Games you'd love to see another entry for...but probably won't

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Now, never say never (hell, it took 20 years to get another "Killer Instinct") but what are some games or game series that you really want another entry in...but you know it's probably not going to happen (at least anytime soon)?

A few of mine are:
Rage: I'll honestly never understand why Rage didn't catch on a lot more. The game wasn't flawless, but I thought it had awesome gunplay, phenomenal graphics and sound, and a really interesting setting that I really wanted to see developed further.

Psi-ops: This game was so awesome! And the ending left itself wide open for a sequel, unfortunately I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Darksiders 3: I know Nordic Games bought up the Darksiders IP, but no word on if or when there will be a 3. Would be a shame, really want to conclude this saga.

Half-life 3: Yeah I'm just gonna leave it at that.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Knights of the Old Republic- The setting is awesome, I love loved the extended Star Wars universe and the olden times were my favorite. But with The Old Republic out and the extended universe disbanded, my chances are low.

Brutal Legends- Takes the term "niche game" to a whole new level. I'm pretty sure the only people who enjoyed this game were metalheads and maybe a few people who enjoyed the gameplay. I loved the setting, characters, and soundtrack. I would, love but probably never will, see a sequel to this game.

Prototype- Such a good series that fails with execution. I haven't played the second game yet, but if it is anything similar to the first game. It gets boring very fast. I would have loved to see some actually character development and maybe a female protagonist would have been cool in a third game.

Overlord- This one is kind of secondary for me. I haven't beaten the second game yet, but unless it wraps things up. I want more. The series has a great setting and is so much fun. I think the studio who made it was shut down.

A few others probably will receive sequels, not just the ones I want. Supreme Commander comes to mind for this.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
Disaster Report: There was supposed to be a PS3 entry for this, but the Fukushima Daiichi disaster happened the day after the game had been supposed to be released. The game was cancelled, and the studio folded, but refuses to give up the rights.

STALKER: Another case of the studio folding. Would love another game in this series, but it is unlikely one will ever be made.

I'm also with you on Rage, OP, I would love to see another game set in that universe. Hell, I'd take even just a combat racer set within the universe in the style of Jak X.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Bulletstorm: It was dumb as hell, but it didn't pretend to be anything else. I had a blast with the gameplay. I even kinda enjoyed the story, thanks to the aforementioned dumb factor. Sadly, I seem to remember that it didn't do so great financially.

Dishonored: Loved the setting, loved the visual style. The gameplay was okay, but crazy unbalanced to the point of being broken. Story very average by video game standards, i.e. utter garbage by any other standard. The tone was unrelentingly grim to the point of tedium. However, the setting had a ton of potential. Get a decent writer or two in there, add a bit of bloody restraint to the gameplay and you'd have the makings for an awesome sequel. We might actually get a Dishonored 2, since I seem to remember the game doing alright. But I suspect it'll just be more of the same "OMG, teleporting assassins are soooooo baaadass!"

Beyond Good and Evil 2: I want my charming, lighthearted setting with stoned Rhinos, pig mechanics and an earnest ass-kicking reporter protagonist damn it! The thought of what they could potentially do with modern engines and animation makes me slightly aroused. Although, knowing Ubisoft these days, it'd probably have auto-pilot gameplay. But hey, they're not totally soulless, so you never know.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Star Trek: Starfleet Command.

Take the mechanics of Star Trek Online, implement actual diplomacy options and heavily refine the ground combat/RPG leveling systems, and let us go wild on the four quadrants of the Milky Way? I'd buy that in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, I don't even know who's responsible for most Star Trek games anymore, but Activision was handling them back in the early 2000's when all of the good ones were abandoned, so I don't hold out much hope to see a return of that anytime soon.

Star Wars: Republic Commando.

I absolutely adored that game back in the day, and I still think it's damn fun even now when I can recognize the problems it has. In many ways it's "babby's first tactical shooter", but it's that simplicity that allows it to be such a solid transition in the first place. But again, all of the good Star Wars games were pretty much abandoned back in 2005 (shortly after the release of Republic Commando, as it happens), and who knows what's going to happen to the franchise now.

And perhaps not following the letter of the thread but rather the spirit, Warcraft.

I played World of Warcraft for five and a half year, and loved pretty much all of my time with it. But it also resulted in burning me out on the MMO formula for the most part. Even if not back to its RTS roots, I'd love to see the Warcraft world return to a single-player, story driven style. I've said before, I'd personally like to see World of Warcraft translated as best as possible into a party-driven open-world RPG.

