GameStick Kickstarter Closes With 648% of Funding Goal

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
GameStick Kickstarter Closes With 648% of Funding Goal

Crowd-funding efforts for "the most portable TV games console ever" raised over $647,000.

GameStick, the surpassed that shortly after launching [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121310-New-Android-Console-Challenges-the-Ouya-on-Kickstarter#]. Even after meeting its goal, people kept contributing to the Kickstarter for incentives like additional colors and a microSD card slot. As a result, 5,691 backers pledged a total of $647,658, which is nearly 648% of GameStick's original goal.

Described as "the most portable TV games console ever created" by Playjam, GameStick is on track to be released in April 2013, according to a press release. Playjam CMO Anthony Johnson said that he was "overwhelmed, excited, grateful, thrilled, and everything in between," but added, "this is just the beginning." Johnson stated that the feedback from Kickstarter backers had been helpful in shaping GameStick's design, and Playjam will continue to seek supporter input.

If you missed out on the Kickstarter, you can still pre-order your own console on a stick at the Kickstarter-supported Android consoles [http://www.gamestick.tv/] set to launch in the coming months, along with the rumored successors to the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, 2013 is shaping up to be a very interesting year for the gaming industry.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
This definitely interests me. Plus since it is an HDMI connection I can abuse my HD PVR 2 even more than it already is being abused.
[sub]Fun to use converters to trick the auto resolution and upscale 480i and 480p games.[/sub]

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
This is news to me. I've never heard of it.

I struggle to see the practicality of a "portable games console" that still needs to be plugged into a tv. As the tv isn't portable in itself, it lacks any of the benefits of a hand held game, whilst lacking the library and computing power of a full sized console. The only time this is being useful is when you have to frequently move between two locations that both have HDMI capable tvs - but does't a hand held fill that niche anyway...without needing tvs? And it isn't as if most hotels are even HDMI friendly.

James Crosby

Apr 1, 2010
I have zero interest in playing mobile games on my TV. I have tons of interest in a device that can use emulators to play all the classic games of times past on my TV.

Once it gets rooted, it will be something to consider.

Upbeat Zombie

Jun 29, 2010
This is interesting. I hadn't even heard of this before. I'm still interested to see how the Ouya, and the successors to the PS3/360 turn out. But I guess I'll keep an eye out to see if this shapes up into something good as well.

AlwaysPractical

Oct 7, 2011
Considering the pretty negative first feedback to performance of the Ouya, I'm extremely carefully optimistic. I'll wait for some people to get back to me on how well it runs, that'll decide it between the ouya and this.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
SL33TBL1ND said:
More random junk. Who the hell is funding these things?
People who like silly random things.

It's not hurting anyone and in the end folks get to have some fun.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
First Time I heard of it. Good for them though. Glad to see people getting interesting stuff funded.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
theultimateend said:
SL33TBL1ND said:

Just because it isn't hurting anyone doesn't mean I can't be completely confounded by its existence.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
SL33TBL1ND said:
theultimateend said:
SL33TBL1ND said:

Just because it isn't hurting anyone doesn't mean I can't be completely confounded by its existence.
Never said you couldn't but much like your confounding of its existence I am confounded by your confounding.

Really what we have is a confounding dimension that curls in upon itself creating a confoundignation, a rare and magical thing.