GameStick's GDC Debut Brings Mobile Games to Your TV

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
GameStick's GDC Debut Brings Mobile Games to Your TV

The GameStick developers' kits will ship soon after GDC 2013.

GameStick, the mobile console that spectacularly conquered Kickstarter earlier this year - earning 648% of its funding goal [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121830-GameStick-Kickstarter-Closes-With-648-of-Funding-Goal] - is now a reality. But if you want to see it, you'll need to be at GDC 2013, where PlayJam intends to debut its little console that could.

"The demonstration will provide attendees with a first look at the GameStick User Interface," says PlayJam in a press release, adding that the display will also show off the "controller and some 30 titles due to form part of the initial line-up." Developer kits will be on their way out the door to Kickstarter backers soon after GDC shuts down. PlayJam's CEO, Jasper Smith, will also show his face at The Future of Mobile Gaming panel, on Thursday 28th March.

The GameStick, for those of you who its website has it. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121350-UPDATE-GameStick-Kickstarts-Its-Way-to-Mobile-Console-Glory]

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
so basically its a phone without actually being a phone that can connect to TV via Wireless?

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Strazdas said:
so basically its a phone without actually being a phone that can connect to TV via Wireless?
No, it's an android-based console that is the size of a USB stick that plugs into a TV via an HDMI port and connects to the 'net via wireless. For $80. Throw an emulator on there, and you've got a massive library of games on an already pretty neat little device!

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Baby Tea said:
Strazdas said:
No, it's an android-based console that is the size of a USB stick that plugs into a TV via an HDMI port and connects to the 'net via wireless. For $80. Throw an emulator on there, and you've got a massive library of games on an already pretty neat little device!
the image has a controller (quite ugly, but taste doesnt matter). so you have to carry a controller around and a USB stick which runs the console. the only thing i see that can be attractive here is that its so cheap.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Baby Tea said:
Strazdas said:
Right, so a PHONE with an HDMI cable. For another 20 - 40 bucks you can get an actual iphone that does all this, goes anywhere, makes phone calls, surfs the internet, and all the other applications a real phone has

EvilChameleon

Oct 18, 2010
TsunamiWombat said:
Right, so a PHONE with an HDMI cable. For another 20 - 40 bucks you can get an actual iphone that does all this, goes anywhere, makes phone calls, surfs the internet, and all the other applications a real phone has
Well, no, it's much more than another $20-$40, considering to do all those things you have to have a service contract, and those aren't free..

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Strazdas said:
the image has a controller (quite ugly, but taste doesnt matter). so you have to carry a controller around and a USB stick which runs the console. the only thing i see that can be attractive here is that its so cheap.
If you look, the USB stick fits into the controller when not in use. Pretty smart, actually. Carrying one means carrying them both.

TsunamiWombat said:
Aside from the pointing out that Android is more then merely a phone OS, you're missing the point of the device: It's an extremely small home console. An iphone is nice (Though I don't know where you buy a new one at $100, but whatever). It's portable, and does many things. It's also got a 8 or so inch screen. This, however, plugs into my TV. Which, incidentally, is a 40 inch screen. IT also has a controller, as opposed to an iphone, which has my finger either blocking the action, or a further reduced viewing screen for the game in question.

It's not meant to replace a mobile device, it's a very cheap, simple home console.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
I'm kind of curious to see if consoles like the Ouya and the game stick have an actual market. The idea is novel and it has the potential to expose more people to some of the better games on the mobile systems such as myself (I use a cell phone). On the other hand, the only titles that seem to come to mind for the mobile systems are plants vs. zombies, angry birds, and various Final Fantasy reboots.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Oh boy we flamin already in here...

The full cost of a smartphone will set you back $400+ and will always have horrific controls, where as this is at least close to normal in a very cheap format.
Only thing they need to prove now is that it can bring some proper fun and enjoyment with it's games, otherwise it is quite useless.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
These mini Android consoles are interesting, but many pundits have been dismissive of them actually having any kind of shot. I can't wait to see if that's the case or not. I would like to think that they do. Spending $100 for a game console instead of $500+ and the likely low prices for games could change the market for the better with true variety and competition.

I rather like the Gamestick's portability. But it would need a screen add-on to make it really portable. So I have misgivings on this one.

lostlevel

Nov 6, 2008
It sounds interesting, I like the idea but I think the controller although meant for portability, looks far too small for my hands.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Looks fun, but I don't see what's to stop Apple (or any phone competitor) from releasing a "TV Ariel Adapter". Surprised they haven't already actually.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
I hate it when people only see only see android devices as "just a phone". They're basically open source computers that you can do lots of stuff on. These devices would be a great way for indi developers to put games out and make money off them in addition to being a great way for us to access these games at a cheap price

laserwulf

Dec 30, 2007
I was all set to add to their Kickstarter pile of money... but then I found out that (according to them at the time) the Gamestick game library will be separate from Google Play. I've already bought games via Play, and I have no interest in re-buying them for a second device that I don't know how often I'll use. Sure, most of those games were cheap, but it's principle. I'd rather spend a little bit more for a full Android dongle with HDMI & Bluetooth, and then I could use my Bluetooth controller and install any/all games and other apps I want.