Games you've beaten in 2021.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
For me, yes. You get three games for $50. That's $16.67 per game. I bought this trilogy, because I like having physical copies of good or great games.

If you want to get the game on sale, or at a better deal, there is nothing wrong with playing the waiting game. Whenever the trilogy does go on sale for the physical version it'll probably be on sale at either $39.99 or $29.99. Definitely be worth it then, if that is what you want. Crysis 1 Remastered is on sale digitally for $14.99, but I know you want the whole thing, so those are your only options.
I've put quite a few hours into the original and beat it a few years back but I've never really played the sequels. The big complaint about Crysis 2 is the massive drop in graphics quality. Even today Crysis 1 looks better than 2 by a lot. I'm hoping they fixed that in the remaster. No idea about Crysis 3. I don't think it did well, kinda came and went without much fanfare.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The big complaint about Crysis 2 is the massive drop in graphics quality. Even today Crysis 1 looks better than 2 by a lot.
Crysis 2 looks amazing and even better with the remaster. Did you watch that ACG video I linked to you? If not, watch that or look at anything from Digital Foundry. I honestly don't care that Crysis looks better than Crysis 2. Crysis 2 is at least more coherent and does not turn in to Xen the last 1/3 of the game.

No idea about Crysis 3.
Crysis 3 looks amazing on PC and consoles, remaster version or not. Obviously, it looks even better on PC, but that's a no brainier. I will say that Crysis 3 is the best of the bunch in terms of gameplay, accessibility, and play style options. There are fewer missions compared to the previous games, but levels are freaking huge! Also, it brings back secondary objectives and has the best upgrade system. The game can be beaten between 7-10 hours depending on skill level and difficulty. 3 has more call backs to the first game, and has a fitting end for the series.

I don't think it did well, kinda came and went without much fanfare.
The entire franchise is an acclaimed flop; each game barely broke even. You have those that love all the games, only like one game, or don't care for either of them.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Shadow of the Tomb Raider - Started in December 2019, finished in January 2021. It's shit.
Ico - Second time.
Sly Cooper
Sly 2
- Very good.
Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb - My first Indiana Jones game. Liked it.
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Super Mario 3D World
Gravity Rush 2
- Took three years. The first game was simpler and better for it. Had stronger atmosphere too.
The Last Guardian - Took three years, but I'm glad I picked it up again. It's the kind of simple but big budget adventure game Sony would never, ever greenlight now.
Celeste - Very good.
Half-Life: Alyx - Pretty good as a proof of concept for VR. How does the ending make sense? Why would we have ever seen the alternate as Freeman? Dandridge was a better Alyx. The character is only five years younger than in Half-Life 2. That's a stupid reason to switch actresses.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Full completion on Metroid: Dread as long as nobody finds a secret ending somewhere. Good final ending CG. Got it on enough of a lock that I can reliably bang it out in an afternoon

Last edited:

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Bloodborne, but i had to skip the DLC because I fucked up on level ups.

No idea why this game is put on such a higher pedestal among the Souls games. Its good but still kinda feels been there done that. Even setting didn't really matter that much.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
The Last Guardian - Took three years, but I'm glad I picked it up again. It's the kind of simple but big budget adventure game Sony would never, ever greenlight now.
Nice to see someone else enjoyed that game. I feel like I'm one of the few people who really enjoyed it while a lot of people got hung up on Trico being a bit obnoxious to deal with at times(which kinda makes sense, considering Trico is a wild animal and not a dog. He literally tries to kill you at first).

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Bloodborne, but i had to skip the DLC because I fucked up on level ups.

No idea why this game is put on such a higher pedestal among the Souls games. Its good but still kinda feels been there done that. Even setting didn't really matter that much.
The Setting has a LOT to do with it, especially the whole "This looks like a gothic horror but turns out it's actually a cosmic horror with heavy lovecraft influences" it has going. I'd fucking vacation in Yarnhem you know, if everyone wasn't turning into monsters and doing their own take on The Purge.

The trick weapons, the sanity mechanic and the faster, more visceral combat also got a lot of people's attention and it doesn't hurt that it came after Dark Souls 2, which was, I'll be nice and call it flawed.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
And now I can add Metroid Dread to the list.

Samus returns to 2.5D, in a fusion of exploration and combat, to deliver a experience that's now always super, but is certainly far from zero. Beating it, I felt prime - it has echoes of other games in the series, but it hasn't been corrupted.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Blasphemous. I'm not completely done wit it because I need to do a little more work to get the good ending but that means another 1-2 hours probably.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Beat The Messenger. Including the Picnic Panic DLC and another 40 minutes on NG+ for Platinum. Fun game, meta humor that doesn't feel lazy or indulgent like Guacamelee 2, surprising depth to the mythology of the story for such a "light", spontaneous plot. Pulls off combat and traversal beautifully. The Metroidvania transition at the halfway point is bogged by what essentially boils down to fetch quests across old terrain, but it also includes some of my favorite new levels (and what I think is the prettiest art in the game). Mostly I wish you got new abilities to unlock in the second half that would add to combat/movement instead of items that essentially work like keys in the right context.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
First time:

Demon's Souls
Ender Lilies: Quietus of the Knights
Metroid Dread
Doom Eternal: The Ancient Gods pts 1 & 2
Little Nightmares 2
Ori & the Will of the Wisps

Replayed:

Banjo Kazooie & Banjo Tooie
Hollow Knight
Yoshi's Story
Donkey Kong Country 1-3

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Nice to see someone else enjoyed that game. I feel like I'm one of the few people who really enjoyed it while a lot of people got hung up on Trico being a bit obnoxious to deal with at times(which kinda makes sense, considering Trico is a wild animal and not a dog. He literally tries to kill you at first).
I love that Fumito Ueda world and it's unique flavor, I love Trico's design, animations, and sound design, and I love the overall vibe of the game, BUT controlling it is really, really terrible. Seriously, what stopped them from just lifting the climbing mechanics wholesale from Shadow of the Colossus? Just add a grab button, that's it. As is, latching on and maneuvering ontop of Trico never feels organic and gets in the way of the in-game bonding between you and him (or her).

