Gamestop - Just let me buy my game(s) in peace.

dirt_empire

Oct 19, 2008
Quixestic said:
dirt_empire said:
The only reason I go to GameStop anymore is because I get a employee discount (Barnes and Noble owns GameStop) on used games. Certain things I would never consider buying new (.hack games, Resident Evil DS) and older games (Republic Commando). 20% is 20% and I love it. Best Buy is my friend otherwise even though their customer service is no better.
I never knew Barnes and Nobles owned Gamestop!

Learn something new everyday - I find it nifty, however, that your employee discount extends to there, though.
Really quite cool. Though GameStop employees get ours as well.

Mr. Purple

May 1, 2008
I feel for you dude. they had no right to do what they did in either case. In the first case i would have contacted a manager and had the chewed out for harassment and then been on my way with my NEW game.
In the second scenario, i wouldve been furious and they wouldve had to put up with me bitching until someone at least apologized.

Beffudled Sheep

Jan 23, 2009
Country
Texas
Wow i must be lucky. The Gamestop by me is down by Hudson Mall. Its a terrible mall but has a great Gamestop. I once tried to buy a used copy of GTA4 for $40. and the guy went to the back where they keep the brand new games and sold that copy to me for $35!

I was also on an elder scrolls binge on day and bought Oblivion goty edition, morrowing goty edition, and daggerfall, and the girl working that day gave me a copy of Arena for free!
My Gamestop was also an EB-games once so maybe that has something to do with it.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I came across this one Gamestop that my family has dubbed "terrible" because the employees lacked massive tact. I do too, generally, but I also don't handle customers (no job). I was helping my mother pick out a PSP game and we tried asking if any of the current workers have played it. Neither of them did.
So far, that's fine.
But when we gave the name one of the workers said it "sounded lame" which is BAD on their part. It just seemed disrespectful.

The game was "Fading Shadows" BTW, and yes. It did suck. But the guy's comment was still uncalled for.

blanga

Apr 1, 2009
I didnt know gamestops were that bad.
Mines nice they let me return games for full price for no reason within 7 days so i use to just play the games then return them and get a new one. I dont do that anymore but i could.
Also mine lets you choose between cash and credit.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
blanga said:
Also mine lets you choose between cash and credit.
Um. That's part of their job, and has nothing to do with them being nice are dickwads.

MisterLillie

Mar 18, 2009
You should f******g burn that GameStop to the ground. They all seem like arrogant pricks that think there better then every gamer that has ever gone in there. THere is an EB games near my house. I f******g refuse to go in there. The GameStop people near my house are really nice though. So I think It's just where you go.
You have every right to be anal about the used games you buy. You have even more reason to be about new games. Screw those guy, they are clearly douchebags.

The Steel Ninja

Mar 31, 2009
Anyone ever have the clerks nag at them to get a Game Informer subscription? I've let my subscription run out (can't stand the magazine, poorly written, childish drivel with puerile humor) and sometimes they'll nag at me about it. I like the clerks at the one I visit most often, but still, I sometimes get nagged with questions like "any new games you want a pre-sell on?" and the like. Oh yeah, anyone ever call them to ask if they had a game (usually the used ones) in stock, they said no, and if you go over there yourself within the next few days, they DO have that game? Wow, thanks for checking for me.

JAM101

May 8, 2009
Wow you guys are crazy ocd just calm down. Did you ever think maybe the game got traded in the next day? we do get trade ins every day.. did you think of that. And your really that mad about a none sealed game.. we really don't care if you buy new or used we just ask. Honestly if you hate the store why do you spend so much time thinking about it and talking about it. And yea they Def should have given you the 2$ back. they were new.. really though its 2$ calm down. Its not worth burning gamestop down over. OCD is treatable I promise.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
While I think you are a bit picky about your games, like, WAY TOO PICKY. I can understand the disc being clean and the instructions being there, otherwise, who really cares? Do you display your boxes in your room as an art piece or does it sit on the table or floor like mine do? I'm really hoping on the latter, or seriously....wow. Anyway.

I've never had any of those kinda problems myself, it may be the area you live in. The Gamestop employee's by me are usually pretty cool people, the managers are all high and mighty thinking they are something being the manager of a Gamestop, but the general people don't even bug me repeatedly for a reservation, which I even give them if they are cool to me. They tend to like you when you walk in JUST to renew my Game Informer subscription. I always ask "Which one of you guys needs an extra sub this week" and they look at me dumbfounded that I just said it. (I've worked at a Gamestop in my lifetime).

They TOTALLY should have mentioned the price to you and if confronted only charged you 4.99. You can nail them at the BBB for that shit.

Next time one of those people give you shit, ask to speak to the manager (chances are likely they are not on the floor, ever). Explain everything, including your feelings on the matter and you'll not only get what you want, but you'll get the idiot who pissed you off reprimanded. 3 Writing Warnings = Termination.

Generator

May 8, 2009
A while back, my sister and I really wanted to play 007: Nightfire, but, since I sold it awhile back, we didn't have it. So, I called up Gamestop and they had one! Said it would be $7 and they'd hold it for me for an hour (because you know what a high demand game it is, so God forbid they hold it any longer).

Anyways, after getting there and waiting in line for no less than 20 minutes, I finally made my way to the counter to find that the game disc they had (the only one!) was badly scratched. The worker said it would definitely skip and probably wouldn't even work! HONESTLY?! They couldn't have told me that when I was asking for one?!

So, luckily, a Gamestop pretty close to that one had the game and it was actually in pretty good condition, but that day will stick in my head forever.

