GameStop Leaks Vita Memory Card Pricing

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
GameStop Leaks Vita Memory Card Pricing

The PlayStaton Vita's proprietary memory cards have been priced, and they cost a small fortune.

The PlayStation Vita's memory cards are notable for two reasons. Firstly: they're proprietary, which is wonderful if, like me, you really wish it was still 2001. Secondly, assuming these listings from GameStop [http://www.gamestop.com/ps-vita/accessories/32gb-playstation-vita-memory-card/98472] are right: they actually manage to cost around ten times more per gigabyte than Microsft's already absurdly overpriced 250GB harddrive - which is an achievement unto itself.

The memory cards come in 4GB, 8GB, 16GB and 32GB varieties, and are priced at $29.99, $44.99, $69.99 and $119.99, respectively. Since the Vita has no internal storage, you'll need to add the price of one of these babies when you're figuring out how much the system is going to cost you. Assuming, of course, you want to be able to, you know, save your game and stuff like that.

Source: Gamestop [http://www.gamestop.com/ps-vita/accessories/32gb-playstation-vita-memory-card/98472]

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
What the hell Sony? What the hell? I would expect Microsoft to pull a stunt like this but you? Well I'm not angry just... dissapointed.

Blimey, even your cousin that we're all too ashamed to talk about, 3DS, has an upgradable SD card.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Hurray for overpriced gimmicks! Now excuse me, I've got to wipe the dust off of my Terrabyte hard drive that put me back $100.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
That's what they always do though. Remember the original cost of memory cards for the PSP and PS2?

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Yeah, I'm going to wait until I hear the official pricing from Sony because I'm having a hard time believing that's the actual price. Granted it might be in the ball park of that price, but this is Gamestop and they have a tendency to jump the gun on pricing.

I will still get the Vita, but I think I'm going to wait for a while until the memory card price is reasonable, assuming that's the actual price.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well... with those prices im only getting the 8GB at best and that assuming i even get a Vita now.

CustomMagnum

Mar 6, 2009
... Wow, that's really expensive. I mean, even going by what amazon lists the list price (the price they constantly ignore to undercut the price by like, ten time) that's still twice as expensive as an SD card.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Why are people surprised. Sony make proprietary storage media and charge a fortune for it. From betamax to minidisc

Umatic (~1968)
Betamax (1975)
Betacam (1981)
Compact Disc with Philips (1982)
3.5 inch Floppy Disk (1982)
Video8 (1985)
DAT (1987)
Hi8 (1988)
MiniDisc (~1990)
Digital Betacam (~1990)
miniDV (1992)
DVD with others (~1995)
DVCAM (1996)
Memory Stick (1998)
Digital8 (1999)
Universal Media Disc (~2003)
HDV with JVC (~2004)
Blu-ray Disc with Panasonic and others (2006)
Playstation memory cards

Some go on to market success like 3.5 inch fdd or blu-ray, most fail though. This is the most obvious thing that with a new device Sony would bring out a proprietary storage medium for it. If fact they invent media, then try to decide which of their upcoming products they will lumber with it. This was as predictable as the Sun rising in the morning.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
Just to compare - you can get a 32GB SD card for 30 bucks. There is one disadvantage though, at least for Sony - had they used normal memory cards they wouldn't get 100 dollars every time someone buys a gimmick that costs 1$ to make.

Zoe Castillo

Mar 4, 2011
Don?t do this Sony ?.. I really want to love the vita .

The psp was a criminally under supported platform but it was still really, really awesome. And until now the vita was looking to continue that , so don?t just don?t??????

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
wait... people are surprised at Sony selling overpriced stuff?

On completely unrelated note: Water is wet. Just in case you didn't know.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Bluray was successful because the market was ready for an upgrade to dvd technology. The sd card market is just fine and this isnt an upgrade. Sony's higher end cameras used propietary memory cards too, but finially broke and take sdhc now so there you go, throw it at the wall and see what sticks I guess.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
*Sees prices* DAMN. Guess I'll just have to be careful with...
*no internal storage* Are you kidding me? Even the 3DS managed to get THAT one right. Plus, it came with a free SD card.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Well... nice to see them forging ahead with PSPGO-2 exactly as planned.
Another thing to add to the not-for-christmas list.