GameStop Offers First-Ever Preorder Bonus for DLC

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
GameStop Offers First-Ever Preorder Bonus for DLC

GameStop is offering the first-ever preorder bonus for DLC to gamers who preorder the Halo Reach Noble Map Pack at its retail locations in the U.S.

Things are rough for retailers of digital products. Just ask the people at Blockbuster, the once-mighty behemoth of the video rental business that stumbled into Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103739-Blockbuster-Fizzles-Into-Bankruptcy] in September. There aren't many specialty retailers more vulnerable to a similar fate than GameStop but the company is doing what it can to dodge that bullet.

Its latest gambit is a mix of old and new: Offering the tried-and-true preorder bonus reward with in-store orders for downloadable content, specifically the Noble Map Pack for Halo Reach [http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Reach-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA20M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290703004&sr=8-1]. Gamers who preorder the DLC from GameStop will also get the exclusive Mark V Spartan Flaming Helmet.

The process is simple. Instead of buying the DLC through normal channels, pop into your local GameStop, sign up for the free "PowerUp Rewards" program and then lay down your cash. On November 30 a Noble Map Pack DLC code will be delivered to the "Downloads and Add-Ons" section of your account, along with an avatar code for the Flaming Helmet. Pricing for the DLC will be the same through GameStop as it is on Xbox Live: $9.99 or 800 Microsoft points.

So, smart move? The downside is that you have to get off the couch and drag yourself to GameStop; the upside is that for the same amount of money, you get extra stuff. It seems like a pretty solid strategy to me and I wouldn't be surprised to see other big game retailers testing similar waters pretty soon. And hey, it wouldn't kill you to go outside and get some fresh air once in awhile, either.

For more information about GameStop's Halo Reach Noble Map Pack offer, check out gamestop.com [http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/haloreachdlc/].

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
As we tumble down the slippery slope...

I can't wait to get my bonuses for pre-ordering the ability to pre-order my game!

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Good idea, but all I get for getting off the couch is a flaming helmet? Not even a real one. Your gona need more than that. Any other retailers care to up the antee.....

DeASplode

Nov 26, 2009
If it's something cosmetic I guess I can live with it, but if it moves onto say "Pre-order this map pack from us and get another map free not available through XBL/PSN" then it'll bug me.

Seeing the way DLC has developed I won't be too surprised if it does happen.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
Veloxe said:

I can't wait to get my bonuses for pre-ordering the ability to pre-order my game!
Well if you are going to do those things anyway, you might as well get free stuff out of it. Yay free stuff.

One caveat though. Just as long as the free stuff is a game gimping superweapon that only only by preordering though gamestop will you be able to get it.

More stuff like that avatar clothing is fine though.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
ph0b0s123 said:
Good idea, but all I get for getting off the couch is a flaming helmet? Not even a real one. Your gona need more than that. Any other retailers care to up the antee.....
Preorder now from amazon and receive a flaming helmet you can wear in real life.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
spectrenihlus said:
ph0b0s123 said:
Preorder now from amazon and receive a flaming helmet you can wear in real life.
Tempting. Ok what's has the next retailer got. Yes, flaming helmet price wars....

Also if my spartan has a flaming helemt won't it distact him from being in combat? I mean ouch ;-)

(Don't know if this double entendre works outside the UK, applogies if not)

VZLANemesis

Jan 29, 2009
Veloxe said:

It's definitely all downhill from here.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
Well, the preorder bonus doesn't really jazz me up, but at least this is an option for people who don't want to buy XBLA cards and be left with extra points, and for the people with no credit cards.

Sinclair Solutions

Jul 22, 2010
This is a good business idea in my opinion. I expect they will get a great financial return from this. I'm often surprised on how many good business ideas Gamestop has.

(This is a completely serious post, and only analyzes their practices from a financial and business standpoint.)

Drexlor

Feb 23, 2010
This is a great idea, hopefully they will do this with a game that I will actually ever play.

RARbuddha

Jun 7, 2010
so now on a relatively large scale (not like pre-order goodies and the implementation thereof can be throw together in an afternoon...yes?) publishers are working with gamestop? was it not just a month or so ago that they (publishers) were all bitching and calling consumers out for screwing them out of money via the pre-owned games biz?

so which is it? are we the baddies for buying "pre-owned"? or are you (publishers) the baddies for keeping that which "steals" from you going?

Mr.Amakir

Jun 2, 2010
I hate DLC and i especially hates mappacks. why can´t we get this for free like all those Team Fortress 2 maps Valve gives us at random intervals. And you know what? Those maps are actually fun.

But i guess that Gamestop will earn some quick cash.