Games you've wanted for years before finaly getting them and finding out they're actually just shit.

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
Closest match would be Doom 3 for me. I started playing Doom in 1994 and it and Doom 2 are still my favorite games. I was amazingly psyched for Doom 3, and when it finally came out it was amazing for the first few levels, and then I realized every level after it was exactly the same. Oh I picked something up and a monster teleported in behind me, oh I walked down a hallway and a panel opened and an enemy jumped out of it. Oh I walked down a hallway and monsters teleported in behind me and a wall panel broke open and a monster came out. It wasn't complete shit as it has a few decent moments, but it's probably the biggest disappointment I've ever had with a video game.

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
Assassin's Creed used to be "Project Assassin", and I followed its progress since the first piece of concept art was released:

It was made by the people who made my all-time favourite platformer (Sands of Time), and so my standards were especially high.

Of course, the game did not deliver.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
gof22 said:
Mercenaries 2. The Force Unleashed, it wasn't bad, just not what I expected it to be.
I read that as one game, and now I actually want a Mercenaries game with Force Powers.

Mercenaries 3: Blowing Shit Up With The Force and Guns

arcstone

Dec 1, 2007
Powerman88 said:
IT IS OKAY TO LIKE WHATEVER GAMES YOU WANT TO. EVEN HALO'S 2 AND 3. EVEN THE WII! (Just don't go around expecting everyone else to like the Wii. Yuk. My point is, however, you can not really argue taste)
Finally theres someone out there other than me which says that!

And I've had it up to HERE *hand gesture* with people that have this understanding that everyone that doesn't like exactly what he/she him/herself likes have bad taste.

PersianLlama

Aug 31, 2008
Resistance 2, I loved Resistance one, but number two just blew. In the first one, I played it all the time on co-op with my cousin, we'd beaten it 5+ times. Second one? Good thing I was in the beta because it felt like a mix of Halo 3 and CoD 4, not the good old Resistance 1 I yearned for.

And
FinalGamer said:
Final Fantasy VIII. I was high on RPGs, I was real young and had NO idea what Final Fantasy was really about, I thought because of the numbers it'd be continuing the story in the same world.
Where was Midgar!?!? Where's the materia!?!? WHAT THE HELL IS THIS JUNCTION SYSTEM!?!?
GOD I hate the Junction system, it's horrendously one-sided to me.
This. Even though you enjoy Jane Eyre. I wasn't really disappointed about the lack of materia, or it being not like FFVII, VI is my favorite anyways, but the Junction system was terrible.

arcstone

Dec 1, 2007
Mister Benoit said:
hmmm.. A lot of people are just naming games that they were disappointed with rather than games that you picked up years after release and then were disappointed with.

Anyways for me probably Shadow of the Colossus, It's a really cool game and I have gone through it but it was forced all the way through. The awkward controls, slow downs and camera were all too evident. Really hope they make another one so they can fix these problems.
Had some absolutely fantastic music, though. Cant argue against that.

Mikkelet

Mar 19, 2009
cainx10a said:
Counter Strike: Condition Zero
Mercenaries 2
Oh dear gods of Kobol, this one had to be the biggest letdown in video game history. How the hell do you ship such an awesome title without polishing it? The AI? Dumber than your average dork. Lack of a cover system, no fall damage, no damage from exploding vehicles, corny vehicle controls, and so much more.
Just. My. Words. D:

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Spore, I literally wanted it for years (2 years in total I guess), was almost freakishly obsessed with the game at some times, a real fanboy you might say. But when I bought it I only went through the whole spiel (bacteria > creature > bla bla bla) once, and I didn't even really play the Space phase. I fiddeled around with the editor a couple of times after that, then I deinstalled it and never touched it again. Biggest dissapointment ever.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
gof22 said:
Mercenaries 2. The Force Unleashed, it wasn't bad, just not what I expected it to be.
I read that as one game, and now I actually want a Mercenaries game with Force Powers.

That would suck too.

Fingerprint

Elite Member
Oct 30, 2008
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. I bought Pandora Tomorrow, loved it and then I decided to get Chaos Theory (well after it was released)... it doesn't hold a candle to Pandora Tomorrow.

Sgt Doom

Jan 30, 2009
Recoil. I played a demo of it ages ago. About 3 years ago it resurfaced in my memories as a nameless game I had tons of fun on, so I set out on a crusade to find it. When I did find it, I found it to be rather boring.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
gof22 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
gof22 said:

That would suck too.
That could very well be true...But it could be great mindless entertainment to telekinetically toss a mini-nuke at a starship or something.

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
Assassinator said:
Spore, I literally wanted it for years (2 years in total I guess), was almost freakishly obsessed with the game at some times, a real fanboy you might say. But when I bought it I only went through the whole spiel (bacteria > creature > bla bla bla) once, and I didn't even really play the Space phase. I fiddeled around with the editor a couple of times after that, then I deinstalled it and never touched it again. Biggest dissapointment ever.
Good one. I forgot about waiting a ridiculous amount of time for this one (ever since I saw that one video eons ago describing it on youtube, only to get it and find it completely watered down of anything that would have made it good. Damn the EA people that wanted to make it more "all-ages" appropriate...

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Probably Max Payne. It was a pretty good game, but they announced it with so much hype around 1998, and delivered on so little (except bullet time, which was still kickass).

I remember reading that the game had around 80 facial animations,
I remember reading that you could watch your bullets fly in slow motion as they entered the body of your enemies,
I remeber reading it would cure cancer...

It ended up having 2 facial animations (normal and grimming), having a sniper rifle with the bullet following, but still cured cancer (what do you know, eh?)

Lord_Jaroh said:
Diablo III...or at least that's what I'm really worried about...
We all worry...

This might be the best thread title ever

littletroll

Mar 20, 2009
X-COM 2 - As epic as the original XCOM was, terror from the deep was absolutely horrible.
FFX-2 - just seemed WAY to childish
FF12 - just seems to me that since squaresoft turn into square enix the FF's has gone to complete hell
DOW 2 - Not really a horrible game, but the campaign blows. didn't like the fact that you couldnt have a base in the camp.

FinalGamer

Mar 8, 2009
PersianLlama said:
Resistance 2, I loved Resistance one, but number two just blew. In the first one, I played it all the time on co-op with my cousin, we'd beaten it 5+ times. Second one? Good thing I was in the beta because it felt like a mix of Halo 3 and CoD 4, not the good old Resistance 1 I yearned for.

And
FinalGamer said:
Final Fantasy VIII. I was high on RPGs, I was real young and had NO idea what Final Fantasy was really about, I thought because of the numbers it'd be continuing the story in the same world.
Where was Midgar!?!? Where's the materia!?!? WHAT THE HELL IS THIS JUNCTION SYSTEM!?!?
This. Even though you enjoy Jane Eyre. I wasn't really disappointed about the lack of materia, or it being not like FFVII, VI is my favorite anyways, but the Junction system was terrible.
......you're just gonna hold that against me forever, aren't you? XD Ah well at least we agree on FFVIII, and who better than a black mage to agree with?

PersianLlama

Aug 31, 2008
FinalGamer said:
PersianLlama said:

And
FinalGamer said:
......you're just gonna hold that against me forever, aren't you? XD Ah well at least we agree on FFVIII, and who better than a black mage to agree with?
Maybe, at least your not like several of my classmates who thought Jane Eyre was the greatest piece of literature behind Twilight (You can see how knowledgeable they are about literature). At least we agree!

On topic: Unreal Tournament 3 wasn't great, at all. It just became the graphics of Gears of War (Steroids/not much color) on top of UT 2004, with some things removed.