed and it didn't utterly ruin the mythos like say 'Midiclorians'... But hey they got 4 more chances to fix that since its a good thing 2k games went and said there is gonna be 6 Bioshock games with the 3rd in the works right now. JOY!

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
Frostwhisper21 said:
I don't know how you can consider the original fallout better than 3 in anyway. It's so flawed gameplay-wise(lol, 15 minute completion), and story-wise it's also rather generic.

Anyway, New Vegas seems like it's bioshock-2 style in that it's the same thing as the game prior to it gameplay-wise, but in different areas. So I'd rather them make a new fallout instead of this.
because fallout 3 was buggy, crash ridden, bad level design, bad textures, made no sense in its interaction with the lore, and made no logical sense in story or any of its decisions. you assume gameplay quality based on a RUSH. you know what is a RUSH is? thats when a gamer completes a game in the least amount of time for bragging rights. i can complete oblivion 100% in under 1 minute. you wanna know how? we have a thing called a console menu and one of the commands auto completes all the quests in the game.
I certainly dont want to get into an argument about fallout on this site, because if theres one thing ive learned its that people get a raging boner when arguing about why Fallout 1 is superior, but I'd like to point out that but the story in the original fallout didnt make much sense either, the graphics were atrocious, especially by comparison (yes I realize they are a decade apart but you are saying Fallout 3 has crap graphics without giving it a proper comparison which is pretty unfair), and the level design was no better.

But in the same respect, I'd like to say that Fallout: New Vegas is probably one of those games that doesnt need to be made (going along with the topic). Just looks like a grab for more money to me. And yet everyone seems to automatically think itll be better than 3 because it had some of the original Fallout staff.

Whoolpurse

Jul 14, 2008
Call of duty, The first one would have been just fine thank you.
Now for a game I wish had MORE sequels(or prequels, whatever) is S.T.A.L.K.E.R. That one is my favorite game of the universe, hands down. 10 minutes ago I just completed it on master difficulty, (Call of Pripyat) With nothing more than my trusty Martha fully upgraded and fully automatic. Oh god I love that game.