Oh, and 2 days later said he had Nightfire and would give it to me. FML

Makon

Jul 9, 2008
It really just depends on who is running the store and the district, it seems. I work at a Gamestop up in Western Washington, and all the time I hear complaints about some of our stores in neighboring cities, which prompts them to actually drive out of town to stop by us. [We are the largest store in our district, and we offer the best customer service we possibly can.]

I think that most Employees of our chain can be summed up quite well as a couple posts in this thread have detailed: Summer-job reject students, and just plain douches and jackasses who don't care.

Scenario 1: I completely understand you here on the wrapping, I myself will not buy a 'gut' copy of a game, as they are called. I bloody well even work there and I won't! For me, if a game is new, it has wrapping around it. End of story. So, if a customer ever does come up and we only have the gut left, I always check with them if that is okay with them, and if not, call around to a couple other locales and find one that has some sealed. You are entirely in the right here, so next time stand up and tell that employee that you don't give a crap what s/he thinks about the wrapping, just to make a call and look for one.

One reason for this, though the people at my store do not do it, is a little known fact. A perk of employment at Gamestop is you can 'check out' a game for up to 4 days at no cost. When a new game has been out for two weeks or more, an Employee can check out a NEW COPY of the game, not even a used one, but the very same copies they are telling you have 'never been played', and 'only been stored'. This is one reason I will not buy a gut.

Scenario 2: I can't find a 'logical' reason why an employee would swap the cases on you, but that's assuming that the workers at your particular stores have enough of a brain to actually have it oozing out their bung. Which it sounds like they don't. I end up always checking over the pricing of everything after it rings up at the register, and if there is a case like that, I will knock that sucker down without a moment's thought. It's the price that is marked, and it's the price they shall receive [unless it's lower, in which case savings for all!].

It just seems to me that you have to be in a decent area to have a Store Manager who hires competent people, and to find a decent District Manager who keeps up on his Store Managers and staff to make sure that they are helping the people that come to them. But I must agree, I think I've heard far more complaints out of mall stores then ones outside of a mail, such as there is one store I just flat out will not ever go to because their Store Manager is a royal [you'd like to know, wouldn't ya?], and I'll gladly tell people that too, since I get quite a few complaints out of that store.

Biggest thing: if you ever have a problem with your local stores, ask for their DM's number and give them a call. Don't just skulk out because some Games Associate [Really? We can't just call ourselves Sales Representatives?] was trying to see how far he could stuff a stick up his rectum before it bled and you interrupted with a question. Make something happen of it. If anyone tries to tell you that they "can not just hand out their DM's phone number", tell them to go to hell, and that it is the law that they must provide a line and capacity to file a complaint, of which a DM himself has logged against his stores and district, and must take care of themselves. As such, they generally would like to keep that to a minimum.

Go Customer Rights!

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
I stopped shopping at the mall Gamestop in my town around the time the following exchange happened:

Me: *brings copy of Europa Universalis III up to the counter*
Gamestop Idiot (GSI): "Do you want to pre-order Halo 3?"
Me: "No, thanks, not really my thing" (which you'd think was obvious---unless he thought "Europa Universalis" was a first-person shooter?)
GSI: "Dude, it'll be awesome, you should preorder it."
Me: "Just ring this up, please."
GSI: "You sure? Only five bucks to reserve a copy?"
Me: "Listen, fuckwit. I just came in here to buy a PC grand strategy game. A game about Europe, 1453-1789, just like it says on the box. I don't own an XBox 360 and before you ask, no, I don't want to buy one. You are an ignorant ass and if I didn't want to play this game right now I'd go home and order it off Amazon just so your company couldn't have my forty bucks. Now ring up my fucking order."
Manager (walking over): "Is something the matter?"
Me: "Besides the fact that you hired a retarded chimp to work for you? Not unless he won't just ring up my order, take my forty bucks, and give me my game."
Manager (nervous): "Of course, sir, will that be cash, credit card...?"
Me (whips out debit card): "Debit."
Manager: *rings up order* "You know, we've got great deals on preorders."
Me: "I know. Monkey Boy here told me all about them. Five bucks gets me a game I don't want to play for a console I don't own. And that's why from now on I'm doing all my game shopping at the Best Buy across the street. You just lost a customer. Thank you and fuck you."

santaandy

Sep 26, 2008
Don't. Shop. At. Gamestop.

That is all.

---

In all seriousness, Gamestop is little more than a legal pyramid scheme. They treat their employees like slaves, their customers like living wallets, and their games as disposable. They are not just *an* insult to gamers, they are *every* insult to gamers.

You guys should watch GunStop and Zero Originality on YouTube if you haven't.

The point is, the more you give them money and/or put up with this, the more they will do it.

Don't. Shop. At. Gamestop.

mrhockey220

Apr 20, 2009
I once tried to sell a new copy of Midnight Club LA that I had literally owned for only a week and my rockband guitar and mic. I did this in hopes to buy Left 4 Dead which looked epic at the time. The guy at the counter only gave me like 26 bucks for the week-old, mint condition game and 8 bucks for the guitar and mic. I felt ripped off and im never selling them anything back again.

Azeban

Sep 27, 2008
Uggh. Why does it have to be a damned chain though? Why can't Mom and Pop sell games. Come to think of it, I've only seen one store in my day that sells games that isn't part of one of these chains.

mtk2a

Sep 11, 2008
The two Gamestop locations near my residence both stopped selling PC games a long time ago, with the exception of The Sims and World of Warcraft. Therefore I haven't stepped foot in one for a long time. Yay for me.