GameStop CEO Says "Wow" to Battlefield 4 Preview

Timothy Chang

painkillers and whiskey
Jun 5, 2012
GameStop CEO Says "Wow" to Battlefield 4 Preview

The next Battlefield game is readying up, and there's a Battlefield 3 sale to boot.

EA teased the existence of Battlefield 4 in a Medal of Honor: Warfighter trailer [http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xCMt69GbHzw], much to the surprise of Battlefield 3 players who had barely been playing the game for a year. That was a few months ago, and now a tweet by GameStop's CEO coupled with a Battlefield 3 sale suggests that the next Battlefield game may be generating some momentum.

A tweet on GameStop's official Twitter account reveals the CEO's reaction to the preview:
[tweet t=https://twitter.com/GameStop/status/303993777167667200]

Origin was quick to follow up on the message, announcing a sale on Battlefield 3 for PC and all its DLC packs on Origin:
[tweet t=https://twitter.com/OriginInsider/status/303998619265150976]

People who pre-ordered the late Medal of Honor: Warfighter Limited Edition will be granted early access to the Battlefield 4 beta, which is scheduled for fall 2013 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118523-Battlefield-4-Announced-in-Medal-of-Honor-Warfighter-Trailer].

Now that the "people tend to buy Battlefield for quite some time" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121799-Electronic-Arts-Drops-Medal-of-Honor]. We'll see how it all goes as more details on the game surface.

Battlefield 4 is expected to arrive in the latter half of 2013.

Anathrax

Jan 14, 2013
Wow! That's so much bloom! Look at this screenshot!
And that's a night level! REALISTIC ENOUGH FOR YOU?!

And so it begins again. The console war is on the horizon and the FPS war is dawning. Stock up on your diapers, there be a crapstorm brewing.

Sarcasm aside, I find it hard to be sold over a game because Gamestop told me to by hyped. Not much expectations, but it's Dice we're talking about so it might be good. Your opinions gentlemen?

Dec 14, 2009
Gamestop CEO says 'WOW!' to the huge piles of money the game will undoubtedly make his company.

He's very well not going to says it's terrible now, is he?

I'll just be over here, playing TF2, the best FPS ever.

Mojo

Jun 2, 2011
Well, they lost my sale when they decided to charge 15? for the 4-map DLCs and then decided to release the "premium" service for 50? but decided to also bundle it with the core game for 50?, essentially giving it free to anyone who didn't buy the game in the first three months, yet still expect me to buy the premium thing for 50? even though Id already spend 50? on the game and 30? on the first two DLCs.
Heck, BC2 got about 5 or 6 new maps in free updates and had the Vietnam expansion which also cost 15? for a way more content then the BF3 DlCs.

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
This game is going to get so much hate towards it solely based on the fact that it's published by EA

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Gamestop CEO says 'WOW!' to the huge piles of money the game will undoubtedly make his company.

He's very well not going to says it's terrible now, is he?

Yeah, wouldn't be quite the same punch to RT "What the fuck is this?"! Though to be fair, "Wow" on its own could be taken in a number of different ways. Ill probably still check it out but the last one didn't really blow me away.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Daystar Clarion said:
*hat simulator

Still, I also think he said "wow" to the money and not the game.

Octorok

May 28, 2009
Hahaha. What I love is that the big Battlefield 3 Origin sale, despite it now being 2013 and well after the release of the game, slashed the price of the Premium Edition from £45 to £26.

But Battlefield 3 Premium Edition has been sold on Amazon for at least a year at about £32. Literally the standard retail price for this game is about as good as their sale price (in relation to the £45 original price tag). EA really, really have no clue how to conduct business. See also: all the Sims 3 releases on the Origin home page. Hundreds of pounds of DLC. £30 "expansions" that are small, inconsequential features.

In fact, Sims 3 is some kind of money-grabbing utopia. A full price game, with over-priced DLC, AND in-game microtransactions. Fuck off, EA, and get your malarkey out of my Battlefield.