Keystone

May 6, 2014
I second KOTOR. I could also go for a Jade Empire sequel.
Rogue Squadron
X-Wing/Tie Fighter
Alpha Protocol
Star Control 2
Suikoden
Tactics Ogre or the original Final Fantasy Tactics
Nexus: the Jupiter Incident
Fate of the World
Infinite Space
Kessen

I also want Obsidian to make a sequel to Fallout New Vegas.

axillarypuma

Dec 11, 2013
Crash, FUCKING crash bandicoot, I read somewhere that there was a rumour that Naughtydog was going to buy the ip again, I hope it's true.

Saga frontier, now this is a very niche series, but saga frontier 2 was absolutely fucking amazing, this is all personal opinion of course.

Also star ocean, because why not?

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
1. XIII. Really fun FPS, and the most Goldeneye-like game not made by Rare or Free Radical Design that I've ever played. Ended with a "To be continued..." and will probably never be.

2. I'd really like to see another Crusader game (i.e. in the series including Crusader: No Remorse and Crusader: No Regret). The controls were possibly the worst of any game I've ever dealt with, and yet I still found a fair bit of fun with them. Put decent controls on one of these games and I'd be all over it.

3. SWAT. Loved SWAT 3 and 4... would really just like more of the same.

4. Oni. I enjoyed it, and have played through it several times, but the world felt empty and there was a lot that could have been improved in a sequel. It seemed more like a good start than a great game.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Gotcha Force 2. It was a Capcom game made exclusively for Nintendo (Wii) but since most of their game floop on that console (Gotcha Force is so underrated) I doubt they will do it again.

Another Hostel Dusk/ Last Window game to make it a trilogy however the company that made it, Cing went bankrupt. The only way I can see a third game being made is another game company bought the right to it and make it.

Baron Tanks

Mar 3, 2013
I'll throw in another vote for KOTOR and Jade Empire. I really would love to play through another iteration of those games.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
I will also call for another KotOR game, just not made by Bioware, preferably Obsidian because i want competant writers and some one who will keep the d20 style gameplay.

Also Jade Empire would be fantastic... again i dont trust Bioware to write anything at the moment, unless Inquisition turns out to be amazing.

Republic Commando has also been mentioned and to that all i can say is ALL OF MY YES!

Another 2d Metroid title. This one may happen but the chances arent looking good, heck im scared that we may not get a Metorid title this generation after Other M pissed everyone off. But I would settle for a Prime-esc game.

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
Zhukov said:
Beyond Good and Evil 2: I want my charming, lighthearted setting with stoned Rhinos, pig mechanics and an earnest ass-kicking reporter protagonist damn it! The thought of what they could potentially do with modern engines and animation makes me slightly aroused. Although, knowing Ubisoft these days, it'd probably have auto-pilot gameplay. But hey, they're not totally soulless, so you never know.
I thought it's already in the making? Or at least rumoured to be?

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
Baron Tanks said:
I'll throw in another vote for KOTOR and Jade Empire. I really would love to play through another iteration of those games.
This.

Also I'd like to see a Vick3, but that will never happen. (The guy who designed Vicky's economic system was fired, and Paradox has been simplifying game mechanics to appeal to a wider audience)

Also, I always thought that we would never see a sequel to one of my favorite RTSs Homeworld 2, but I thought wrong!

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
WaveRace - cars are not the only way to race...
Diddy Kong Racing - ...you can also have hovercrafts and planes...
Knights of the Sky - ...taking about planes, why no simulation WWI dog-fighting...
SpyHunter - ...but if you really have to have cars, at least arm them with missiles...
X-Wing vs Tie-Fighter - come on the new Star Warses are surely the perfect time to resurrect this series

TheWiseScarecrow

Apr 29, 2014
Ihateregistering1 said:
Darksiders 3: I know Nordic Games bought up the Darksiders IP, but no word on if or when there will be a 3. Would be a shame, really want to conclude this saga.
That'd be lovely. I was wondering about the other two horsemen.

Elfgore said:
Brutal Legends- Takes the term "niche game" to a whole new level. I'm pretty sure the only people who enjoyed this game were metalheads and maybe a few people who enjoyed the gameplay. I loved the setting, characters, and soundtrack. I would, love but probably never will, see a sequel to this game.
I knew nothing about heavy metal before the game but it really made we fall in love with the idea! Though I think the story was wrapped up nicely, the gameplay could've used a bit more polish, so I'd love a sequel too, but yeah...never gonna happen.

