Gamestation Defends "Sexist" Ad

herio

May 20, 2009
Art Axiv said:
I am a bad bad person because I giggled.
i did to but i think we giggle because we know its not meant to be taken seriously though joyless people allays have to nitpick

Benjamin Grin

Apr 22, 2009
What most of you are conveniently failing to remember is that, viewed in our social context, interpreting this as "You are cheap, this game is cheaper" is perfectly reasonable.

Let's say I said, "Codblops is easier then your mom." It doesn't matter that, in a literal sense, I could argue that I'm saying your mom is hard (Giggidy), what it will mostly be read as is, "Your mom is easy, Codblops is easier."

I don't know why, but the internet is some sort of useless hotbed for misogyny and ignorant, worthless fucks trying to pretend they have the moral high ground.

And to those of you crying that us poor, defenceless men are vicitimised on TV: Yeh, you're right. You know what? Do something about it. Write the company a letter. Don't buy their products. Make it unprofitable for them to release ads like that. Get off your lazy ass and do something about it rather than just sit and complain and mire yourselves further in the sickening internet culture of hating women.

TL;DR: Dear internet, STFU

Benjamin Grin

Apr 22, 2009
Also, at what point would it be more reasonable to ask someone to retire than to take down a fucking sign, one that probably cost all of fifty bucks for the entire run?

Jun 16, 2010
That's stupid. If it was a romance literature bookstore where 90% of the audience was female, and there was an ad that said "cheaper than your boyfriend", women would probably STILL be complaining that it's sexist because "it's implying that I NEED a man, even if it's fictional!" or something. Get over it...

NeutralMunchHotel

Jun 14, 2009
mr_rubino said:
*sigh* Broads.
EDIT: You stupid woman-animal, the poster was calling girlfriends expensive and games cheap, not girlfriends cheap. Dear Xenu, that's a pretty insane misinterpretation.
Are you always this fun to be around?

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Distorted Stu said:
Oh Gamestation.. how i hate you.

Im suprised in all honesty, its unlike us Brits to take offence to anything.
Brits dont take... YOUR BEING IRONIC RIGHT?!

Still what with general mistreatment of women happening all over the world the fact that people cant just ever laugh or side step this is perfectic.

It made me giggle and I have only the utter most respect for women, my mum and younger sister made sure of that... by beating me.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
This is a wonderful counterpoint to that article about the DA2 romances from Bioware.

I wish more gaming companies had people like those at Bioware - people who actually think for a moment beyond the demographics of the current majority group in gaming and stop pretending as though that group had some inherent moral right to service over all others.

(The "it's a joke, it's not sexist" people: notice how the joke doesn't work if you change it to "Cheaper than your boyfriend."? Funny how that works.)

SarahSyna

Jul 8, 2009
Well, I know now what game I'm never going to buy, and what place I'm never going to buy from. I love when places so clearly say that they don't want my business because they're too busy gagging for the attention of the subset of male gamers that are total pricks.

As an aside, when did sexism become edgy? It's the most boring, dull thing there is. If they really wanted to be edgy, they'd be feminists. Equality and true open-mindedness are far more controversial than 'humour' like this.

Cartman2nd

May 19, 2009
A harmless little joke, blown out of proportion by oversensitive women who can't read the difference between a joke and actual genuine hatred.

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
Ah, this is just a play on the fact that in the UK, there is a big thing amongst girls about Call of Duty being a major distraction to their boyfriends. Sort of like complaining about a football obsession in a non-geeky fellow. It is kinda funny, and in this day and age, the only way to move past sexual discrimination and sexism is to make light of the old ways.

Tomo Stryker

Aug 20, 2010
Eri said:
***** please. Beside the fact girls can have girlfriends, would she be upset at an ad that says "cheaper than your boyfriend"? Didn't think so.
I showed this add to my friend (which is a lesbian) and she got a great chuckle out of it. Although she was slightly peeved that it only applied to guys, but I didn't see her throwing a fit about this whole situation.

I quoted because you ninja'd me to "***** Please".

GeekFury

Aug 20, 2009
On the flip side they could put 'Games So Cheap To Keep Your Boyfriend Happy' to play off the sterotype that men don't like to spend alot of money.

SarahSyna

Jul 8, 2009
This isn't exactly 'making fun of the old ways' though. It's fairly clearly buying right into them.

(And those 'boy obsessed with CoD' jokes are bloody ridiculous as well. Because, y'know, all boys are such game-obsessed twits that they'll give a game a higher priority than someone they presumably care about. I hate misandry.)

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I'm a girl, and I thought that it was funny. My dad showed the ad to my mother and she also found it funny. Are we sexist as well? All it is, is a marketing ploy, the woman should not have gotten her panties in a twist.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
They would be pondering the stereotype if they went on about gamers not having girlfriends.
While this ad is still bullshit it IS progress. Somehow.

Aphex Demon

Aug 23, 2010
I give all my buisiness to GAME now anyway, the people who work there are nicer, and you can have a good chat with them...Same with my local single store retailer.

SarahSyna

Jul 8, 2009
Alucard:
If a woman acts sexist towards men or women, then yeah, she's sexist. It's not exactly a male-only affliction.

Siege:
Yeah, that's sexist, but so's this.

Exterminas:
If it's progress, then it's extremely poor. An improvement on a stereotype that puts down another group at the same time isn't exactly that good of an improvement. They could have gone against the 'gamers are losers with no girlfriends' stereotype without putting down girls.