I know that BF3 is just Call of Duty-aping modern military shooter crap, but the multiplayer is kind of fun in its own way. But the more I see of EA fiddling with the release schedule and content plans, the more I see a once-great franchise pounded into muck by EA's Icarus-like hubris. Their preposterous greed.

And now I'm sad.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Well I honestly hope it wont use Battlelog to launch the game. It's not a bad stat hub but it shouldn't be in place of a server browser or even a simple menu. I'll be waiting for the "It launches in moments!" excuse which smells remarkably like bullshit.

Also, they still haven't fixed a number of bugs in BF3 that have been present since day one. So there's that.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
I'll only ever get the next Battlefield if EA stop adding price tags to everything from their shitty £40 season pass which makes individual DLC's cost more in the end and private servers that outweigh the public ones which reduces fair play to absolute zero.

It's the main reason I put down BF3 and I won't be picking up a new BF any time soon if they keep with the same money gouging practices, I just want to buy the damn game once and not be told I need to pay another extra £40-50 to enjoy it a little more.

Apr 5, 2008
They want us to celebrate?? What, shall we have parties, get drunk and offer praise and songs to the gods for giving us the bounty of BF4?

Another brown, linear, modern-military shooter, pfffh. Anyway, assuming it, like all recent EA titles, will be Origin-exclusive, I wouldn't get it based on that alone.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Considering the transition from bad company 2 to battlefield 3 this will probably have even more dumbed down destruction physics to accommodate consoles (This is what you could do in the alpha before the design focus shifted to consoles) the gunplay will be crappier and the sounds will be worse
(this is what the game was like in alpha before the design focus shifted to consoles) And it will be even more dumbed down and simplified for the: sexist, homophobic, racist, kill whoring teens infesting the consoles who refuse to play a game that isn't 'run around and shoot things.'
( not all console gamers are like this but you know the kind of people i'm talking about.)

Don't we just love consoles /sarcasm

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
teqrevisited said:
Well I honestly hope it wont use Battlelog to launch the game. It's not a bad stat hub but it shouldn't be in place of a server browser or even a simple menu. I'll be waiting for the "It launches in moments!" excuse which smells remarkably like bullshit.
As bad as battlelog is, considering DICE's inability to make an in-game server browser that works, it's probably the lesser of two evils.

As for the game, will now become like CoD with a yearly release schedule of map packs.

When will this 'modern warfare' scourge die? T_T

My kingdom for an awesome Vietnam game please.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Only information this includes is: Battlefield 4 will not be download-only and will be re-sellable. Translation: It will make GameStop money. Loads.

I would say "I smell shenanigans", but it's hard not to smell blatant advertisement when you're standing knee-deep in it.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
I can deal with the DLCs and all that but just please...give it a two year life span at least? I'd never buy a battlefield game if it's DLC is going to be as relavent in a year as MW3's is now. (Does anyone even play MW3 anymore?)

juyunseen

Nov 21, 2011
Given how much of a disapointment BF3 was to me, I wont be interested unless they suddenly dropped back to WWII, then I'd at least look out of surprise.

Hey EA. Want me to buy a battlefield game? Remember when you made BF 1943 a few years back? *hint*Battlefield 2143*hint*

Think about it.

Epidemiix

Custom Title Yay!
Jan 3, 2012
People who pre-ordered the late Medal of Honor: Warfighter Limited Edition will be granted early access to the Battlefield 4 beta
What, all 17 of them?

.....Had to get that out of my system. XD

I hope that is a somewhat enjoyable game that does not have a single-player experience that is just tacked on. I had enough anger from EA and DICE from what happened with Battlefield 3.

Mar 30, 2010
I said "Wow!" the first time I played Battlefield 3.

Mind you, the full sentence was: "Wow! I can't believe I've forked over £40 for this pile of QTE-ridden shite!"

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i think i just stick with BF3. already payed for the premium crap on top of it but at least the new maps are actually nice and fun to play.
but BF4. not really hyped about it.