Game's you've played that you think few others have experienced and really should

pulse2

May 10, 2008
Name a game or games that you've played that you think few others have played, if any. Feel free to show clips.

Mine are: Exhumed, Cyberia, Fatal Racing, Dark Reign, Populous, Ground Control & Tombi
/ Tomba

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mnhMF2CK84
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5owx-FvhF8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIU0nOCL-Ro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_oVTLmFX4o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZqvFsmmUGg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1SKZDIs-ZI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKeofSZiLKI

ScrubberDucky

Feb 17, 2011
Army Of Two and its sequel. They didn't get BAD ratings, the big boys actually gave them pretty favorable reviews, it's just that they're generally passed up as being more generic slime in the modern day military shooter landslide. #1 is underappreciated because of the unique weapon buying/customization system in a linear TPS and the Aggo system being rather hard to grasp for strategic use, and the sequel is underappreciated for all the improvements it made on the original.

Looking back, I have no idea if that last paragraph will be coherent at all.

EcoHulk

Aug 3, 2011
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic

My favorite combat system in a game I have played yet.

ChillzMaster

Mar 23, 2011
Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise. I'm guessing more than a handful of people remember one of the first notable titles from the Xbox's origins, but fewer remember the far superior sequel that came out in 2008.

Also, it was my first Xbox 360 game. It was the greatest thing ever until I plugged in Halo 3.

-Chillz

Pierce Graham

Jun 1, 2011
The original Age of Wonders from 1999. Hell, the whole series. I loved those games and still play them, but few people i know have heard of it.

IliaSeldania

Aug 8, 2010
Xenogears. I know it has its cult following, but it still deserves a bigger audience. I can understand how the battle system and pacing of late game turn people off, but the story is so incredibly well crafted and rewarding to figure out that it shames every RPG story that has followed it in that generation, and still does in my opinion.

Samurai Warriors 2 Xtreme Legends. Way too many people disregard the Warriors franchise as a button masher, which is just barely scratching the surface of what those games are. Beneath the seemingly endless mashing of attack there lies a fairly intricate combo system and enemy AI that is a lot of fun to play around with in all the Warriors franchise. For me though, no Warriors game comes close the depth that SW2 XL reaches. So many options of special skills and cancels, messing around with different elements and attack speeds to find the best combination of stats for that character, the sheer amount of options you have is staggering if you look for it. Many characters have infinites with the proper set up which in and of itself is a ton of fun to find. Not many people do take the time to find out the greatness of the series though, and that makes me very sad.

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
EcoHulk said:
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic

My favorite combat system in a game I have played yet.
Just got that game from a bin and I love it =)

OT: LOTR conquest, although I'm not sure if it was famous or not since it came out around 2009 and I was too into Fallout to care about anything from the outside world.

anANGRYkangaroo

May 15, 2011
Ive said this plenty of times, but Legend of Dragoon.
Also, anyone know the proper code for embedding video? I know stuff like [ img ] or [url= but what is the proper stuff for youtube?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsJomYdCA1Q
Its similar to Final Fantasy, but instead of just clicking attack, you must time your attacks for a combo, as shown in the video

Maxtro

Feb 13, 2011
E.V.O.: Search for Eden

Great little SNES game. You start as a fish and evolve your way though different forms; fish, amphibian, dinosaur, mammal thing then human. You can stop at whatever form you want from amphibian on.

Sadly it's not on the virtual console but it's easily found.

alouicia

Aug 7, 2011
Shenmue - Dreamcast. I still live in hope that someone might make a third installment.

ArtemusClydeFrog

Feb 1, 2011
Beyond Good & Evil was a real gem that didn't get nowhere near the awareness or credit it deserved. And now that is has got an HD re-release to prepare people for the sequel (the making of which honestly surprised me a lot, but hey, not complaining) there is no excuse for not giving it a go.
Great atmosphere, gameplay and story.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
pulse2 said:
Mine are: Exhumed & Tombi/Tomba
I played both of those, pretty darn good.

My big one, however, is Omega Boost. An excellent mech 3d space shooter with an excellent soundtrack if you buy it for the right region. Also Front Mission 3, as my avatar implies.

anANGRYkangaroo said:
[ youtube=AsJomYdCA1Q ]
That without the spaces.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
Sweet Home, Little Nemo: The Dream Master, Live A Live, Muramasa: The Demon Blade.

Sweet Home...well, I'm not sure how popular it is in Japan, but that's where it stayed. As a grim, gore-y game in the 80s, it would have been butchered in pre-ESRB censorship. It's a Capcom survival-horror RPG on the famicon (NES) that is based on a movie. One of the best horror games I've ever played. It has a mysterious story with a very sudden delivery. There's only a couple exposition-heavy scenes in the game. The rest is just old notes and hidden messages. The fast-paced turn-based combat helps too. You know how getting a gun that blows apart your enemies in one hit kind of ruins the atmosphere? In my experience, bigger numbers don't have the same effect as bigger guns. The lack of real combat animation or victory fanfare helps too...you never feel like a badass. Ever. For a horror game, that's perfect! This might just be my favorite Capcom game.

Little Nemo: The Dream Master...another licensed NES game from Capcom. This time, it's a wonderland-style adventure into a magical world. You play as a small, fragile child who befriends passive animals with candy and, depending on the animal, either rides them or wears a Mario-style suit (that possibly pre-dates Mario 3. I'm not sure). How fragile is he? His only attack is a stun, and the "friendly" animals can hit you before you bribe them with enough candy. I picked this one up for $5 at a Top Games today, and I'm loving every magical, excruciatingly difficult moment.

Live A Live. Another Japan-only RPG, this time for Square. Live A Live was released on the SNES (Super Famicon?). It's sort of Chrono Trigger's predecessor, but instead of time travel, you play multiple characters in shorter story arcs that make up a world's history. I started with a robot on a ship with some horror elements, now I'm playing a cave man who communicates through slapstick. I've only just started, but it's really intriguing.

Muramasa: The Demon Blade. The go-to response whenever someone claims there's nothing worthwhile on the Wii that wasn't made by Nintendo (and/or Capcom, Konami, Sega, etc.)
Here, look!

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Captain Commando. Like final fight with a tonne of charm and style/ Tonnes of weapons, mechs etc.

Lords of midnight. It was like playing lord of the rings. You could either build an army and win through combat or take the prince on a solo quest avoiding the armies out to find you.

Bushido blade: A 1 on 1 fighting game that was usually finished with the first strike.

Secret of Mana: Imagine the game zelda could have been only as a 3 player co op action jrpg.

Powerstone 2: People would stop raving about smash brothers if they had played this.

Venjamin

Apr 7, 2011
Wild Arms 1 - 4. The first had me locked in my seat for ages ( and subsequently, when Alter Code F came out, the remake, I was once again stuck. ;-; )

Darth_Murmeltier

Jan 5, 2011
Pathologic and the Void. These games aren't fun, but they are very unique experiences. These games will make you feel exhausted and desperate, Pathologic is kind of broken though, but also kind of beautiful (The Void is not broken). Both are very hard, but they have really brilliant stories, a mind blowing atmosphere and some interesting gameplay mechanics. You should at least try the demos.
Also a semi-episodic HL2 mod called Radiator, again a very unique experience. Probably the only game I know, that handles homosexuality in a mature way. Not all planned episodes have been realesed yet, there are two out there right now. And of course they are free!

So these are my suggestions.