Elfgore said:
Overlord- This one is kind of secondary for me. I haven't beaten the second game yet, but unless it wraps things up. I want more. The series has a great setting and is so much fun. I think the studio who made it was shut down.
Yes! Overlord! More Overlord! I loved harassing elves and bossing about minions:(

Dungeon Keeper. But a GOOD one this time.

Vampire the Masquerade. It's nice. But it could be GREAT.

Gnomes. I don't even think anyone remembers the game anymore, but I love it and it has potential.

Princess Maker. Just keep them coming.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
CloudAtlas said:
Zhukov said:
I thought it's already in the making? Or at least rumoured to be?
Yeeeaah... but it's been "in the making" for seven years. Last I heard was something about a next gen 2016-ish goal.

Thing is, the original absolutely tanked. It sold so bad that at one point copies were being given away free inside packets of cheese. (Yes, really. I am not making up any part of that.) So Ubisoft aren't exactly chomping at the bit for a sequel.

Plus, the main guy behind BG&E, one Michael Ansel, is also the main guy behind the new Rayman games, which, unless I'm much mistaken, have been doing alright both critically and financially (and deservedly so, they're good little games). So it's understandable that his overlords would prefer him to crank out Rayman then gamble their cash away on a passion project.

Jun 21, 2013
Zhukov said:
Dishonored: Loved the setting, loved the visual style. The gameplay was okay, but crazy unbalanced to the point of being broken. Story very average by video game standards, i.e. utter garbage by any other standard. The tone was unrelentingly grim to the point of tedium. However, the setting had a ton of potential. Get a decent writer or two in there, add a bit of bloody restraint to the gameplay and you'd have the makings for an awesome sequel. We might actually get a Dishonored 2, since I seem to remember the game doing alright. But I suspect it'll just be more of the same "OMG, teleporting assassins are soooooo baaadass!"
Bethesda did say shortly after Dishonored's release that it was going to become a new series for Bethesda, so there you have it.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
DishonoredElderSouls said:
Bethesda did say shortly after Dishonored's release that it was going to become a new series for Bethesda, so there you have it.

Yeah, didn't a fact sheet leak in march or so about a rumoured sequel to Dishonered? Darkness of Tyvia it was called, and would apparently be announced at this year's E3.

I loved Dishonered as well, mostly b/c it had a terrifying and authentic sense of place. I liked the story though, a simple revenge tale on the surface given meaning by the lore of Dunwall itself; with its corrupt elite, weird indoctrination methods and plague infested streets. The gameplay is fun but yeah, some skills are way OP and its way too easy to not use any stealth and just butcher everyone. It was probably their intent to have these multiple approaches but if direct attack is so easy to pull off it definitely needs some tweaking. Espescially in a game like Dishonered that revels in setting and atmosphere which would even be more powerful when the player is restrained.

Anyways I also really hope for another Legacy of Kain game(the MMO don't count). Amy Hennig penned one of the best vampire stories ever made in my opinion, perfectly suited for the videogame medium and I can't imagine what it would look like on a modern system. Since she's out of a job at Naughty Dog you never know there might be a possibility she's recruited by Eidos(or rather Squeenix) who kept the LoK IP idle for like over a decade now. Unlikely we'll ever see a true return to form(with the success of the Tomb Raider reboot I kind of hoped they would do the same with LoK) but you never know. :p

Terratina.

RIP Escapist RP Board
May 24, 2012
Resonance of Fate - A good JRPG with a stellar combat system, shame about how the story was handled though. The ending kinda feels a bit phoned in and the story could do with a little bit more expansion rather than the jigsaw puzzle of random bits and pieces we were given; I had to look up the damn thing on the wiki to understand what was going with the later chapters. Maybe a prequel is in order. However, just us give us another game about Hunters and their various antics in Basel. Sure, Vashyron's, Leanne's and Zephyr's story is kinda over some respects (I really don't want a sequel about adapting the changes the overall plot brought to the world.) but just give us more of that good, steampunk, gun-fu, somersaulting action.

Liquidprid3

Jan 24, 2014
Ty the Tasmanian Tiger- a Windows 8 game doesn't count!
We'll get one soon, but it's been a new 3D Mario game. Could help sell the Wii U.
A new edutainment game like Freddie Fish or Putt Putt
I think Bioshock might be done, but I hope not.
Obvious Half Life 3
Turn based Paper Mario game (with a level up system, actually fun, and good characters and story)
I'm excited for the fan made game, but an official Mother game would be nice. Shigesato said he's done, though. Would be nice to see more of a conclusion to 3.

And a ton of other dead series that were really good.