GameStop Now Taking Wii U Reserves

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
GameStop Now Taking Wii U Reserves

The world's biggest gaming retailer is offering trade-in bonuses for gamers pre-ordering the Wii U.

With the Wii U release date and price revealed earlier today, it was only a matter of time before major retailers started taking pre-orders for the console. GameStop, the world's biggest gaming retailer, announced that gamers can now reserve the Wii U at their stores. Additionally, GameStop is offering several trade-in bonuses for gamers looking to put money towards the Wii U.

For those looking to trade in old consoles, GameStop is giving $50 trade-in credit for Wii systems; $90 for the original Xbox 360, PlayStation Vita, or 3DS; $115 for an original PS3 or slim Xbox 360; and $140 trade credit for a slim PS3. PowerUp Rewards members can get $10 extra credit on each of the aforementioned trades.

An employee at my local GameStop informed me that a $50 deposit is required for either Wii U bundle, but PowerUp Rewards members only have to put $25 down. A number of Wii U games are also available to reserve, with the usual $5 down requirement.

In the past, the number of console pre-orders at GameStop has been extremely limited, though it varies by store. Those hoping to get a Wii U on launch day should probably move quickly.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
They really have you cranking out the Nintendo article today don't they?

If the Wii U is backwards compatible I may actually consider trading in my Wii...

Decisions...

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
I might as well trade in my Wii towards it. $60 bucks isn't bad, considering they sell the Wii used for 79.99... plus I got mine on sale and at discount, so that's actually a $11 profit for me.

If Nintendo is to be believed, the system is fully backwards compatible, but will it have room for my GC controllers? That's the deal-breaker for me, considering how much I still play Smash Bros and prefer the GC controller, plus the new one won't be due out for quite sometime.

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
Sheo_Dagana said:
I might as well trade in my Wii towards it. $60 bucks isn't bad, considering they sell the Wii used for 79.99... plus I got mine on sale and at discount, so that's actually a $11 profit for me.

If Nintendo is to be believed, the system is fully backwards compatible, but will it have room for my GC controllers? That's the deal-breaker for me, considering how much I still play Smash Bros and prefer the GC controller, plus the new one won't be due out for quite sometime.

Fappy said:

If the Wii U is backwards compatible I may actually consider trading in my Wii...

Decisions...
GC software, and parfials will not be supported by the Wii-U, but Wii will be, so choose accordingly.

Nintendo had a press conference from 10-11 ET so they should be done by maybe 2 depending on if they get other sources to (interviews, developers, etc...)

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Fappy said:

Decisions...
Backwards compatible to the Wii, but not GameCube, though GameCube games are rumored to be available in the WiiU store.

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
Interesting. I was talking to my local store the other day and they were saying how they'll most likely sell out of WiiU's on launch, but only because they aren't planning on ordering many. Apparently not many customers are actually interested in asking, let alone pre-ordering, the system. Still, it'll be interesting to see if this news has any new bearing on that.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Fappy said:
gardian06 said:
Azuaron said:
That's not going to work for me. Looks like I'll be waiting for a price drop.
Agreed. I'll hang on to my Wii and wait for a price drop. The launch list is nothing I can't get on my current consoles. Plus if I wait long enough, there's bound to be a new version of the system with better memory.

If you don't care about GC though, the trade-in deal is pretty good.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Eternal_Lament said:
Interesting. I was talking to my local store the other day and they were saying how they'll most likely sell out of WiiU's on launch, but only because they aren't planning on ordering many. Apparently not many customers are actually interested in asking, let alone pre-ordering, the system. Still, it'll be interesting to see if this news has any new bearing on that.
GameStop employee here. I don't know about other stores but at my store, there are SOME people interested, especially since we're advertizing it since who knows when. Problem is that those who were mildly interested didn't know when it was gonna be launched or the price. So they either lost interest, bought a Wii instead or bought another console.

I said it before and I'll say it again: Bad move not announcing it at E3, Nintendo. Too little, too late now.

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
Beautiful End said:
Eternal_Lament said:
GameStop employee here. I don't know about other stores but at my store, there are SOME people interested, especially since we're advertizing it since who knows when. Problem is that those who were mildly interested didn't know when it was gonna be launched or the price. So they either lost interest, bought a Wii instead or bought another console.

I said it before and I'll say it again: Bad move not announcing it at E3, Nintendo. Too little, too late now.
From what I understand from the guys at my store, either no one is even asking, or the few people who do ask think it's a handheld device but immediately lose interest when they find out it's a home console. We all seemed to be in agreement that there is a significant lack of marketing for the system, and what little there has been seems to be misdirected.