The narration sticking it's big snout in during pivotal moments also ruins most of those scenes. And it's weird because Ueda's games previously never bothered with this kind of narrative mechanic, always leaving you alone in the quiet of those moments. But in The Last Guardian it's like they're scared you aren't getting what the game is trying to convey.

The game still looks better than the Shadow of the Collossus remake though. There's something ethereal about the visuals in Ueda's games that I can't say I've ever seen other games replicate. Also, the backstory cutscene is one of my favorite cutscenes ever, eventhough at that time I had stopped caring about cutscenes.

The way they animated Trico gliding up into the storm at 4:15 is fucking gorgeous.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Wow, we are in November but I think I finished the first game I went all the way through this year. It wasn't for a lack of gaming, I just replayed several games, played games w/o actual endings, or started a game and moved on before finishing it. But I finished Far Cry 6.

Hmmm.

Far Cry games really have trouble sticking the landing, and 6 is no different. The "walk off into the sunset" moment happened with a character that just 1 mission earlier I was hoping I'd get the option to kill. And it doesn't end. It continues on. Unlike 3, or 4, or 5... it just goes on. You can complete anything you hadn't (grind for 100% for those who care for that sort of thing) and it just resets some stuff for you to take over again and cranks up the difficulty. Say what you want about 3, 4,or 5's endings (and I will, they weren't good) at least they had endings. Oh well. 6 was fun while it lasted, but it gets uninstalled. And if I get a hankering for Far Cry, I'll probably go back to one of the others rather than 6 again. Now, back to playing through games I got for free on Epic and never played or at least never finished. I never did play Pathway.

Reactions: Dalisclock

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Well, I forgot this thread existed! After going through my steam library, here are some of my memorable ones (which do not cover all the games I've completed)

Fallout: New Vegas
I can't believe it took me 11 years after its initial release! All because I used to worship FO3 to death and thought NV looked silly. Well, my bias has been shattered to million pieces, and I can honestly say this is one of the best FO games ever. Granted, some mechanics and graphics feel really dated even with the mods, but I honestly had so much fun playing through the base game + all the dlcs. I loved the multitude of different endings triggered by me. It was really reminiscent of Dragon Age Origins endings.

While Fallout 4 is probably superior when it comes to combat and exploration, I honestly prefer NV due to its amazing writing, great characters, and more interesting world.

Imposter Factory
Some of you might be asking what the hell is this game. It's a sequel to To The Moon and Finding Paradise, the two narrative-drive indie game that has won many hearts over. Imp Fac plays as more of in-between sequel, setting up for the next major chapter of the series by the dev. While it does not hit as hard as TTM or FP, the story is still amazingly written and you will be left with unanswerable philosophical questions at the end.

Jedi Fallen Order
The game was just alright. Granted, it is probably one of the better Star Wars games in the recent years, and the combat and exploration gameplay are solid, the game as a whole just didn't leave a lasting impression with me.

Middle Earth: Shadow of War
It was boring. Even the orcs with colorful personalities couldn't save the game from being boring for me

Metro: Exodus
The core gameplay of stealth vs going loud is still there, loved the scavenging mechanics, and the story was decent too. My issue was that because the game decide to semi open-world, it abandoned its namesake. I miss the creepy metro tunnels. The open-world is barren and nothing really interesting is happening. Yeah, you can find group of hostiles or some psychos worshipping their new god, but there is only handful of them. Also, the game seriously restricts you on where you can and can't go

Cuphead
I had to put my fingers in an ice bath. The game was very challenging, and reminded me a lot of the old metal slug games at the arcade. However, the game's true strength lied in its classic cartoon-inspired presentation, with the soundtrack to match the theme! I love the devs effort of learning the old animation technique just to make this game. Fun fact: Playing this game while on discord was a silly idea, because someone on the call would scream and that would throw off my timing while fighting bosses, forcing me to restart.

Doom: Eternal
It was fun. There's all there's to it

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Rogue Legacy. Burnt through 138 heirs in about 17 hours before killing the final boss. Not much fanfare once you beat it - roll credits and then you're more or less expected to begin the cycle anew in NG+, dumping money on 20/75 stats and fighting remix'd versions of the bosses over and over. Fun game but that's it for me for a while now. And no way I'm gonna try get Platinum for it. Beating it under 15 heirs doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Rogue Legacy. Burnt through 138 heirs in about 17 hours before killing the final boss. Not much fanfare once you beat it - roll credits and then you're more or less expected to begin the cycle anew in NG+, dumping money on 20/75 stats and fighting remix'd versions of the bosses over and over. Fun game but that's it for me for a while now. And no way I'm gonna try get Platinum for it. Beating it under 15 heirs doesn't sound like a lot of fun.
When I played it I was darkly amused how many generations of the family died only to get a tiny bit further into the castle