Gamestop "giving away" the chance to preorder a Switch.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Just came across this

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/nintendo-switch-pre-order-gamestop-open-1000-reservations-random-stores-saturday-583723

This... this is just terrible. They're already in hot water with that circle of life crap. Did they not care?

Dr. Thrax

Dec 5, 2011
I just got the e-mail about that an hour ago and had to laugh.
It's not a good omen when you can't just walk into the store and say "I want to pre-order this."
Nonono, you need permission to pre-order that, silly!

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
http://www.robshep.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/jesus_facepalm.jpg

Yeah, think imma sit out the Switch for a year or two.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
erttheking said:
http://www.robshep.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/jesus_facepalm.jpg

Yeah, think imma sit out the Switch for a year or two.
At this point you're pretty much forced to if you live in the US.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
I feel as though this is the culmination of all the shit the silent majority have been eating up for years now. The end product of it all: the limited opportunity to pay the Resident Franchise of Ultimate Evil (otherwise known as Gamestop) hundreds of dollars for a new console.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
inu-kun said:
So they randomly give out pre orders due to it running out? Maybe they should have pre orders for the pre orders.
Pre-order your pre-order for the next console after the Switch! We don't know when it will come, but you'll have a guaranteed pre-order spot once it becomes available to pre-order! (100 pre-order pre-order spots available per store)

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
I'm just amazed that this thing is already approaching Wii levels of interest; perhaps even more. It's like the casual rejuvenation.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I feel like I must be missing some context here because everyone seems to hate this idea...

Because I don't hate the idea. I think it sounds like a much more fair way to distribute the pre-orders. Rather than just have it be a first come first serve basis (so I hope you're not working on at that time or that the first couple of people aren't just hawkers looking to cash in on a new system with eBay), it gives everyone who wants a shot at getting one a shot.

But again, I'm assuming I'm missing some kind of context or maybe I read this wrong because people seem awfully mad about this...

GreyNicor

Mar 5, 2014
tippy2k2 said:
I feel like I must be missing some context here because everyone seems to hate this idea...

Because I don't hate the idea. I think it sounds like a much more fair way to distribute the pre-orders. Rather than just have it be a first come first serve basis (so I hope you're not working on at that time or that the first couple of people aren't just hawkers looking to cash in on a new system with eBay), it gives everyone who wants a shot at getting one a shot.

But again, I'm assuming I'm missing some kind of context or maybe I read this wrong because people seem awfully mad about this...
You're missing the third option people want: enough stock so everyone who wants to can pre-order.

OT: I'm not sure how it is with pre-orders here locally but I'm not even going to bother, backlog is big enough while my wallet isn't, and a year into release hopefully more games will have released.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
GreyNicor said:
You're missing the third option people want: enough stock so everyone who wants to can pre-order.

OT: I'm not sure how it is with pre-orders here locally but I'm not even going to bother, backlog is big enough while my wallet isn't, and a year into release hopefully more games will have released.
Except, why would you bother with a pre-order to ensure you get a console if there is going to be enough stock for everybody anyway? It renders pre-orders obsolete. We very well can't have that, now can we?

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
GreyNicor said:
tippy2k2 said:

My fourth option is to give the most disappointing thirty seconds of her life to Natalie Portman on a pile of my lottery winnings but I don't imagine that's going to happen either :p

If Nintendo doesn't release enough stock to cover preorders, this seems like the best way to determine who gets one is what I'm trying to say here...

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
tippy2k2 said:
GreyNicor said:
tippy2k2 said:

My fourth option is to give the most disappointing thirty seconds of her life to Natalie Portman on a pile of my lottery winnings but I don't imagine that's going to happen either :p

If Nintendo doesn't release enough stock to cover preorders, this seems like the best way to determine who gets one is what I'm trying to say here...
Yeah, but there's the problem of Nintendo seemingly deliberately under-shipping to create artificial scarcity. The NES Classic? Shipping less then a dozen units to major retailers, knowing full well how BS that is.

There's also the issue with Gamestop apparently punishing their employees(threatening to cut their hours or fire them) if they don't get enough customers to pre-order something. At least that's the impression recent articles about their "Circle of Life" program have given.

So this is pretty much a double whammy. Nintendo screwing over their fans with lack of product and gamestop screwing over their employees(and no doubt their customers) with this bizarre obsession with pre-orders(and used games, though they make a lot of profit from used games).

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Johnny Novgorod said:
Pre-order the pre-order? We need to go deeper.
Between Nintendo?s fetish for short-supplying their hardware and Game Stops hard on for pre-orders, I?m placing a prediction for Nintendo?s next console: Only at Game Stop!! Pre-order your pre-order for a ticket to enter into a lottery to win the chance to shake hands with a guy who knows a guy who once saw a guy who said he thought he overheard another guy talking about being in the same room with a guy who was thinking about the new Nintendo Suxdyk!! Act now!!