GameStop plans to be Open on Thanksgiving this Year

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
GameStop plans to be Open on Thanksgiving this Year

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1396/1396212.jpgGameStop has informed its employees that the chain will be opening its stores on Thanksgiving Day this year.

If you simply couldn't stand not being able to run out for a used game on Thanksgiving Day, GameStop will have you covered in 2017. The company informed employees yesterday on a conference call that it plans to have all its stores open on Thanksgiving Day this year.

The news comes via a report on Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/gamestop-will-be-open-on-thanksgiving-this-year-to-emp-1797408633], which says it spoke to "two people who were on those calls." While there are no final announcements on just how long stores will be open, sources did say that they were told it would be a shorter day than usual.

Back in 2014, GameStop made the decision to close all of its stores on Thanksgiving [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138303-GameStop-Closed-on-Thanksgiving-Black-Friday], a decision that lasted through last year. But this year, amid an industry shifting to digital purchasing, the company has decided to change.

Of course, staff aren't going to be happy at this news. With the growing push among customers to keep stores closed on Thanksgiving, it remains to be seen how much, if any, this move will benefit the company. It may add some sales, but the effect of the negative PR must also be considered.

GameStop has seen its shares fall of late, with its stock having dropped from around $30 a share early this year to under $22 a share today.

Blazing Hero

Feb 20, 2015
That is a lousy thing to do to their employees... I worked for GS about a decade ago and from what I hear now it has really gone downhill with the way it treats its staff.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
ffronw said:
But this year, amid an industry shifting to digital purchasing, the company has decided to change.
It's like saying, amid an industry shift towards armour-piercing ammunition, GameStop decided to move away from standard bullets and adopt NERF.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Loop Stricken said:
ffronw said:
But this year, amid an industry shifting to digital purchasing, the company has decided to change.
It's like saying, amid an industry shift towards armour-piercing ammunition, GameStop decided to move away from standard bullets and adopt NERF.
Right? I don't know if it's Gamestop or the writer trying to make a point with that statement but either way it makes no sense. This year to combat digital distribution we're gonna... spend more money keeping our doors open and paying employees to just keep on doing what we normally do!

Gamestop is dying a slow death and I don't think anyone will be shedding a tear for them along the way. It's unfortunate for the employees but their business model is fucked and outdated. Why would anyone want to go trade in their games for pennies and pay inflated prices for used product when you can get the same or better prices from any number of online retailers or key sites?

CauldrenBorn

Dec 30, 2014
Gamestop won't be happy until everyone is thoroughly agitated, and I'll never forgive them for giving me a used Dead Space 2 when I specifically asked for a new one

ima420r

Aug 14, 2008
Blazing Hero said:
That is a lousy thing to do to their employees... I worked for GS about a decade ago and from what I hear now it has really gone downhill with the way it treats its staff.
I worked for the about two decades ago (They were called Funcoland) and I can't imagine it being worse now then it was back then.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Gotta love the stuff assholes from corporate come up with. Anyone willing to take bets with me on whether corporate staff are required to be working that day?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
ima420r said:
Blazing Hero said:
I worked for the about two decades ago (They were called Funcoland) and I can't imagine it being worse now then it was back then.
Wait... Gamestop used to be Funcoland? I thought Funcoland just went out of business at some point.

Side note, I just remembered Funcoland was a thing!

Morifen

Oct 4, 2012
Avnger said:
Gotta love the stuff assholes from corporate come up with. Anyone willing to take bets with me on whether corporate staff are required to be working that day?
Corporate won't be working. I worked at Best Buy for a decade and corporate always had the day off when they made us work on holidays. They are absolutely clueless about how that effects the morale of their employees when the people that make the decision to stay open go home to spend time with their families and make everyone else work.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Morifen said:
Avnger said:
Corporate won't be working. I worked at Best Buy for a decade and corporate always had the day off when they made us work on holidays. They are absolutely clueless about how that effects the morale of their employees when the people that make the decision to stay open go home to spend time with their families and make everyone else work.
Yup. I spent 4 years in a row jetting from the family party and eating McDonalds for Thanksgiving dinner in order to start my 12 hour shift at 6pm at the Old Navy I used to work at. The combination of the timing, shift length, and the ever-be-damned Christmas tunes they put on the store radio was enough to drive those of us stuck there insane.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Noooo!
We were winning the war on Christmas!
With one more push, Black Friday would die, and we could start beating Christmas out of November and into December where it came from!
Then we could start pushing it back into a single week, then kill it for good.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
Welp, I work at one so this could potentially happen to me

AMA a GameStop employee, I guess :^)

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Well thats scummy as fuck. I don't say this lightly anyone that shops on Thanksgiving should go drink bleach.

PsychicTaco115 said:
Welp, I work at one so this could potentially happen to me

AMA a GameStop employee, I guess :^)
Why won't you give me 40 dollars for my 5 year old sports game?

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
I worked in the food industry for nearly 20 years. Working holidays in that field is par for the course. When it comes to people whining about having to work a holiday, my go to response is "cry me a river."

Slightly less acrimonious talk, it sucks for the workers but that is how it is when you work for someone else. I didn't like missing all those stat holidays when I was slaving away in a restaurant. I liked even less working Christmas Day working in a call centre for 8 hours to take three freaking calls. It is however in no way wrong to choose to be open for business on those days. It is, however, good staff relations to offer some kind of incentive to do it. Too few do. Given the sack of smashed assholes who run Gamestop, I have a feeling there will be no perks. So that sucks.

Feb 7, 2016
They probably aren't going to pay them a damn penny more either.

My job had us work every holiday as well (I can't remember if Christmas was included in that...I think it was but I luckily had off every time).

However, we got anywhere between 1.5-2x's pay depending on the holiday. They also called it "volunteer", but that meant mandatory for any of the smaller stores (such as mine).

Also loved the people that came in like "Wow, I'm sorry you have to work on *insert holiday here*"

Yeah me too. And it's so I have to serve pricks like you that didn't have the consideration enough to buy stuff you likely didn't need before hand.

And OF COURSE there are sometimes instances where things are needed, like medical supplies or maybe some ingredient you forgot for the lovely Thanksgiving dinner your family is having (and that I have to hope doesn't dry out reheated in a microwave), but Gamestop? Seriously, go fuck yourself.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
"Many of our store associates and guests have asked for this..." my entire ass.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
RoxTheMeme said:
You can preorder from Walmart-
Sure you can! [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.1000358-Wal-Mart-Cancels-SNES-Class-Pre-orders-Due-to-Technical-Glitch]

You can also fail to get your product, if it's Wal-Fart.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
RoxTheMeme said:
The stores are all full of funko pops and thinkgeek shit these days anyway.
Didn't know we had one in the city an hour away, walked in to check it out. Half of it was trash merch. What happened?